Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chris98vf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
This has bothered me for some time. I tried to install Directv2PC on my bootcamp partition of my Mid 2010 21.5 Intel i3 3.2GHz iMac. It installs fine under Windows 7 and will even run but as soon as I try to start watching off of my DVR it will play for about 2 seconds and give an error saying that I'm not using a proper output. I have gone out and got the latest video card drivers for my Bootcamp side and can only think that the mini display port is showing as open in the config.
Is there a way to shut this off in windows at all? Has anyone ever had success running this program?
Thanks in advance!

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
This has bothered me for some time. I tried to install Directv2PC on my bootcamp partition of my Mid 2010 21.5 Intel i3 3.2GHz iMac. It installs fine under Windows 7 and will even run but as soon as I try to start watching off of my DVR it will play for about 2 seconds and give an error saying that I'm not using a proper output. I have gone out and got the latest video card drivers for my Bootcamp side and can only think that the mini display port is showing as open in the config.
Is there a way to shut this off in windows at all? Has anyone ever had success running this program?
Thanks in advance!

It works fine on my Windows gaming laptops so there must be something going on with your particular config or the way Windows sees the GPU on the Mac. Usually these issues are related to not having the latest drivers. Have you tried using the ATI/AMD drivers from ATI/AMD? Even though not particularly recommended this sometimes helps with games and perhaps will work for this application.

Cheers,

dh2005

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
Excuse me for butting in, OP...

I happened to be passing, and noticed that your iMac has 12GB of RAM. I'm currently at 4, and looking to add 8 more if the machine will address it. I trust it's all fine? Doesn't need to be 4, 8, or 16...?

Actually, while I'm asking... are any multiples of two okay?

Last edited:

chris98vf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Excuse me for butting in, OP...

I happened to be passing, and noticed that your iMac has 12GB of RAM. I'm currently at 4, and looking to add 8 more if the machine will address it. I trust it's all fine? Doesn't need to be 4, 8, or 16...?

Actually, while I'm asking... are any multiples of two okay?

works fine, go to crucial.com and download the memory adviser app, it will tell you exactly what you can do. You don't need exact matching pairs but matching manufactures are usually a plus.

chris98vf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
It works fine on my Windows gaming laptops so there must be something going on with your particular config or the way Windows sees the GPU on the Mac. Usually these issues are related to not having the latest drivers. Have you tried using the ATI/AMD drivers from ATI/AMD? Even though not particularly recommended this sometimes helps with games and perhaps will work for this application.

Cheers,

I downloaded the drivers directly from the ATI website, not the Bootcamp update.

djc6

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
Cleveland, OH
I use DirectTV2PC on my 13" Macbook Pro with Bootcamp and Windows 7. I was having problems until I disabled my optical audio output - it seems the bootcamp drivers for the sound card don't implement HDCP. The problem was that DirecTV2PC didn't like that a digital means of outputting audio without honoring copyright protection was available! Gasp!

Also, I had terrible problems getting DirectTV2PC to work reliably wirelessly using my HR21-700 High Def DVR... only once I got an HR24-500 did DirecTV2PC work reliably over wireless.

hurricanegio

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2011

Cheers,

I was looking at their site t get the drives. I pull down the Boot Camp ones, correct for Win7?

hurricanegio

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2011
I use DirectTV2PC on my 13" Macbook Pro with Bootcamp and Windows 7. I was having problems until I disabled my optical audio output - it seems the bootcamp drivers for the sound card don't implement HDCP. The problem was that DirecTV2PC didn't like that a digital means of outputting audio without honoring copyright protection was available! Gasp!

Also, I had terrible problems getting DirectTV2PC to work reliably wirelessly using my HR21-700 High Def DVR... only once I got an HR24-500 did DirecTV2PC work reliably over wireless.

How did you disable the optical audio output?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.