Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old May 12, 2015, 08:18 PM   #1
puma1552
macrumors 68040

DEAR GOD - I don't want home phone and incompetency FFS!

So I close on my house this Friday. This past Sunday I figure I should do the nasty deed of figuring out who provides TV/Internet service to my address and just go ahead and schedule an installation so it's out of the way.

Go online, find a company (they all suck), pick an internet and TV package for a less than great price but it's really about the cheapest option around from the second rate carriers that service my address, which wasn't that cheap at $96 before god knows what fees and taxes for 60 mb internet and the second crappiest TV package. Mind you that's only for twelve months, then it goes up $20.

So I pick the package, get to the installation appointment scheduling screen, realize it only goes out about two weeks, when what I really wanted was a mid-June install since my lease isn't up until the end of June so we have about six weeks of overlap, in which we are going to be in and out of the house remodeling.

So I just figure well whatever, I'll just set it up this Saturday anyway so it's out of the way as soon as I move in. So I pick that date, then somehow find myself on the online support chat.

Turns out the current homeowner has an active account, and they can't schedule my installation until they have a disconnect set up with the current owner, but the chat guy says they can just call him while I wait and see if he wants to do that, so I say ok.

Big surprise, apparently they can't seem to contact their own customer (WTF?) and cite that his contact info is out of date. So the only option at this time is to cancel my installation, which I was actually fine with since I didn't really want to do an installation til mid-June anyway. So we canceled it.

In the last 48 hours I've received numerous random number calls that don't leave messages. The times I have answered it, it was this internet company, and I have now "cancelled" my account three times, having to explain this garbage each time.

I cancelled it for the third time at about 5:30 tonight. Half hour ago I get yet another call, and this time it's someone looking to ask why I cancelled. Explain this crap again, and then they get extremely pushy, telling me they can set me up with a mid-June install, and if I do it RIGHT NOW they can save me a whopping $10 a month on my bill and waive the installation. I repeatedly say no I'm fine for now and I'll call you at a later date when I'm ready, I don't know how many times I said no.

And she just would not take NO for an answer, and then she starts pitching a goddamn home phone to a millennial. WHY do telecoms push the hell out of this home phone garbage? The only people I know who use a home phone are over 60 years old, and the only people that call a home phone is telemarketers. Why on earth would someone want a home phone and an ugly phone jack in the wall in this day and age? I explain to her that I'm a millennial and have no interest in putting a telemarketer's portal on my wall when I have a perfectly good cell phone, then I get some spiel about cell phones being unreliable.

I finally got to the point where I got angry and started losing my patience before she finally got the point. I realize it's her job, but holy Christ, when a customer says no they mean no. And NO, I do not want a home phone FFS!

So now I've already seen that this company is both really pushy, and rather incompetent, and now I'm actually shopping for a better option.

There's gotta be something better out there? Hulu is fine but I want live CNN and Twins games. But even if I can ditch TV, I can't ditch these crap providers for internet. Oh Apple please hurry up and wreck this industry.

/rant

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion