Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jan 24, 2011, 05:37 PM   #1
Paulywauly
macrumors 6502a

Need to "downgrade" macs as im getting married!

Basically my girlfriend finally asked me to marry her a few days ago and i said yes. Now i wanna buy her a really cool engagement ring and ill be honest i dont really have much spare money.

My main idea so far is "downgrading" from my current Late 2009 model iMac (with 8GB ram, extra Magic Trackpad, remote and Applecare) by selling it and buying the cheapest mac i can for my needs.

I love my current iMac to bits it does everything i need, but i guess sometimes you gotta sacrifice things. Has anyone else ever done anything like this?

The cheapest i could find were G4 powermac towers and they dont look too bad (about 100-150 for a good one, would anyone recommend them?)

I do have a late model 1Ghz iMac G4 with a gig of RAM but i use it as a kitchen hifi due to its limited networking speeds (i copy alot of data around at home e.g network backups, moving large video files etc) so i dont think it would be suitable.

any thoughts appreciated!
Old Jan 24, 2011, 05:55 PM   #2
VanneDC
macrumors 6502a

Congrats mate!!!! on getting engaged...

yeah you should be able to pick up a Dual G5 for pretty cheap, there good boxes and will run rings around the G4's
oh and what are the basic needs?

that said, mate with a wedding to plan and a ring to buy, no doubt you will be needing every last cent over the coming 12 or so months...

hope you have a slush fund. lol (i know what your going to be going through, did the very same thing last year myself)

congrats again and good luck with it all
VanneDC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 06:08 PM   #3
chrismacguy
macrumors 68000

Congratulations - If you need an Intel Mac, look for a Mac Mini (early one) - they can be had for $300 or so, just avoid a Core Solo model because that is less powerful than the Dual G5s.
chrismacguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 06:13 PM   #4
Paulywauly
macrumors 6502a

Thanks Guys

An intel Mac would defiantly be preferable as i could boot it from a clone disc of my current one, strangely i hadn't considered a Mini

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs