Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Feb 21, 2015, 12:23 PM   #1
bingefeller
macrumors 6502

Look for a laptop for Linux (based in UK)

Hi guys

I've decided that I'm going to buy a small laptop for Linux. Ideally I'd like it to be under 200 and to have an 11" - 13" screen.

Any suggestions as to something which I can easily install a Linux distro on? I would be experimenting with different distros most likely before settling on something.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 09:38 PM   #2
aaronvan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingefeller View Post
Hi guys

I've decided that I'm going to buy a small laptop for Linux. Ideally I'd like it to be under 200 and to have an 11" - 13" screen.

Any suggestions as to something which I can easily install a Linux distro on? I would be experimenting with different distros most likely before settling on something.
Any inexpensive PC laptop will work just fine. I'm currently running FreeBSD on a 2006 HP Pavilion with 1GB RAM. I've had at least seven different GNU/Linux distros on it in the past and all ran fine. I'd pick-up something used if you're just using it to experiment and learn.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:54 PM   #3
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

I think one of the nice things about using Linux is that you can install it on just about anything. If your goal is to find something inexpensive that will run Linux, you shouldn't have any trouble with just about any old laptop.
Old Today, 12:22 PM   #4
AX338
macrumors regular

Location: London (where the dirt says hot but the label says not)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingefeller View Post
Hi guys

I tend to buy laptop from Ebay that are ex company Thinkpads that have been refurbed.

They are very well made...here is ONE for less than 180.
AX338 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion