Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aztiml

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2004
I took my 12" PB (1Ghz) to the genius bar because my ethernet and modem ports do not work. The guy said I prolly need a new logic board.

My question to any of you who have had to send your PBs in for new logic boards is what are my chances of my computer coming back with its original data (i backup, but i really don't want to have to restore), and will they replace the logic board with the same 1ghz board, or will they send me one of those neat new powerbooks?

Thanks!

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
A lot of times, when they replace the logic board, they replace the hd as well. Sometimes it just gets erased. Either way, keep a backup of it and be ready to restore when you get it back. Most likely, you will have to restore it, but you may be pleasantly surprised. It's best to be prepared for the worst.

Daniel

aztiml

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2004
Apple says I need new logic board

I took my 12" PB (1Ghz) to the genius bar because my ethernet and modem ports do not work. The guy said I prolly need a new logic board.

My question to any of you who have had to send your PBs in for new logic boards is what are my chances of my computer coming back with its original data (i backup, but i really don't want to have to restore), and will they replace the logic board with the same 1ghz board, or will they send me one of those neat new powerbooks?

Thanks!

[Note from the moderator: Your two threads have been merged.Do not post multiple threads on the same topic.]

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
The data on your computer will still be there because they're not taking out your hard drive. The odds of you getting a new machine are slim. Apple keeps a good supply of past parts.

meth31783

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2003
central connecticut
I had my ibook's logic board replaced in summer. They recommended that I backup all my files on the hard drive. They sent me a box, I sent it out and got the computer back really quick, i was quite impressed with the service. They even game me a faster combo drive and a free copy of panther installed. All my hard drive files were still there, but you should still back it up just in case. Also a word of warning, they did scratch my screen, about a one inch scratch on the bottome left hand side. I didn't complain because it's not that bad to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.