Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jan 26, 2011, 07:55 AM   #1
potejam
macrumors newbie

restore iPhone backup WITHOUT iTunes

Hi, I recently restored the software on my 3GS and had iTunes fail to prompt me to restore a backup, instead forcing me to set up as a new phone. This has resulted in the loss of every single piece of data I ever collected on my phone, from contacts to app data. I've now restored several other times and yet I cannot get the option to restore a backup, even though I am absolutely positive I have several backups on this computer.

Scouring Apple's help hasn't given me any indication they've created an alternative to preserving vital data other than relying on iTunes to prompt for a restore.

Anyone have any idea how to manually restore a backup, or at least key parts of it without going through iTunes?
potejam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 07:56 AM   #2
miles01110
macrumors 604

Not possible. No iTunes, No way.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 04:01 AM   #3
eastercat
macrumors 68040

Does iTunes show that you have backups? Or do you know where these backups are located?

Hit option+restore to open up the dialog box. There you can choose which ipsw you want to use.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 09:30 AM   #4
potejam
macrumors newbie

So Apple's faulty software cost me my entire backup. All my data gone because Apple thinks their system can never fail.

I'm restoring to the exact same firmware, and I've tries the Shift-Restore option as well.

I'm not sure how to view my backups but I know for a fact that I have backed up at least 5 times before restoring.
potejam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2011, 09:46 AM   #5
JamesMB
macrumors 65816

You can also view backups in prefs, under the devices tab, but unless you manually saved a backup or two, you will likely only see one backup, since iTunes overwrites the old backup, instead of creating a new one. If your contacts are still on your computer, you can get those back. You can also re-download your apps.
Ive also read on here about software that you can install on your computer, that will enable you to "open" an iTunes backup and extract certain data, but I am not familiar with nor have I used it.
I realize that it's a little late for this advice, but before I do a restore of any kind, I always backup first and then browse to the folder that iTunes uses to store backups, and drag a copy of that backup to the desktop. That way, no matter what I or iTunes does, I have a "safe" copy of the most recent backup.

Last edited by JamesMB; Jan 27, 2011 at 09:55 AM.
JamesMB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:41 AM   #6
jbloggs
macrumors newbie

Download trial version of iBackupBot and it will show you what you have in the backup taken by iTunes.
jbloggs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:02 PM   #7
chargit
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMB View Post
You can also view backups in prefs, under the devices tab, but unless you manually saved a backup or two, you will likely only see one backup, since iTunes overwrites the old backup, instead of creating a new one. If your contacts are still on your computer, you can get those back. You can also re-download your apps.
Ive also read on here about software that you can install on your computer, that will enable you to "open" an iTunes backup and extract certain data, but I am not familiar with nor have I used it.
I realize that it's a little late for this advice, but before I do a restore of any kind, I always backup first and then browse to the folder that iTunes uses to store backups, and drag a copy of that backup to the desktop. That way, no matter what I or iTunes does, I have a "safe" copy of the most recent backup.
good idea but I have several copies of my backups in iTunes. it just saves them by the date and time I did them. it doesnt write over them.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:12 PM   #8
JamesMB
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargit View Post
good idea but I have several copies of my backups in iTunes. it just saves them by the date and time I did them. it doesnt write over them.
Are you sure that you aren't looking at the backup files (because they will have different dates) and not the backup itself? Starting with iTunes 8 or 9 (i believe), iTunes doesn't keep multiple backups, it either overwrites or appends. Look at itunes prefs, devices, and see how many backups you have.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:28 PM   #9
chargit
macrumors 6502a

ya I have three in there right now with different dates all in December. I havent backed it up since Dec 30th. you can see them in the device section in preferences and also by right clicking on the device and hit restore from backup. then it will let me chose which backup I want.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 08:29 PM   #10
scb222
macrumors newbie

restore first

ok guys, im following you and i have indeed one backup under preferences and devices. now how can i restore after recovery mode when phone is not allowing the software to be installed? first i need to restore then i can access my backup. itunes just keeps saying error 1611.
scb222 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2011, 09:06 PM   #11
JamesMB
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargit View Post
ya I have three in there right now with different dates all in December. I havent backed it up since Dec 30th. you can see them in the device section in preferences and also by right clicking on the device and hit restore from backup. then it will let me chose which backup I want.
First of all, as I said in the previous post, depending on what you have done and the date on that backup, it might be a backup of an empty phone. just in case it is good, drag a copy of that backup to your desktop.
The second question I have is how did you get from "restoring several times" as you indicated in your first post, and now being in recovery mode, and getting a 1611?

EDIT:
I just did a search on error 1611, you might have a look here.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=826074

Last edited by JamesMB; Jan 28, 2011 at 09:24 PM.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting