Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mhaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
Canada
I love my rev A 1.6/80GB HDD -- it isn't without its flaws but it has served me well: survived countless trips to cottage country, 5 weeks backpacking across Japan, and a month in the UK & Europe to name a few. I use it almost daily for web development, light graphic design, light post-production work on photos, and my all-round travel computer. However, she's starting to show her age and instead of dropping ~$1800 CAD + tax on the Ultimate Air and losing my lit keyboard in the process, I was wondering if it would be a worthwhile improvement in replacing the HDD with an SSD.

My AppleCare will also expire in a month or two, so I won't mind voiding my warranty. If I can find a suitable SSD for <$500 CAD and would see a notable improvement in HD video playback, Skype, and my graphics work that could last me an extra year -- I'd be happy. So... thoughts?

edit - yes, I'm reading threads like this one but wanted some personal feedback too ... :)

Last edited:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
You'll definitely notice a speed boost (I had a 1.8GHz 80GB Rev A), but you'll notice a much bigger one going to a Rev D. You don't necessarily need the Ultimate. The 1.86GHz 13" or even the 1.6GHz 11" would be significantly faster. Remember, the Rev D has a significantly faster GPU than the Rev A, which just had Intel Integrated Graphics. It also has a second USB port, and much better heat management than the Rev A, which was notorious for overheating.

Even the 1.4GHz 11" would likely be faster. The processor in the Rev A rarely had a chance to stay at full speed because of the heat issue.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
If you don't want to lose most of the features of the Rev. A, but still want a snappier machine, have you considered a refurb Rev. C from the Apple Store? The prices on them are great, and it would most likely last you at least as long as your current Air has lasted you. They run cooler, faster, have the much improved 9400M, and have the same form factor and feature set that you have come to know and love.

dokindo

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2009
I had a Rev A with a 64gb runcore but sold it to get a Rev d. The SSD definitely improved the Rev A, but in my opinion the boost to the Rev D was even greater.

Mhaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
Canada
Hmmm... had not considered the refurb C & D's -- can't see any in the Apple Store at this point, but what am I looking at in terms of price (understanding it depends on the config options available)? <$1000?

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
Hmmm... had not considered the refurb C & D's -- can't see any in the Apple Store at this point, but what am I looking at in terms of price (understanding it depends on the config options available)? <$1000?

The refurb Cs were 850 and 1020, HD and SSD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.