Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jan 25, 2011, 02:29 AM   #1
Sharina
macrumors newbie

Exclamation Powerbook G4 won't boot after using it in Target Mode

Hi All,

I recently purchased a new Macbook pro i7 and gave my old leopard Macbook pro to my boyfriend. He had an old Powerbook G4 and was in the process of transferring over data to his "New" Macbook Pro 2.16 Intel Core Duo. I told him how to start the Powerbook G4 as a target drive attached via firewire to the Macbook Pro. He was able to do so and transfer and copy the data he needed (mostly transferring of iTunes data i.e Applications, Settings, and Music). He ejected the disk properly and shut down.

Tonight, he tried to boot up the G4 and it would start up (to a white screen only and nothing else) and then shut down immediately. No apple logo no nothing, just a white screen. Since he could not boot the computer, he once again attached the G4 to the Macbook Pro via firewire as a target drive. When it booted as a Target drive, a message came up saying something like "This drive is damaged and can not be repaired by this computer. You should back it up" When he looked into the drive he noticed his iTunes files were no longer on the G4 drive. All of his other documents he transferred were still on the computer however he could not add any files from the Macbook to the G4 target drive.

When he tried to add files onto the G4 target drive, a message along these lines popped up "Documents (or whatever folder) cannot be modified." I believe the reason this happens is because you cannot add any files to a target drive, right?

Any ideas to why the computer will not boot and shuts down after a white screen? Also, any ideas on the message "This drive is damaged and can not be repaired by this computer. You should back it up" ?? Some type of compatibility issues because the G4 is old ?? Thank you for your time and help on this one.
Sharina is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 06:05 AM   #2
Nameci
macrumors 68000

Send a message via MSN to Nameci Send a message via Yahoo to Nameci Send a message via Skype™ to Nameci
corrupted drive or physical damage to the drive perhaps? Is the drive on the powerbook a new drive or an old 5 year old one?

Perhaps it was just a coincidence it got faulty that time.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 02:10 PM   #3
Sharina
macrumors newbie

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameci View Post
corrupted drive or physical damage to the drive perhaps? Is the drive on the powerbook a new drive or an old 5 year old one?

Perhaps it was just a coincidence it got faulty that time.
Thanks for the response, Nameci. I have been targeting drives like this for a while and have never had this problem. It's new to me but I was hoping that it might be a common problem with a common solution, however, I found no immediate help on my search for answers. The Powerbook drive is probably the original drive and its more than 5 years old. There is a possibility that it could have been coincidence. We have not yet run disk utility but it will be our next step. There was no physical damage done to the computer at or near time of incident.

If anyone else has had a problem like this please share your insight or any known steps to a solution. Thank you again
Sharina is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs