Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I haven't seen complaining about this or discussion at all for that matter (I am sure it is coming anytime now) so i thought to share a bit of info and get the ball rolling.

Jailbreak Monte is the name given to the current way that the Dev team is Making the 4.2.1 Jailbreak untethered, this method is a way to recycle exploits by convincing the device that it's running a given firmware right up to the pwnage step (on the current version 4.2b3), then switching to the newer firmware at a later time before the whole process is completed.

This current iteration of redsn0w require you to have 4.2b3 SHSHs and also access to the 4.2b3 IPSW, which is pushing the JB community way to close the the "piricy" issue line (and nigher I nor the developer like to be there).

So Dev team have been working hard to port the same exploit to use 4.1 SHSHs (and IPSW) which most Jailbreaker should have (leaving just minor population out of those who got the phones with 4.2.1 stock or replace).

@MuscleNerd actually accomplished just this last night

@MuscleNerd said:
Turns out the 4.1-blob version of Monte wasn't so hard :) http://is.gd/3yMmRb ... Next step: http://is.gd/Mexjh2

Now he is on the road to port the same method into the 4.3b2 and start experimenting with it until 4.3 is release, giving us a great chance to have a JB ready at release date (or just a few days later) that include no only the GSM iPhone but the CDMA iPhone As well. (this is also why TU and Cydia started saving the 4.3b2 blobs).

Edit: I forgot to mention that the recycling of the same exploit will allow to save the exploit that the new Greenpois0n tool from the Chronic Dev team just demoed a few days back to be save to future uses, either as 4.3 backup or maybe even later. Of course this is to the discretion of the team, which IMO is the best thing to do for the whole community.

Edit 2: Please note that I said "giving us a great chance to have a JB ready at release date (or just a few days later)", Niether I nor any of the team are "promising" or "setting in stone" a release date for the new tool. It is just good news for now but things can change in no time with new betas and other road blocks that could be found on the way

Last edited:

numanuma89

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2011
That would mean new users like me who just bought an iPhone with no SHSH saved to be doomed...:(

maturola

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
That would mean new users like me who just bought an iPhone with no SHSH saved to be doomed...:(

Not really, that just means good news for everyone else, for people in your case, you just need to wait for other options. Not even close to "doomed"....

numanuma89

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2011
I know....I'm actually running on tethered through redsnow now. And, it's actually good enough. :)

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2010
Tethered 4.2.1 jailbreak is great. Just have to put my phone into airplane mode when landing or taking off on flights. Shhh, don't tell nobody!

crampinator

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
Actually, we are doomed. Don't tell me untethered jailbreaking should be exclusive to those with older phones or people who have previously jailbroken. It's not my fault Apple gave me a new phone.

CZK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2010
Dev-Team......................................................................Thats sad.

Maverick1337

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2008
The Dev-Team won't leave people with new iPhones in the dust. Then what would they work on? They are always trying to jailbreak/hack the latest and greatest. They won't stop just because they can do the same with older hashes. If the Dev-Team won't, then someone else will. Geohot might come in and save the day!

fsck-y dingo

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
Actually, we are doomed. Don't tell me untethered jailbreaking should be exclusive to those with older phones or people who have previously jailbroken. It's not my fault Apple gave me a new phone.

It's not as if the untethered jailbreak is exclusive to older phones for spite. I can't speak for them but I'm pretty sure they'd love to have there tools work for everyone and every device. They're very talented coders and hackers, not miracle workers.

Wowzera

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Brazil
It's useless for me and my iPhone 4. Dev-team aren't as experts as people think. Hope a new hacker pop up!

It's not dev team's fault for not giving something that you want.

Yep, not their fault. All we need to do is wait for more experienced and talented hackers. Dev-team are stuck into their "recycling" methods.

Scott90

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
I've read about it here and there (mainly MuscleNerd's twitter), but what exactly is that piracy issue? Using a firmware version that's not available for download on the Apple servers?

Btw, when I go into Cydia, it doesn't tell me the 4.3b2 blobs are saved. Anything I can do to make sure it does save it?

Last edited:

Maverick1337

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2008
@Scott90

Download latest version of tinyumbrella. Have your phone plugged in and click save all SHSHs and it will save any that it can. It will also show that it has been successfully completed. Saved SHSHs won't show up in Cydia sometimes between "4-8weeks" Sauriks words not mine. As long as Tinyumbrella has it you're golden :)

HPLouis

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2010
@Scott90

Download latest version of tinyumbrella. Have your phone plugged in and click save all SHSHs and it will save any that it can. It will also show that it has been successfully completed. Saved SHSHs won't show up in Cydia sometimes between "4-8weeks" Sauriks words not mine. As long as Tinyumbrella has it you're golden :)

Hi Maverick,
I apologize for the threadjack but did you save your 1.59 BB with TinyUmbrella?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
@Scott90

Exactly.

Maverick1337

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2008
Hi Maverick,
I apologize for the threadjack but did you save your 1.59 BB with TinyUmbrella?

It's a trick only available to iPhone 4 users. Download the 4.2.1 IPSW for the iPhone for, then plug your phone in and shift/command + click on UPGRADE (not restore) in iTunes and select the 4.2.1 IPSW. iTunes will run through the motions and almost at the end you'll get an Erro (1013) which is good. It just means that you're baseband is staying at 1.59.00. From here you're iPhone will be put into recovery mode. Once this happens, open up tinyumbrella and select your device and click "Kick out of Recovery" and once you click that you're phone will be upgraded to 4.2.1 with the 1.59.00 baseband. CAUTION *** iPhone 4 only and you have to UPGRADE.

HPLouis

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2010
It's a trick only available to iPhone 4 users. Download the 4.2.1 IPSW for the iPhone for, then plug your phone in and shift/command + click on UPGRADE (not restore) in iTunes and select the 4.2.1 IPSW. iTunes will run through the motions and almost at the end you'll get an Erro (1013) which is good. It just means that you're baseband is staying at 1.59.00. From here you're iPhone will be put into recovery mode. Once this happens, open up tinyumbrella and select your device and click "Kick out of Recovery" and once you click that you're phone will be upgraded to 4.2.1 with the 1.59.00 baseband. CAUTION *** iPhone 4 only and you have to UPGRADE.

Thank you,
Henry

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
It's useless for me and my iPhone 4. Dev-team aren't as experts as people think. Hope a new hacker pop up!

Yep, not their fault. All we need to do is wait for more experienced and talented hackers. Dev-team are stuck into their "recycling" methods.
If you don't like their methods, go find your own exploit and make a jailbreak with it.

If they can, the recycling makes sense - that way it's less likely the other exploit will be patched before it can be turned into a jailbreak for the next version, etc.

And not the Dev Team's fault Apple doesn't publish guides to "HERE"S AN EXPLOIT YOU CAN JAILBREAK WITH!" either.

Wowzera

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Brazil
If you don't like their methods, go find your own exploit and make a jailbreak with it.

If they can, the recycling makes sense - that way it's less likely the other exploit will be patched before it can be turned into a jailbreak for the next version, etc.

And not the Dev Team's fault Apple doesn't publish guides to "HERE"S AN EXPLOIT YOU CAN JAILBREAK WITH!" either.

I have nothing against dev-team but as they don't bring anything new to the scene, but recycling, we all would like to see new hackers to give us an untethered jb.
What about everyone that defends dev-team says: "make yourself a jailbreak!" :D

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008

Yep.

I gather it has to do with the fact that on iPhone 4 Apple uses separate SHSH signatures for the firmware AND the baseband, rather than bundling them together as on the other models. Wish this trick worked for 3GS :(

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Yep.

I gather it has to do with the fact that on iPhone 4 Apple uses separate SHSH signatures for the firmware AND the baseband, rather than bundling them together as on the other models. Wish this trick worked for 3GS :(

Yes, that's basicly what it is.
It uses different and more complicated shsh's for the baseband upgrade and you can also use those to downgrade if you time it right while Apple still signs the old firmware version. Only for iphone 4's though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.