Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erichkooi

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2009
Hi.
Mine iPhone 3Gs is in iOS 4.2.1 stock and I would like to jailbreak it.

I remember I saved my SHSH on Cydia when mine 3GS jailbreak during iOS 3.1.3.

I downloaded tinyumbrella but there is not checking button available. How do I able to check mine SHSH still with Cydia?

erichkooi

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2009
Hi Applejuiced,
Yes, I did that.

I can see mine iPhone 3Gs listed from iOS 3.1.3 to 4.2.1 in the TU.
After that I tested mine new iPhone 4 which never been jailbreak before, it also show iOS 4.0.1 and 4.2.1. Is TU connected to Cydia to retrieve these information or it just retrieve from the phone itself?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Hi Applejuiced,
Yes, I did that.

I can see mine iPhone 3Gs listed from iOS 3.1.3 to 4.2.1 in the TU.
After that I tested mine new iPhone 4 which never been jailbreak before, it also show iOS 4.0.1 and 4.2.1. Is TU connected to Cydia to retrieve these information or it just retrieve from the phone itself?

No theyre all pulled from Cydia and apples servers.
Shsh are not located on the phone.
Whatever is displayed on TU is all you have available to restore to.

erichkooi

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2009
I didn't backup SHSH on mine iPhone 4, it also able to pull it?

Base on what u said, that mean I able to restore previous version from TU?

BTW, thanks for replied promptly. :)

barneyevo

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2009
plug your phone into your computer and fire up tiny umbrella.
hit the "save SHSH" button and see what blobs it saves for you.
if all you see if 4.2.1, then you're stuck on that firmware.
if you see anything lower, then you are able to downgrade.
simple.

barneyevo

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2009
a much easier way is the following:

download TU
plug iPhone into your computer and fire up TU
once connected, click "Save SHSH" and TU will save ALL blobs cydia has saved in the past
click on "Enter Recovery"
click on "Start TSS Server"
load itunes
download previous firmware from http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/
shift + restore

you can only downgrade to a firmware listed in the "saved SHSH" section of tiny umbrella.

i've never bothered with bootroms as i'm from australia and we can buy factory unlocked phones.
read up on bootroms yourself and downgrade if applicable.

erichkooi

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2009
Hi barneyevo,
That mean i should download the firmware base on the SHSH listed?

If I able to make download to 4.1 and with new bootrom, can I restore back the stock firmware in future incase I change mind?

erichkooi

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2009
Thanks barneyevo.
Thanks Applejuiced.

For valuable information.

One more thing, this is safe process, if anything goes wrong, i always can restore via iTunes with stock firmware?

erichkooi

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2009
Hi,
I managed to download mine iPhone 3GS iOS4.2.1 to iOS 4.1 with your help.

On my main iPhone 4 which I TU and it found only:
iphone4 4.2.1 (8C148)
iPhone4 4.3b2 (8F5153d)

This mean I cannot downgrade to iOS4.1?

tammie614

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2010
Georgia - Atlanta
This forum is AWESOME!!!! AJ you saved my life.
i followed your advice and used my husbands computer at home since my primary computer is my laptop. fired up TU and whaddya know i have 4.1

i have the new itunes on my laptop and i'm on 4.2 but i'm on my husbands computer with TU and he is still on 4.1 is there any special steps to do for ME to downgrade since he's still jailbroken and on 4.1?

Thanks Guys... :)

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
This forum is AWESOME!!!! AJ you saved my life.
i followed your advice and used my husbands computer at home since my primary computer is my laptop. fired up TU and whaddya know i have 4.1

i have the new itunes on my laptop and i'm on 4.2 but i'm on my husbands computer with TU and he is still on 4.1 is there any special steps to do for ME to downgrade since he's still jailbroken and on 4.1?

Thanks Guys... :)

Good job tammie.
Glad it worked out.

drewfisk

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2011
Downgrade not working

I accidentally upgraded my iPhone 3GS to 4.2.1 without holding the option key and thus my baseband was upgraded to 05.15.04. I have SHSH 4.1 (8B117) according to Tiny Umbrella, but when I try to follow the aforementioned instructions nothing happens. iTunes displays the following error message "The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1015)" I click 'ok' and then 'Exit Recovery' on Tiny Umbrella, but to no avail. It's still locked and there is no jailbreak software (greenpois0n, redsn0w, limera1n) that will unlocked it. They all fail midway through.

Is there anything I can do?

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
You can't downgrade bb. Your only option is to use the iPad bb. Hope you don't need your GPS or need to take it into apple.
Ultrasnow is the only software that unlocks.

I accidentally upgraded my iPhone 3GS to 4.2.1 without holding the option key and thus my baseband was upgraded to 05.15.04. I have SHSH 4.1 (8B117) according to Tiny Umbrella, but when I try to follow the aforementioned instructions nothing happens. iTunes displays the following error message "The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1015)" I click 'ok' and then 'Exit Recovery' on Tiny Umbrella, but to no avail. It's still locked and there is no jailbreak software (greenpois0n, redsn0w, limera1n) that will unlocked it. They all fail midway through.

Is there anything I can do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.