Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unregbaron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
Is filemaker suitable?
Would like something that shows when I don't have an event listed for a particular venue and their payment status...

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
If your needs are REALLY basic, you could use iCal. Give each venue its own color-coded calendar, so you can view any or all at will. Use the matching color To Do list to store payment notes.

unregbaron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
Thanks for that nagromme, I've just been re-looking at iCal and some Version Tracker downloads, quite interesting though perhaps I should say what I am working with in a bit more detail:

Content:

- Minimum 500 Venues in different countries
- Each having events lasting a few weeks

Requirements:

- Export data for web use every month for newsletter/online (currently in csv format).
- Reminder when no more events on file for a particular venue (could it even automatically email a contact saying 'we don't seem to have your next events on file please could you send them in'?)
- Ability to have notes/billing/contact info for each venue

Which is better suited to this task: Filemaker, Excel or iCal?

Thanks for any comments and I'm sorry of this seems demanding...

nagromme said:
If your needs are REALLY basic, you could use iCal. Give each venue its own color-coded calendar, so you can view any or all at will. Use the matching color To Do list to store payment notes.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Sounds like you might need something custom-scripted. I'm sure iCal (even with AppleScript) is the LEAST suitable... it's the only one of the above I've used though :D

Good luck.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Of those 3, Filemaker is you best choice. I don't think Excel as a spreadsheet program would be very useable.

iCal with a Calendar for each venue and some custom AppleScripts done up in XCode might actually do the trick. Although in truth, this does sound more like a Filemaker type of application.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.