Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Hi All,

I'm in the market for a new desk, and I've done some searching. I stumbled across the OneLessDesk, and I think i'm in love. Awesome. However, I currently have my MBP on the mStand with a 24" monitor. My 27" monitor will be arriving tomorrow, though. I usually run a dual monitor display. I suppose now that I'll be going with a 27" monitor, i could get away with just a single display, but I still don't see an elegant way to have it all set up with the OneLess Desk. If anyone out there has a pic of how this might work, let me know!

THANKS!

DCHeckler

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2011
Tempe, Arizona
OneLessDesk

Hi All,
If anyone out there has a pic of how this might work, let me know!

Spaceball. I'm happy to provide you with renders of OneLessDesk with whatever equipment on it. What was the specific setup you'd like to see?

Might I recommend the MacBook on the lower deck (use it's keyboard and display as the lower display in a dual-display setup). With one large display on the upper deck. You can fit two displays, but there is some overhang of the screen edges.
Again, I'm happy to work through the visualization process with you. Email me.
Thanks for your interest in OneLessDesk.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Spaceball. I'm happy to provide you with renders of OneLessDesk with whatever equipment on it. What was the specific setup you'd like to see?
When I first read this post, I was like, "wow this guy seems exceptionally nice. he must have a lot of free time on his hands!" Then I saw your name :p. I'm putting up a pic of the setup I currently have, which I don't think can be had w/ the current model of OneLessDesk.

Might I recommend the MacBook on the lower deck (use it's keyboard and display as the lower display in a dual-display setup).
Well, As you'll see in the pic below, I'm pretty used to using my wireless keyboard and mouse. Once someone is set in their ways, there is no going back haha. However, I don't use my second display that often, which brings me to the next poster's link. With a 27" display soon to be replacing my 24", I'll probably need to use the MBP display even less.

If you go with the one display, here's an alternative stand for the MBP.
http://www.balmuda.com/en/products/c/floater/
Thanks for that link! That's a really nice looking stand. If I get the desk, I'll probably have to pick up that stand with it. I imagine everything will look pretty nice if I use that stand.

Thanks very much to both of you!

Attachments

• desk.jpg
    desk.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 539

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
If I get the desk, I'll probably end up getting the BookArc or the Laptuk. Only issue with the laptuk is that i saw on a youtube review that the color of the aluminum doesn't quite match the macbook, which means it won't quite match the desk also.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
I just ordered it!

Well, I actually ordered the entire shebang, the OneLessOffice. I can't wait!!!!

My only concern is the placing of the actual macbook itself. I really wish there were a clamp that would fasten the MacBook to one of the edges of the desk. I think that could be a really cool product, Mr. Heckler...

I'm a bit turned off by the Balmuda Design floater. It's quite a nice looking product, but $300 is steep for a stand. Additionally, I upgrade my laptop fairly often, and I don't want to buy a new $300 stand each time.

Well, I have a week or so to figure out a good solution for mounting my macbook on my new desk!

speciesguy

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2010
Sorry to post here, new g-5 help with power point please

I have a g-5 with microsoft word 2004 on my computer. I have a power
point presentation in front of a lot of kids soon. I get this specific error
message.

An unexpected error occurred while trying to load the Microsoft Framework library.

I have 10.5.8 op sys.

I think I'm going to have to talk with the P.C. people to fix this one. Can ya lend a hand please.

Doc750

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
I love this desk. But the price tag is a bit too steep. I could almost pick up another MBP for a little bit more.

Blaine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2007
Abilene TX
Yeah it's very expensive, but the quality looks to be amazing. I just wished the pad that goes over the desk came in white. Anyone else have one of these? Would be nice to get some more pictures of people's setups. :D

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Hi guys,

I've had the OneLessDesk for some time now, and I thought I'd post some more feedback.

1) I love it. I absolutely love it. I don't love the surface for mousing - i find it to be too rough for the mighty mouse. And if you have a tall mouse, it won't fit when you slide the lower part of the desk underneath. However, if you have a magic trackpad + bluetooth keyboard, it fits great!

2) I wouldn't recommend the laptuk to put the monitor on top of, unless you get a new monitor stand for the cinema display. It elevates the display slightly too much.

3) I still struggle with where the right place to put my MBP is. Right now I have it sitting right next to the onelessdesk on top of an ikea set of drawers, but I really wish there were a place to fit it into the desk and make it hidden. The Onelessdesk has that great cable hider build into it, but I don't have that many peripherals plugged into the desk... so it would be great if a future build of the onelessdesk could somehow put a laptop space in there.

All in all, it's a fantastic desk. If you look at most desks on the market these days, they are a table style, where the laptop sits on a table. That's fine, but i enjoy having my keyboard on a lower level. My arms get less fatigued. The height of the actual desk put the monitor at a perfect height. You get so much space back when you move to this desk, and it looks great. Hopefully that helps with any buying decisions.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
Hi guys,

I've had the OneLessDesk for some time now, and I thought I'd post some more feedback.

2) I wouldn't recommend the laptuk to put the monitor on top of, unless you get a new monitor stand for the cinema display. It elevates the display slightly too much.

3) I still struggle with where the right place to put my MBP is. Right now I have it sitting right next to the onelessdesk on top of an ikea set of drawers, but I really wish there were a place to fit it into the desk and make it hidden. The Onelessdesk has that great cable hider build into it, but I don't have that many peripherals plugged into the desk... so it would be great if a future build of the onelessdesk could somehow put a laptop space in there.

All in all, it's a fantastic desk. If you look at most desks on the market these days, they are a table style, where the laptop sits on a table. That's fine, but i enjoy having my keyboard on a lower level. My arms get less fatigued. The height of the actual desk put the monitor at a perfect height. You get so much space back when you move to this desk, and it looks great. Hopefully that helps with any buying decisions.

if you enjoy having the keyboard lower then the screen why not just get a desk like this
gaming_station_computer_desk.jpg

which laptuk did you stand did you use and how high was too high?

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
I know this is a super old thread, but I thought it was worth mentioning that I also have a OneLessDesk with a 27" Apple Thunderbolt Display on a Laptuk stand. I'm buying another OneLessDesk for a new employee, so I was looking into alternative setup options and just stumbled upon the Just Mobile AluRack this morning. I ordered one from Amazon to try out. Just thought I'd mention it as a possible option if you're still looking for an alternative place to put your laptop, or for anyone else who stumbles on this thread like I did :)

http://www.just-mobile.com/mac/alurack-1.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.