Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jan 25, 2011, 06:02 PM   #1
kappax12
macrumors member

2010 air 13 screen hinge crooked??

so i was in class and i felted the back on the screen hinge by the aluminum part on my right side, the black hinge is not flush (as in when i put my finger and slide it across it is no straight with the surface) with the aluminum, the hinge is inward a little bit, compare to the normal side for the left side (also pictured).

not really a big deal but i figure i post it up and see if anyone with the 2010 air 13 or 11 have this problem.

on the right side, where i see the problem

this is the left side, its normal
kappax12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 09:25 PM   #2
markr346
macrumors newbie

Mine is the exact same - hardly noticeable and now I can blame you for making me aware of it!!!!
markr346 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 07:57 AM   #3
jamesryanbell
macrumors 68020

Wow, that's pretty sketchy.
jamesryanbell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 09:21 AM   #4
klover
macrumors 6502a

My 11-inch MBA doesn't have that issue but my previous MBP 13" did.

I swapped screens between two MBP 13's last year and when putting them back together, left one with a very similiar offset. That plastic is a fairly thin housing for the panel cables, hinges, etc. that can be twisted easily - especially when you are screwing down the hinges into the base.

It never once impacted the hinge, it's movement, or rigidity. I would not be concerned about it in the slightest unless it's a cosmetic irritant to you.
klover is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:38 AM   #5
Cheplampardfan
macrumors member

OP, is that an invisishield on ur MBA ?? Looks good
Cheplampardfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 11:35 AM   #6
kappax12
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheplampardfan View Post
OP, is that an invisishield on ur MBA ?? Looks good
its a wrapsol
Old Jan 26, 2011, 12:26 PM   #7
Jman14
macrumors 6502

My Dad got new 13" Air from work, he noticed it right away. He took it back, and they replaced it. The new one has yet to suffer from this. I'd get it looked at.
Jman14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 12:34 PM   #8
TheRealDamager
macrumors 65816

Don't take this personally, because I'm all for people feeling however they feel about things, but I'm completely convinced that Apple products have a much higher level of OCD buyers than other products. Seriously - I'm blown away by the nitpicky stuff that bothers people.

But to each his (or her) own.
TheRealDamager is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 12:42 PM   #9
kappax12
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealDamager View Post
Don't take this personally, because I'm all for people feeling however they feel about things, but I'm completely convinced that Apple products have a much higher level of OCD buyers than other products. Seriously - I'm blown away by the nitpicky stuff that bothers people.

But to each his (or her) own.
i agree, i mean apple products are expensive, majority expect a perfect build.

i figure i point this hinge out to see if anyone else have it. its no problem to me.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 12:48 PM   #10
Psilocybin
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to Psilocybin
To some it's like buying a car, would you like something to be a bit off or crooked on a brand new car?
Psilocybin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 01:14 PM   #11
walterwhite
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Yahoo to walterwhite
During my long time of dealing with the OCD customers of the Apple Retail stores... I had to just turn off the switch that says, "Please dont let these people get to you"... Apple wants to make you happy and will just replace it... they want to make all customers into "promoters" because when you tell your friends about the awesome way they treated you... at least one of your friends will want to switch to a mac or buy a replacement for their old one. From a service stand point they are going to great extents to surprise and delight customers by even fixing (first time only) machines that may have had an accident. It's why they are doing so well. Promoters sell more computers than any advertising campaign.
I had to turn off the switch simply because... seeing something so small and expecting perfection?? I have much bigger things to worry about... why would I run all the way to the Apple store and move all my data, et etc ... its time I dont have. It's not like the bezel fell off or a key isnt working right out of the box. The distances and specs of the body are less than a mm so when you look at such clean lines and edges... 1mm stands out, especially once you see it. But I definitely try to see and understand how THEY are seeing their beautiful new apple computer.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 01:18 PM   #12
TheRealDamager
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psilocybin View Post
To some it's like buying a car, would you like something to be a bit off or crooked on a brand new car?
No, I don't check the seams on every weld on a new car. Honestly, people are complaining about marks on the aluminum body that require a 10x scope to notice, let alone the fact that it doesn't affect the operation of the unit in the slightest. I used to be OCD like this about this kind of stuff, and once you are able to just let it go and relax, you are in a much better place.

I'm done for now - I understand that different people see this differently - no issue.
TheRealDamager is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air