Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jan 27, 2011, 02:52 PM   #1
fire alarm
macrumors newbie

Exclamation Ibook G4 fan control.

Hi, i've got an 1.2ghz Ibook g4 running 10.5.8, and I am trying to find a application to control the fan. It only comes on when it's just about burning me, and hardly seems to do anything. I've tried all kinds of different applications but it says always says they are not supported..I use a cooling fan and a gel ice pack sometimes, but they are both a pain in the $#%. I recently replaced the HD (for the second time.) with one from a Ibook G4 I had purchased from MLTI Surplus ( Maine Learning Technology Initiative) when they upgraded to MacBooks. It was apparently sent back to Apple for refurbishing. But in 6 months, the logic board crapped the bed. This is my 2nd Ibook G4 since I had that one, and is the oldest of the other two. Any help would be VERY helpful!!!! Thanks!

Last edited by fire alarm; Jan 27, 2011 at 02:54 PM. Reason: left out something and repeated a word.
fire alarm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:34 PM   #2
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601

G4FanControl

Edit:
It's no longer free . Unless you can find the older version....

Last edited by OrangeSVTguy; Jan 27, 2011 at 10:37 PM. Reason: added info
OrangeSVTguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2011, 03:47 AM   #3
mabaker
macrumors 6502a

Red face

My iBook's fan kicks late in as well. I don't think there is any concern as long as it kicks in at all.

Besides the G4FanControl is a great app, too.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 08:01 AM   #4
fire alarm
macrumors newbie

I did find an older version of G4FanControl, and it works but, whenever I use it the whole "control panel" slides to the right and I can't adjust anything.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 08:05 AM   #5
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire alarm View Post
I did find an older version of G4FanControl, and it works but, whenever I use it the whole "control panel" slides to the right and I can't adjust anything.
I remember having the same problem. It was from a java or flash update that caused it to screw up like that.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 08:11 AM   #6
fire alarm
macrumors newbie

is there any way to fix it? I just updated last week because it hadn't been updated since May or June, when the computer died.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 03:35 PM   #7
brycemason
macrumors member

Reviving this thread because there's a free version of this program (v0.5) floating around that does an excellent job, but is command line only for Leopard. I just used it to increase the threshold at which my fans kick on on my PB 12 because I am using it as a music server and wanted to eliminate fan noise. Playing music in iTunes the heat stabilizes a couple degrees C higher than without the fans. No big deal and NO NOISE!
brycemason is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs