Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:09 PM   #51
Huntn
Thread Starter
macrumors 604
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
Comment regarding Walking Dead:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscriv View Post
Seconded. And don't forget Dexter starts this weekend.
The hotel I was in on Sunday did not carry AMC- bastardos! Fortunately I tape both Walking Dead and Dexter. Watched WD tonight, it's still excellent!

And Dexter has bounced back. If this is truly Dexter's last season, they could start killing off characters, and how will Dexter end up, continuing the vigilantly action, caught, or dead?? Hmm...
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:58 PM   #52
mscriv
macrumors 68040
 
mscriv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dallas, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
The hotel I was in on Sunday did not carry AMC- bastardos! Fortunately I tape both Walking Dead and Dexter. Watched WD tonight, it's still excellent!

And Dexter has bounced back. If this is truly Dexter's last season, they could start killing off characters, and how will Dexter end up, continuing the vigilantly action, caught, or dead?? Hmm...
Got to watch Walking Dead off the DVR today. It looks like it will be another fantastic season.

Dexter is looking good as well. I've not heard any rumors that this is the last season though?
__________________
I'm a professional therapist. If I deem our forum interaction to be professional in nature then I will bill you. Prompt payment is expected.
mscriv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 02:00 PM   #53
r1ch4rd
macrumors 6502a
 
r1ch4rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Manchester UK
I just watched This is England 1986 on Blu-ray. Absolutely brilliant. It has some incredibly funny moments and incredibly gritty and dark moment. It really made me uncomfortable watching some of the scenes (I won't ruin what happens). A must see, especially if you liked the film.
r1ch4rd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 06:40 PM   #54
Huntn
Thread Starter
macrumors 604
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1ch4rd View Post
I just watched This is England 1986 on Blu-ray. Absolutely brilliant. It has some incredibly funny moments and incredibly gritty and dark moment. It really made me uncomfortable watching some of the scenes (I won't ruin what happens). A must see, especially if you liked the film.
So what kind of movie is it?

I've recorded Terra Nova (Fox), the pilot was weak, the follow-on story about a mad flock of little pterosaurs was totally un-engaging. I practically fell asleep during the "climatic action" woke myself up by rooting for the little guys to wipe out the colony. Series recording canceled...
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.
Huntn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 01:25 PM   #55
r1ch4rd
macrumors 6502a
 
r1ch4rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Manchester UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
So what kind of movie is it?
From Wikipedia --- This Is England is a 2006 British drama film written and directed by Shane Meadows. The story centres on young skinheads in England in 1983. The film illustrates how their subculture, which has its roots in 1960s black culture, especially ska, soul and reggae music, became adopted by white nationalists, which led to divisions within the skinhead scene.

This is England 1986 is a sequel to the film, but is a TV series. It's a lot more focussed on the smaller characters from the film and focusses on a wider range of issues.
r1ch4rd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2011, 01:47 PM   #56
Huntn
Thread Starter
macrumors 604
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1ch4rd View Post
From Wikipedia --- This Is England is a 2006 British drama film written and directed by Shane Meadows. The story centres on young skinheads in England in 1983. The film illustrates how their subculture, which has its roots in 1960s black culture, especially ska, soul and reggae music, became adopted by white nationalists, which led to divisions within the skinhead scene.

This is England 1986 is a sequel to the film, but is a TV series. It's a lot more focussed on the smaller characters from the film and focusses on a wider range of issues.
Oh, skinheads, not a favorite subject to subject myself to.

American Horror Story (FX)- Watched two episodes. Enough is a enough. Way to dark for me to endure on a weekly basis.
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 07:18 AM   #57
Huntn
Thread Starter
macrumors 604
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
We caught Hell on Wheels (AMC) last night- revenge in the American West (filmed in Canada) iron horse era. For myself the jury is still out. The show looks like it has potential.
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.

