Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Incredible

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Southern California
Is there a 3rd Generation being released this year? This is just from what I've heard somewhere.

That the 3rd Gen Apple TV will be able to support 1080p playback.

It pisses me off how iTunes has their HD movies which is just 720p, and in no time, they're going to have 1080p movies.

I try to be a smart consumer, which is why I'm still holding out on the Apple TV.

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
It was 3-4 years between ATV1 and ATV2...I think ATV2 has a lot more development software wise to happen before ATV3 rears its head.

The reason Apples movie standard is 720p is more based around internet speeds then trying to delay support for 1080. I could try and calculate dload times for various length movies at differing resolutions, but you can see the issue. The internet just isn't up to it yet.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Engadget is reporting that the "A5" processor will support 1080p, and that it will be coming to the Apple TV. This will likely happen at the iPod event in September if it is true.

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
No doubt as the Apple TV moves out from its 'hobbyist' label that Steve has used on it for years, the product cycle will speed up, but to go from 3-4years to yearly I just cant see....yet. Maybe 2 years?? That would make it an announced ATV3 toward the end of this year for an actual release next year.

Then again....do I work for Apple? So I suppose anything is possible.

iKennett

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2007
I don't think Apple know how well Apple TV will perform into the future if they maintain the off balance between user freedom and lock down like they do now.

I would expect Apple to release the App store for Apple TV first and then finalise the design for Apple Tv 3.

I'll be even more surprised if Apple don't introduce some regional extras like BBC iPlayer in the UK. TV is a very regional thing and a global product doesn't sit well everywhere!

cheeseblock

macrumors member
May 23, 2010
SLC, UT
They should update it to bring FaceTime into the TV room.

that's a great idea, especially when the technology is only on wifi anyway, why not be able to facetime while watching TV instead of only while on your iphone?

but i still think that the current $99 :apple:TV is a great deal, and does a lot for the money (especially when compared to the first gen)

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
Now that the AppleTV is an iOS device, I would expect it to get regular updates. Seems like these tend to happen once a year, so I would expect an update later this year. The September iPod event (as already mentioned) seems to make sense.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Rootman said:
but i still think that the current $99 :apple:TV is a great deal, and does a lot for the money (especially when compared to the first gen)

What does it do over Gen1? Allows netflix - not here in UK, only allows streaming - now have to have iTunes running to use it. Can't think of anything else it does over Gen1.

I have a Gen1 and like the fact I can sync, it's used for the kids & wife, and having synced content allows them to watch no problems when I'm not in (they are all non techy!!)

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
"does a lot for the money (especially when compared to the first gen)"

I think he was referring more to the fact that it's significantly cheaper than the 1st gen ATV, not that it does more.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

What does it do over Gen1? Allows netflix - not here in UK, only allows streaming - now have to have iTunes running to use it. Can't think of anything else it does over Gen1.

I have a Gen1 and like the fact I can sync, it's used for the kids & wife, and having synced content allows them to watch no problems when I'm not in (they are all non techy!!)

For anyone who has purchased a standard HDTV over the last 12 months, the ATV2 really doesn't do anything new besides offer people iTunes content right to their HDTV. The vast majority of HDTVs being sold now already have Netflix, Youtube, Hulu Plus, and all that crap already built into them. I would say that Apple better get going with their ATV App Store because all the major TV makers already have theirs up and running.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Learned to have not count Apple out for anything....

For anyone who has purchased a standard HDTV over the last 12 months, the ATV2 really doesn't do anything new besides offer people iTunes content right to their HDTV. The vast majority of HDTVs being sold now already have Netflix, Youtube, Hulu Plus, and all that crap already built into them. I would say that Apple better get going with their ATV App Store because all the major TV makers already have theirs up and running.

Apple has shown for sometime they can produce things that we can't seem to live without... I had been on the fence about the ATV2 at first. But given that my HDTV is about three years old, and my bedroom TV is is basically a monitor - ATV2 fits in nicely with my Mac setup.

My collection of DVD's converted to my desktop Mac for playback to the ATV2; through the iTunes library. Add the Apple Remote from my iPad and using the ATV2 is awesome. The ability to stream my iTunes music through out the house as I do chores is sweet as well. Control from central server point is where it is at for me.

I don't see an ATV3 till at least next year. Till then I see Apple adding an ATV App store; and Hulu Plus being added with the subscriptions service that Apple is working on with News Corp with the Daily app.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
For anyone who has purchased a standard HDTV over the last 12 months, the ATV2 really doesn't do anything new besides offer people iTunes content right to their HDTV.

Or content straight from an iPhone or iPad, which I've used a lot more than I thought I would. It's pretty slick.

mikerudolph22

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
DC Metro Area
beats AirPort Express Base Station

True, my tv does have all that stuff...but if you want your iTunes content in the living room without having your computer there, ATV2 is a WAY better deal than buying the identically priced AirPort Express base station. Plus it adds the Apple Store videos into that mix...although Amazon OnDemand and VUDU (vudu has 1080p video rentals) are way better.

Anyway, for me, at $99 in the US, it was a good deal.

Photics

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2011
I was writing about the Apple TV on my site today. Basically, the article goes like this...

Even at $99, the 2010 Apple TV doesn't do anything that special. The most useful feature to me is that it can run Netflix. Yet, my iPhone runs Netflix. And with a $30 cable, I can simply connect my iPhone to my TV - and charge up my iPhone at the same time.

Apple could be a game changer - literally. It should be a game console. For $99, or even $150 with a Wiimote type of device, it could revolutionize TV and Game Consoles.

• TV Channels as Apps, as a way to circumvent cable companies... à-la-carte pricing.
  • Cheap games... Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, Cut The Rope... Nintendo's nightmare.
  • Game Center can compete with XBOX live and PlayStation Network

At $99, that's a cheap Christmas gift. I almost bought one, but no one really wanted it. They either didn't understand what it could do... or when they understood, they weren't impressed.

The Apple TV is either a missed opportunity... or the groundwork for an assault on the living room.

adbe

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008

As does my Blu-Ray player, but the experience is miserable.

The ATV (and for that matter XBMC, PS3, and 360) offer(s) a much better UI than most TV/Blu-Rays.

Not that this saved TiVo.

adbe

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
The most useful feature to me is that it can run Netflix.

I imagine for most users iTunes is the key feature.

Yet, my iPhone runs Netflix. And with a $30 cable, I can simply connect my iPhone to my TV - and charge up my iPhone at the same time.

That's fine, but not really useful in a family environment.

Apple could be a game changer - literally. It should be a game console. For $99, or even $150 with a Wiimote type of device, it could revolutionize TV and Game Consoles.

People who want a games console capable of running Netflix have a pretty complete choice already. Two of them do better than 720p as well.

TV Channels as Apps, as a way to circumvent cable companies... à-la-carte pricing.

Apple have no ability to make this happen.

Cheap games... Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, Cut The Rope... Nintendo's nightmare.

Not really. Nintendo's nightmare is that people stop buying expensive 1st party Nintendo titles. Angry Birds is not going to dent the market for Mario Galaxy.

The Apple TV is either a missed opportunity... or the groundwork for an assault on the living room.

It's a placeholder while Apple try to gauge where the market is headed.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
True, my tv does have all that stuff...but if you want your iTunes content in the living room without having your computer there, ATV2 is a WAY better deal than buying the identically priced AirPort Express base station. Plus it adds the Apple Store videos into that mix...although Amazon OnDemand and VUDU (vudu has 1080p video rentals) are way better.

Anyway, for me, at $99 in the US, it was a good deal.

Maybe I am missing something here.... how does iTunes content stream to the ATV2 without the main computer with the iTunes library being active work? Are you talking about Airplay? Or is there something I am missing in using my Airport Extreme?

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Sort of a competing MR review :)

{Hopefully the mods will not mind a separate post to reply to yours - know it is poor form to follow-up quickly...}

I was writing about the Apple TV on my site today. Basically, the article goes like this...

