Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services

Old Jan 28, 2011, 11:20 AM   #1
Sacred
macrumors member

Possibly to still get a .mac email address?

I've been looking at the mobileme package offered by apple and it seems really good I've been needing a professional sounding email for my CV and for networking so am outgrowing my hotmail.com one that I made when I was 13. My brother already uses this paying 60 a year for another 30 we can upgrade to a family account which is great as costs us both less in the long run.

However will I be able to get a .mac address or am I forced into using the awful narcissistic .me email addresses as if thats the case I would rather not bother. I dont want the email address on my CV to say .me as it sounds like I'm full of my own importance.

Oh and my brothers email address is .mac if that makes any difference?

Thanks guys
Sacred is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2011, 11:37 AM   #2
MacDawg
macrumors P6

Unfortunately, .mac is no longer available

Only those grandfathered in (like me ) have it
MacDawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2011, 11:48 AM   #3
PurpleMarmalade
macrumors regular

No, indeed, and it looks likely that the @mac email address will be phased out entirely in the not-too-distant future - sending from them will be made impossible.

I agree on the @me address - no class.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:19 PM   #4
Sacred
macrumors member

Thats such a shame .me has no class at all don't know what Apple were thinking when they dreamed that one up!
Guess I'll pass on getting a mobileme account, does anyone know of a similer email package that offers a more professional sounding email address?
Sacred is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:28 PM   #5
PurpleMarmalade
macrumors regular

Google Apps with your own domain name would be my suggestion - that's what I use. My email address is firstname@firstnamelastname.com. It uses Gmail, but I also know that if/when Gmail goes under in 20/30/X years, I can transfer the address to the email provider du jour. As far as these things can be foreseeable, it will be my email address until I die.

Otherwise, firstname.lastname@gmail (or some close variant) sounds professional. Fastmail.fm also has a great reputation for service.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 12:55 AM   #6
neko girl
macrumors 6502a

@PurpleMarmalade: You can also make gmail receive/send seamless with your MobileMe account, if that was useful to you. It's under settings in MobileMe on the web.
neko girl is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services