Last edited by Huntn; Nov 14, 2011 at 07:28 AM.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:04 PM   #58
willyfromphilly
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
30 Rock and The Food Channel
willyfromphilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:20 AM   #59
mscriv
macrumors 68040
 
mscriv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dallas, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
We caught Hell on Wheels (AMC) last night- revenge in the American West (filmed in Canada) iron horse era. For myself the jury is still out. The show looks like it has potential.
My wife and I have watched the first two episodes and it seems like another winner for AMC.
__________________
I'm a professional therapist. If I deem our forum interaction to be professional in nature then I will bill you. Prompt payment is expected.
mscriv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:33 AM   #60
Moyank24
macrumors 68040
 
Moyank24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: in a New York State of mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
We caught Hell on Wheels (AMC) last night- revenge in the American West (filmed in Canada) iron horse era. For myself the jury is still out. The show looks like it has potential.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscriv View Post
My wife and I have watched the first two episodes and it seems like another winner for AMC.
Agreed...I'm a huge fan of period dramas, so I watched the first 2 episodes after work on Sunday night, and so far, so good. I've got the DVR set....hopefully it will continue to impress.
Moyank24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:08 AM   #61
Huntn
Thread Starter
macrumors 604
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
As I anxiously await the return of Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead, I'll ask, any Vampire Diaries fans? We started watching Season 1. It's nothing great but good enough to keep us watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyank24 View Post
Agreed...I'm a huge fan of period dramas, so I watched the first 2 episodes after work on Sunday night, and so far, so good. I've got the DVR set....hopefully it will continue to impress.
Then you'd better be watching Downton Abbey Season 2. It has not disappointed!


THIS is looking very interesting on ABC (Feb7 debut).
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.

Last edited by Huntn; Feb 3, 2012 at 10:16 AM.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:37 AM   #62
Happybunny
macrumors 68000
 
Happybunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 's-Hertogenbosch Netherlands
With the great freeze over mainland Europe.

I plan to stay in and watch.

Walking dead season one Blue Ray, plus I've just got Firefly boxed set
__________________
'You cannot undo history, but you can learn from it'
Happybunny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:41 AM   #63
yg17
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: St. Louis, MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happybunny View Post
With the great freeze over mainland Europe.

I plan to stay in and watch.

Walking dead season one Blue Ray, plus I've just got Firefly boxed set
Thanks for taking that cold off our hands. We set 2 record highs this past week. It's been beautiful outside

I was thrilled to find out that the Puppy Bowl is returning to Animal Planet on Sunday. It will give me something not related to football to watch while waiting for Top Gear to download.
__________________
Barack Obama is not a foreign born, brown skinned, anti-war socialist who gives away healthcare. You're thinking of Jesus.
yg17 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:54 AM   #64
Moyank24
macrumors 68040
 
Moyank24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: in a New York State of mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
As I anxiously await the return of Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead, I'll ask, any Vampire Diaries fans? We started watching Season 1. It's nothing great but good enough to keep us watching.



Then you'd better be watching Downton Abbey Season 2. It has not disappointed!


THIS is looking very interesting on ABC (Feb7 debut).
Downtown Abbey is on my watch list...my friends have been trying to get me to watch it. I'm going to try and catch up in the next few weeks.

I, too, am anxiously awaiting Season 2 of Game of Thrones.
Moyank24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 11:04 AM   #65
Huntn
Thread Starter
macrumors 604
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happybunny View Post
With the great freeze over mainland Europe.

I plan to stay in and watch.

Walking dead season one Blue Ray, plus I've just got Firefly boxed set
Season 1 is too short and highly focused, great entertainment. Season 2 so far has been less focused, all most in a holding pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyank24 View Post
Downtown Abbey is on my watch list...my friends have been trying to get me to watch it. I'm going to try and catch up in the next few weeks.

I, too, am anxiously awaiting Season 2 of Game of Thrones.
I broke down and started reading the Second Book, Clash of Kings. It's still going strong.
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 07:17 PM   #66
Scepticalscribe
Contributor
 
Scepticalscribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kite flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
As I anxiously await the return of Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead, I'll ask, any Vampire Diaries fans? We started watching Season 1. It's nothing great but good enough to keep us watching.



Then you'd better be watching Downton Abbey Season 2. It has not disappointed!


THIS is looking very interesting on ABC (Feb7 debut).
Downton Abbey is wonderful - I hope the US networks also broadcast the extra episode which aired on Christmas Day - it is not simply a "Christmas stocking filler' but a real coda to Series Two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyank24 View Post
Downtown Abbey is on my watch list...my friends have been trying to get me to watch it. I'm going to try and catch up in the next few weeks.

I, too, am anxiously awaiting Season 2 of Game of Thrones.
You'll enjoy Downton Abbey; I've spent a good part of January reading the series, and now must re-visit them. This side of the Atlantic pond, we have not yet had the benefit of the TV series which I understand to have been a very good adaptation. Must say I have thoroughly enjoyed the books so far, and thanks to all who recommended them to me.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:34 AM   #67
Huntn
Thread Starter
macrumors 604
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
ALERT: Walking Dead on tomorrow night!

