Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Barrynator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2011
Hi,
got a Macbook Pro 2.66 ghz bought sometime in 2008, and it has been my best friend and life-partner next to my wife and kid since then.

But today when I came home from work the screen was completely black.
When I try to start it up i get the hard-drive sound but not the apple chime, I can hear the hard-drive buzzing but nothing happens. Also the sleep light is on, but it is constant, not dimming.

I did a fast google search and found some references to the logic board, but nothing to specific.
Anyone able to help or share some wisdom?
I would prefer not to buy a new one since they are quite expensive here in norway:)

Thank you!

aCondor

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2010
United States
I would say to go to an Apple store but I assume you don't have one nearby in Norway? That's usually the best bet in these types of situations.

Barrynator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2011
I would say to go to an Apple store but I assume you don't have one nearby in Norway? That's usually the best bet in these types of situations.
We have some stores that carry apple products but im looking for a quick and easy fix here. Something along the lines of push here and press that for 3 sec:D
I suspect that the logic board is fuxxed and i need to buy a new one, but could use some input from the expertise this forum carries.

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
Must be the thing now. My 2006 Macbook Pro just went black yesterday right before I left work. I use the DVI port at work and nothing on the monitor either. I can connect via screen sharing but the lcd and dvi does not work anymore. I tried rebooting and pram reset. The about this mac shows the GMA950 but no displays so I guess I am screwed. How long to the new Macbook Pros get refreshed? I use this for work and can't really wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.