Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mabittin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
I am completely new to jailbreaking, so if this isn't the place for these newbie questions, I appologize (and please suggest a good forum)......I would love to get XBMC on the ATV2 (loved it on my old xbox) but I'm pretty intimidated by the whole process....

1) if things go wrong or say I just want to revert to the original firmware, how would I do it? I'm guessing in iTunes, but would I need to make sure that I make a special restore file before attempting the jailbreak?

2) I know XBMC is constantly evolving....how would updating the XBMC package be done on the jailbroken ATV?

3) the need for a tethered jailbreak is a little intimidating.....is a non-tethered solution on the horizon in the near future?

4) is there a good site/tutorial for "dummies" that someone could point me to to help get up to speed?

Thanks in advance
-m

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
1) There is no special restore file. You just do a normal restore.

2) I haven't used XBMC in a long time, but I think there is a live updater in the app. (Of course I could be confusing that with Plex.

3) Unknown. I think the dev team is working on it though. The simple trick is just don't turn it completely off. It's not like an iDevice that uses battery. It is constantly plugged in. Energy use is minimal.

4) Just google AppleTV 2 jailbreak and you should find plenty to help you.

The main thing is if you are interested, theres not much reason not to try it. Since it is firmware fixing it or reverting to a non-jailbroken state is as simple as a normal restore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.