Just finished the first two seasons of Vampire Diaries. I can recommend it if you are into pop vampire stories. I'm a little irritated they did not wrap up the Claus story. I understand that Season 3 is just about finished airing. I need to see if I can find it on-demand from my cable provider. I prefer not watching it on my computer if it can be helped or just wait until they start reairing Season3 in prep for Season4... Does CW (network) do that?


Teaser Image, LOL
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.

Last edited by Huntn; Feb 11, 2012 at 10:39 AM.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:42 AM   #68
SuperCachetes
macrumors 6502a
 
SuperCachetes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Away from you
Another vote for Downton Abbey. I don't watch TV, at all, but for some reason that one drew me in when PBS aired Season 1... I haven't been able to keep up with all of Season 2 as it's been broadcast here, unfortunately.
SuperCachetes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2012, 07:44 PM   #69
Huntn
Thread Starter
macrumors 604
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
I was able to watch the first 45 min of the 2hr Feb7th premier of The River on ABC. Looks very promising as a horror/adventure/thriller. I'll report back after I've finished it (I dvr'd it), after Downton Abbey and Left 4 Dead.

Anyone catch it last Tuesday?
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:17 AM   #70
Huntn
Thread Starter
macrumors 604
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
Downton Abbey- wow, 2 hr show last night. Continued greatness!
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 12:59 PM   #71
mscriv
macrumors 68040
 
mscriv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dallas, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
I was able to watch the first 45 min of the 2hr Feb7th premier of The River on ABC. Looks very promising as a horror/adventure/thriller. I'll report back after I've finished it (I dvr'd it), after Downton Abbey and Left 4 Dead.

Anyone catch it last Tuesday?
My wife and I saw this and yes, it does look promising. We enjoyed the first two episodes. What I like is that it's a short series, like 6 or 8 episodes. This gives me hope that they will focus on the storytelling as opposed to just keeping the status quo motive of getting as many episodes in a season as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
ALERT: Walking Dead on tomorrow night!
Image
Great episode! I really like this show a lot. The tension in the bar scene was awesome.

Anyone watching Archer on FX? Such a hysterically irreverent show. Quite the guilty pleasure.
__________________
I'm a professional therapist. If I deem our forum interaction to be professional in nature then I will bill you. Prompt payment is expected.
mscriv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:03 PM   #72
Huntn
Thread Starter
macrumors 604
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscriv View Post
My wife and I saw this and yes, it does look promising. We enjoyed the first two episodes. What I like is that it's a short series, like 6 or 8 episodes. This gives me hope that they will focus on the storytelling as opposed to just keeping the status quo motive of getting as many episodes in a season as possible.
Sadly after 3 hours I gave up on the River. It is edgy, I tolerated the format, thankfully it's not 100% documentary style, but with all the cameras they use, all most. I did not really bond with the characters, and it has a rather high level of constant tension so that (for myself) the tension became diminished. As a rule I don't like documentary because it really ties up the story telling and I really dislike the jerky camera effect although The River did not go too far in that direction.

Quote:
Great episode! I really like this show a lot. The tension in the bar scene was awesome.

Anyone watching Archer on FX? Such a hysterically irreverent show. Quite the guilty pleasure.
Regarding The Walking Dead, I sat there waiting for what I expected to happen, happen. Regardless, it was awesome. I imagine Hershel has a new appreciation for Rick.

I have not caught Archer. Maybe I should take a peak!
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:14 PM   #73
noodlemanc
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Australasia
Quote:
Originally Posted by iJohnHenry View Post
On the tube, nothing. Same as usual.

On the TV, a ceramic owl, the outside temperature monitor, and a BIG mouse doll, female, a gift from a realtor.

(Don't ask, but I like her, in her frock and Spring hat.)
is it just me, or is ur mouse speeding up?
noodlemanc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 02:33 PM   #74
iJohnHenry
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: On tenterhooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlemanc View Post
is it just me, or is ur mouse speeding up?
Perhaps your ISP just did an upgrade?
iJohnHenry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:18 PM   #75
FanOfMR
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
I have not watched TV in forever!
I am all about the interwebz.
FanOfMR is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Tags
television, television shows

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:36 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC