Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keaide

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2010
I was importing some pictures into iphoto last night when iphoto stopped to respond and just showed a "finishing import" or something similar message. The colorful wheel was spinning around for an hour, but nothing changed. Activity Monitor showed a "not responding", so finally I did a "Force Quit". Now, do I need to worry about the library? iphoto did start normally again, and the number of pictures (about 40k) and events it showed is within the expected range. But still... I feel a bit worried.

Is there a way to do a kind of consistency check to make sure that everything's fine... or am I overly worried?

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
Run disk utility and verify the hard drive you have your iPhoto library on.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Quit iPhoto, hold down Command and Option, and launch iPhoto again (still holding those buttons). You'll get a window that looks like this:

Screen%20shot%202011-01-26%20at%205.09.27%20PM.PNG

Check all the boxes and hit ok, then wait until it finishes. With 40k photos, it'll take a while, but it'll make sure everything checks out. If it doesn't give you any errors and it appears that all of your photos are still there, then you should be in good shape (which is likely).

Oh, and definitely make sure you're backed up.

jW

keaide

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2010
Thanks, Mal. That's a good idea. I'll try that.

And regarding the backup: I'm just in the process of setting up my first iMac and transferring all my files. The iphoto freeze actually happened at the very end of a series of sessions of my photos from an external hard drive. So I still have all the data there, but I would like to avoid going through another 5 to 6 hours long importing procedure.

Once it's set up, I want to (1) use the external hard drive to do a time machine backup (what's the best file system for that?) and (2) use another one (which currently also holds a backup of all my data) to do an incremental backup in humanly readable form (still looking for some software for that).

keaide

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2010
It worked. It turned out that the 22 pictures (and the corresponding event) I was importing when iphoto crashed were missing in the library after the check. Everything else is still there... and somehow iphoto seems to run a bit faster after rebuilding the library...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.