Even at $99, the 2010 Apple TV doesn't do anything that special. The most useful feature to me is that it can run Netflix. Yet, my iPhone runs Netflix. And with a $30 cable, I can simply connect my iPhone to my TV - and charge up my iPhone at the same time.

• TV Channels as Apps, as a way to circumvent cable companies... à-la-carte pricing.
  • Cheap games... Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, Cut The Rope... Nintendo's nightmare.
  • Game Center can compete with XBOX live and PlayStation Network

At $99, that's a cheap Christmas gift. I almost bought one, but no one really wanted it. They either didn't understand what it could do... or when they understood, they weren't impressed.

Read your review (unlike others that might slam you without reading it through first...) Some may call you a troll as a newbie here... but your bias does come through.

Too be fair many of us that bought the ATV2 did not look at it as a game machine like you thought they could have made it. Maybe that will come with an ATV2 app store. Till then accept the ATV2 for it is... a great way to view videos, listen to music, and look at photos.

One of the key points that made me happy that I went with the ATV2 over your solution of the iPhone with the component cable was:

Within moments of receiving the cable, I had it hooked up to my TV and I was watching Netflix. The picture quality was pretty good too. While not perfect replacement for an Apple TV, it’s good enough.

Some of us are willing to pay the price to get past "good enough". Though I do want to see about trying your solution to just see how good the video is.

It’s a bit of a hassle to change movies. I actually have to stand up and walk over to the iOS device. Since I was using a laptop on my living room TV, the iPhone is actually a more elegant Netflix player. Another annoying issue – notifications. If you’re in the middle of a good movie, a sudden text message can ruin the mood.

I haven't tried my iPhone as a remote much, my iPad proved to be a better companion with the movies I have in iTunes. For me I want my viewing pleasure to be just that... my iPhone sitting near by with notifications without interrupting my movie.

These problems are software related. Apple could add better support for hooking up an iPhone / iPad / iPod Touch to the TV. Yet, that would probably hurt Apple TV sales. But since an Apple TV is not ready to play games — at least not yet — I decided to save money.

Saving money is cool as long as saving it you are willing to live with the limitations.... in the end you decided against the ATV2 without really trying it. Though for those folks out there with an iPhone and limited funds you gave an option.

A final thought on your comment:

The Apple TV doesn’t have a screen and isn’t meant to go anywhere. It’s just a thing that connects to a TV… and it doesn’t even include the HDMI cable to do even that.

One of the things you have to realize about any company that sells a product, is that add-ons add to the overall profit for them and their resellers. "Want fries with that?" or " "You want desert to finish off you meal?".

Yes, many of us have extra cables hanging around. You have to just ask anyone that sells a printer; just how often they add a USB printer cable when their customer purchases a printer now a days. LOL

HDMI is not there as of yet in my experience at the store I work at.....

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
First and foremost, the Apple TV is an APPLE centric product - that is the value add over the other boxes like the Roku, etc.

You can rent movies and TV shows from the ITUNES STORE. You can stream ITUNES music from your IPHONE or IPAD or iTUNES.

For people who have media from the iTunes store, and in iTunes, it is a fantastic product.

If you are NOT using iTunes, or NOT using an iPhone or iPad, etc, then it's not for you. It's not designed to work with other things.

The Nexflix streaming is a bonus, and one of the few non-Apple centric things it does.

If you want something that fits in with all of your Apple products, then get an Apple TV. If you want something that does more than that - then get one of the other products, because you are going to be disappointed with the Apple TV.

For me it is a no brainer, and it does everything I want. If they add an ATV store with some new apps like HULU plus, etc, that would be even better.

WiiDSmoker

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
No. Show me a Blu-Ray player that lets me stream my iTunes media, does NetFlix, YouTube, supports movie and TV show rentals, and supports AirPlay. Oh.. right, there are none.

That can go both ways.

Show me an Apple TV that lets me use Vudu, Amazon, BlockBuster and supports DLNA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.