Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sherwinzadeh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
I backed the TikTok and LunaTik watch bands on Kickstarter and am in great anticipation of getting them any day now... I even bought the nano just to use as a multi-touch watch. I think the nano is cool on it's own but I didn't really need another MP3 player.

My only problem is that Apple really could make the nano a much better watch with just a software update. If you agree with me, I suggest we all join forces and petition Apple to improve the software. You can do that at:

http://apple.com/feedback/ipodnano.html

Here's my top suggestions:

1. Provide an option in setting that keeps the LCD on (without backlight). While it may drain battery more quickly, it is essential so you don't have to hit a button just to see the time. Alternatively, it could be accelerometer based: when you move the nano, the display (again with now backlight) turns on or remains on. It would only enter sleep if there is mo movement.
2. World time: this is a real obvious omission. Support multiple time zones.
3. More clock faces including a digital clock, moon phases.

And the ultimate one:
4. Open up for 3rd party apps

EDIT: These are only *software* updates... I'm sure Apple saw the reaction to the Kickstarter project and is working on new hardware but I want the software updates now... not in a year when the new hardware will come out.

Anyone in?

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Is it really that hard to push a button to see the time. And I wouldn't want it on all the time.... The battery life would go down so much, and rechargeable batteries only have so many charges, and to get a new battery in an ipod is a pain in the butt. But I do like the idea of different clock faces..... That would be great.

sherwinzadeh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Is it really that hard to push a button to see the time. And I wouldn't want it on all the time.... The battery life would go down so much, and rechargeable batteries only have so many charges, and to get a new battery in an ipod is a pain in the butt. But I do like the idea of different clock faces..... That would be great.

I think at least it should be an option. Old iPods had an option to leave the backlight on. I'm not saying that... I'm saying the backlight would go out but the screen would stay on longer. And it has an accelerometer so it know if it's moving on your arm or not and that could be used to turn the display off as well.

Just whatever you'd like them to add it be great to put on the feedback page.

http://apple.com/feedback/ipodnano.html

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
If you wanted it as a watch it would need bluetooth.... Having a wired headset to your wrist would be a pain in the arse.

Sean006

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2008
dont understand why apple has not created a headphone with the ipod built into it...

i mean come on is it that hard....shuffle parts are small enough design like the motorola bluetooth wireless headset..
final product....no cords and no bluetooth that cuts in and out :)

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
If I wanted a watch I wouldn't be looking in the electronics department.

If they need to do anything with the iPod Nano they need to go back to the drawing board because this one is fail. I can't even see a single feature that the 6th gen has over the last 3 generations of the nano.

I do not know why anyone would spend money on a nano as a watch, I mean really the clock is generic as hell and you can get a real watch that looks better and has more features.

Last edited:

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Even though the iPod nano as a watch appeals to a small crowd, I totally agree with you. I LOVEEEEE my iPod nano watch with the few exceptions that you mentioned. I think at the very least they should include 10 more faces and more options for keeping screen on, backlight off. My main complaint about having to press the sleep/wake button is how long it takes for the screen to pop on. If it was more instant I wouldn't mind it so much.

archre

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2010
I 2nd that.
I'd also like to have the option to build your own custom watch faces, as I'm not too happy with the ones provided by Apple (I'd like to have some cool futuristic digital ones... not watch faces that try to look like an old analog watch - which is kind of stupid if you'd ask me).

----------

And also please enable us to install Linux on the Nano again. I loved playing Doom on my 1st gen Nano ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNiWiw5aNA4

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.