Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MACloop

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 18, 2009
Germany
Hello,
I have noticed that when installing an app containing a mapView there is a part of the map cached in the app? Is that correct?

The thing is - I am writing an app where the user may see some POI within a specific area. This area will always be the same area with the same POI's. The problem is that within this area the mobile signal is very low or even nonexcistent. In order to let the user see the points on the map even if the iphone has no access to the internet, I thought I had to make some caching here. Surprisingly thou, I noticed that if I run and build the app on my iphone, with the airplane mode set, the map for the area definied in the app (region etc) is available anyway. Only if I go outside of the in-app-defined-area , offcourse no data are available, i.e no map is displayed but grey squares.

Is this correct? Is this how it works? Or do I have some data cached from before on my iphone makeing this possible?

Thanks in advance for any comments on this!
MACloop

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.