Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snowbrdr1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
New York State
I've tried hundreds of times to kick my Ipod touch into DFU mode. I'm using a 32 GB 3rd generation device with ios 4.1. I've followed all the steps exactly yet DFU mode won't enter. My device just starts up as normal. I've tried using pwnage tool to jailbreak it but i can't get into DFU mode so therefore i can't. I've also tried using greenpois0n on my friends old pc but no luck getting into DFU mode while on his itunes. I've tried doing it hooked up to itunes while turned on, and turned off. I've also tried doing it not connected in every possible way but still no luck. Is there any program that i can use to force the device to boot into DFU? or am i forced to wait until comex releases Jailbreakme 3.0.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
There is not going to be a jailbreak me 3. They are very rare and will probably never happen again. Your iPod can go into DFU Mode, you just aren't doing it correctly. Keep trying and remember, timing is key.

snowbrdr1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
New York State
There is not going to be a jailbreak me 3. They are very rare and will probably never happen again. Your iPod can go into DFU Mode, you just aren't doing it correctly. Keep trying and remember, timing is key.

Comex has confirmed various times via his twitter that he has in fact made a jailbreakme 3.0 he is waiting until apple releases 4.3

Eric Buist

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2011
I have the exact same problem. I tried hundreds and hundreds of times to go into DFU mode with absolutely no luck. According to GreenPois0n's instructions, I should press the Power button while the device is in standby. I even saw a YouTube video starting from standby to DFU.
According to Redsn0w, I should poweroff the device completely, then press power, then Home, and release power while holding home. I tried under Windows 7 Ultimate x64 edition, with and without iTunes open.

It really seems that my iPod Touch 3G has a flaw preventing it from entering into DFU. I am worried it would work with an older iPod Touch or a newer one, but NOT this particular 32Gb variant of the 3G. Or it may work better under Windows XP, or with another computer? I have a dual-boot system with Windows 7 and Linux, not Windows XP and absolutely not Mac OS X.

I am very disappointed with this iPod Touch: file transer is hard, if not almost impossible, with a Linux PC, it forced me to convert a large bunch of Ogg Vorbis-encoded audio files to MP3 (with loss of quality of course), the device itself is unresponsive (it often requires two or three taps to activate a command), and the battery lasts THREE HOURS, not less, unless I keep it in standby mode and only listen to music with it! No apps, no wi-fi, otherwise battery is totally drained. I did not pay for AppleCare, so I am stuck with that. Moreover, most applications are NOT free. Free ones are limited or simply do nothing (E.g., Mirror, Flashlight). If at least this device could show itself as USB Mass Storage, it could at least serve as a big USB key. No go either!

I was hoping that I could install more useful apps on it after Jailbreak and iDroid could eventually be mature enough to replace iOS. As I ready, Jailbreak is the first step toward the iDroid way.
But I read and heard that iDroid is for iPhone only, so it costs 70$ per month to get it although it should be free and open source in principle.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
If the iPod Touch won't go into DFU mode, then the only thing with a flaw is the user. An iDevice will ALWAYS go into DFU mode. Unless it has a hardware problem. Why complain about Ogg Vorbis. Are there even any PMP's that support that format? Three hours of battery life? If your getting that your iPod has a bad battery. Why don't you take it to Apple and get it replaced for free? iDroid is only fr the iPhone 2G, iPod Touch 1G, and the iPhone 3G. It is currently being potted to other iDevices. It's also free, not $70. You'll also still need iOS if you put iDroid on it. iDroid is very limited in it's useable space. It live in three images on the iDevice's Media partition and can't access more then 512mb of space.

Mr Incredible

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2011
I came across this thread whilst searching for "iPod Touch 3G won't DFU".

I've DFU'd many times before as I have uploaded cracked programs directly through SSH, and successfully JB with Blackra1n.

However, since an upgrade to 4.2.1 GM (from which I was going to use Pwnage to re-spring), the iPod touch 3G will not enter DFU. This is driving me nuts. I find it hard to believe its a "user flaw" because this problem is reported by many, and by many who have successfully DFU'd in the past.

We need a solution ASAP! My Touch is uselss now as I cannot access my cracked BT layer for external BT GPS and using TomTom.

Same as shown here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7XOUft25nU

MTCca

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
It is not a user Flaw...

I have tried several PC cords etc and have watched the sequence is different now... Apple has changed the timing... I have followed GreenPoison timing to a T and it is different than what it is expecting...:confused:

e4m2a0n

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2011
FIX DFU mode problem i did i will tell you how

I've tried hundreds of times to kick my Ipod touch into DFU mode. I'm using a 32 GB 3rd generation device with ios 4.1. I've followed all the steps exactly yet DFU mode won't enter. My device just starts up as normal. I've tried using pwnage tool to jailbreak it but i can't get into DFU mode so therefore i can't. I've also tried using greenpois0n on my friends old pc but no luck getting into DFU mode while on his itunes. I've tried doing it hooked up to itunes while turned on, and turned off. I've also tried doing it not connected in every possible way but still no luck. Is there any program that i can use to force the device to boot into DFU? or am i forced to wait until comex releases Jailbreakme 3.0.

Ok dude so i was pulling my hair out same proble i have an ipod touch 3g 32 gb i would do the process as ive done hundred of times but the apple logo would pop up instead of a blank screen or the stupid restore crap so how to fix this take your ipod get a hammer and smash it tadah no more problems No but ok seriously thats what you feel like i cant promise this will work i had the same problem as all of you and i want to help you guys cuz i know it sucks so i dont know what fixed it but ill tell u wat i did different

FIRST i used a different computer

SECOND make sure you have REDSNOW 0.9.8.b7

THIRD leave your ipod off for a day or 12 hours let it rest make sure if you dont care bout your apps you reboot it to latest update with itunes 4.3.5 than use 4.3.4 to load as the current firmware with redsnow

FOURTH do the process exactly the same way power button 2 sec. home and power together 10 sec. DONT PRESS THE **** OUTTA POWER BUTTON IT MIGHT JAM WHICH WILL MESS UP THE PROCESS last hold home button until god willing see the redsnow DFU instruction screen disappear before the time runs out than you did it man i hope this helped you guys its not much but i want to help cuz mine works now and i dont know what did it .

OH YEA if cydia is white or wont start just use the redsnow again and this time just check boot and tethered DFU process than youll see a pineapple on your ipod wait 20 to 30 SECS. than its fixed if it takes longer it froze try a different firmware but it should be fine good luck guys

das3801

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2012
Keep Trying

:apple:So if I keep trying to enter DFU enventually, it will work?:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.