Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fire alarm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Hi, i've got an 1.2ghz Ibook g4 running 10.5.8, and I am trying to find a application to control the fan. It only comes on when it's just about burning me, and hardly seems to do anything. I've tried all kinds of different applications but it says always says they are not supported..I use a cooling fan and a gel ice pack sometimes, but they are both a pain in the $#%. I recently replaced the HD (for the second time.) with one from a Ibook G4 I had purchased from MLTI Surplus ( Maine Learning Technology Initiative) when they upgraded to MacBooks. It was apparently sent back to Apple for refurbishing. But in 6 months, the logic board crapped the bed. This is my 2nd Ibook G4 since I had that one, and is the oldest of the other two. Any help would be VERY helpful!!!! Thanks!

Last edited:

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
My iBook's fan kicks late in as well. I don't think there is any concern as long as it kicks in at all.

Besides the G4FanControl is a great app, too. :)

fire alarm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
I did find an older version of G4FanControl, and it works but, whenever I use it the whole "control panel" slides to the right and I can't adjust anything.

fire alarm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
is there any way to fix it? I just updated last week because it hadn't been updated since May or June, when the computer died.

brycemason

macrumors member
May 18, 2011
Reviving this thread because there's a free version of this program (v0.5) floating around that does an excellent job, but is command line only for Leopard. I just used it to increase the threshold at which my fans kick on on my PB 12 because I am using it as a music server and wanted to eliminate fan noise. Playing music in iTunes the heat stabilizes a couple degrees C higher than without the fans. No big deal and NO NOISE!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.