Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

idodz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2011
Hi everybody,

I have a 21.5'' late 2009 iMac and I need to transport it by plane.

I've already tried everything and my best solution right now seems to be removing the stand and taking the iMac on the plane. There's no way I'm checking it in, even though I have the original box.

The only problem is that I don't know how to remove the stand and before disassembling everything I thought I'd ask for some tips from professionals.

Has anyone here successfully removed the stand of an iMac 21.5'' ? If so, what did it take.

The process seems very easy on a 24'' or 27'' but I haven't found any instructions for my 21.5.

Thank you

idodz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2011
I managed to do this by taking out 80% of the stuff in it. It took me more than 4 hours to disassemble the iMac and reassemble everything except for the stand.

Althought I strongly advise everybody against doing this, this guide will get you through 90% of the steps:
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-iMac-Intel-21-5-Inch-Hard-Drive-Fan/1853/1

Once you remove the HDD Fan, all you have to do is remove the cover from stand and unscrew the stand.

Then you have to follow the tutorial in reverse order and reassemble your iMac.
Double check every single wire, because you can easily break something.

chris98vf

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2010
best thing you could do would be measure the dimensions of the box and see if it fits as a carry on. I took my 17" iMac in it's original box which was much bulkier than the new 21.5" boxes. Cool thing is you get to use it as an ottoman at the gate area as you wait and it's worth the few weird looks you get.

Hello,Im-A-Mac

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2013
Australia
I managed to do this by taking out 80% of the stuff in it. It took me more than 4 hours to disassemble the iMac and reassemble everything except for the stand.

Althought I strongly advise everybody against doing this, this guide will get you through 90% of the steps:
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-iMac-Intel-21-5-Inch-Hard-Drive-Fan/1853/1

Once you remove the HDD Fan, all you have to do is remove the cover from stand and unscrew the stand.

Then you have to follow the tutorial in reverse order and reassemble your iMac.
Double check every single wire, because you can easily break something.

Could you please tell me how the stand is screwed in? Is it just screwed in with those end screws like on the older Cinema Displays or is it all those little screws like on the newer iMacs...Or??

Also, Since you've removed your stand. Could you post some photo's of your iMac and what it looks like now? I'd like to see what you've done to it!

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
Google the instructions for installing the Apple VESA adpater....you have to remove the stand for that. It's been a while since I did it, but you need a plastic "credit-card-like" tool and the proper size hex wrenches to remove the stand from the outside of the iMac.

Hello,Im-A-Mac

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2013
Australia
Google the instructions for installing the Apple VESA adpater....you have to remove the stand for that. It's been a while since I did it, but you need a plastic "credit-card-like" tool and the proper size hex wrenches to remove the stand from the outside of the iMac.

No fhall. You can't do that with the 21.5" iMacs. That's the whole point of this thread...Trying to find a way to remove the stand!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.