Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Starlights

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2011
After doing some prelim research i figured that OSX, even though it doesnt support TRIM - does not substantially slow down the SSD - so thats great.

My question is, i am planning to install Win 7 via Bootcamp - Now how do i go about that to make sure that the TRIM command is activated - and how does that partition for installing Windows needs to be formatted for best results - NTFS ?

TIA

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Format it as NTFS (which is Windows 7's default). TRIM will run automatically in the background when you boot into Boot Camp. Again, it's Windows 7's default setting.

Starlights

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2011
Format it as NTFS (which is Windows 7's default). TRIM will run automatically in the background when you boot into Boot Camp. Again, it's Windows 7's default setting.

Great - so just a normal install via BC and dont have to tweak for TRIM? !! Thanks!

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Yup! Also, fyi, even though OS X doesn't support TRIM on a software level, the SSD's that Apple uses* support TRIM on a hardware level. Windows may detect that, and not use TRIM either, as it'll be done on a hardware level and not a software level.

*The current SSD's in the MacBook Air's. I'm not sure about the standard 2.5" SSD's in their other laptops.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Yup! Also, fyi, even though OS X doesn't support TRIM on a software level, the SSD's that Apple uses* support TRIM on a hardware level. Windows may detect that, and not use TRIM either, as it'll be done on a hardware level and not a software level.

*The current SSD's in the MacBook Air's. I'm not sure about the standard 2.5" SSD's in their other laptops.

The hardware has to support trim for the software to use it. Just about every SSD on the market today supports the TRIM function and many of the older ones that didn't, like the original X25 M from Intel have firmware upgrades that add that functionality.

DeusEx

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2010

I installed Window 7 via Boot Camp when I got my 13" Air last month - just found out about TRIM recently - does it automatically run when Win 7 was installed? So, is TRIM actually running on my Air at the moment when I'm on Win 7?

DeusEx

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2010
I installed Window 7 via Boot Camp when I got my 13" Air last month - just found out about TRIM recently - does it automatically run when Win 7 was installed? So, is TRIM actually running on my Air at the moment when I'm on Win 7?

Does anyone know?

Arinoth

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

It runs in the background whenever the computer is idle.

karsten

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010

only on your windows partition however.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.