Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Jan 28, 2011, 11:39 AM   #1
3dy.ro
macrumors newbie

Finder - How can I hide the toolbar permanently?

I'm using keyboard shortcuts for everything. If there is no shortcut for something, I make it.

Since I'm doing this, I removed the toolbars of all my apps. Sadly, Finder's toolbar still manages to appear 1 out of 10 times (well, mostly with new folders, folders I didn't open before, and disk images).

How can I tell Finder that I just want to get rid of the damn toolbar forever? It is obviously possible, but I don't have the slightest idea how to do it.

Also, hiding the toolbar also hides the sidebar (I'm on 10.5.8). I learned to live with this, but I'd like to hide only the toolbar if it's possible. And it is. I just meant... if any of you know.

Thanks a lot, and have a great day! Oh, that's my first post.
3dy.ro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2011, 11:41 AM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Why not just View > Customize Toolbar and drag everything off the toolbar?
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2011, 11:45 AM   #3
Dalton63841
macrumors 65816

Sounds like you might want Simple Finder. Check this out: http://www.usingmac.com/2009/1/29/do...nterface-level

Note that it also gets rid of the sidebar, but if you are using keyboard shortcuts for everything that probably doesn't matter to you.
Dalton63841 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2011, 11:59 AM   #4
3dy.ro
macrumors newbie

@GGJstudios
Because the toolbar size will just be reduced to 50%, but it will still take space and it will not be like it was hidden. Try it, you'll see what I mean. An empty toolbar eats a lot of space.

@Dalton63841
Simple Finder doesn't support keyboard shortcuts, selecting, CTRL+Click, I can't even copy and paste with it. Also, every folder opens in a new window.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 03:05 PM   #5
Mal
macrumors 603

Use one of the various tools such as Onyx to delete all of the .DS_Store files from your computer (this will remove any custom views that have been set for folders), then open a brand new Finder window, hide the toolbar, and immediately close it again. That should set the default for all new windows to open without the toolbar. The only exception will be if you download a DMG or a zip archive or similar that has any view preferences set, those will open however they were configured by the company/person distributing them, but shouldn't affect your defaults.

EDIT: Incidentally, I've not hidden mine but reduced it significantly. I rather like the look it produces, and it doesn't take up much space.

Thumb resize.

jW
NoiseTrade.com/Walker
Mal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2011, 05:36 PM   #6
r0k
macrumors 68040

I'm glad I stumbled across this thread. I changed mine to small icons rather than text. The space it uses doesn't bother me that much, but it's nice to know how to customize it when I want to.
r0k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 02:02 AM   #7
3dy.ro
macrumors newbie

@Mal
I did it in the past, but:
1. It screws up all my folder-related preferences.
2. Opening DMGs, memory sticks, external HDDs, and anything else other than regular folders still displays the toolbar. And so do folder aliases... if I open a folder through an alias, it is shown with the toolbar. Even if I hide it, the next time I boot my Mac and open the same folder through the same alias, the toolbar is here.

Yes, that's 50% of the solution, but it still takes space and it is still useless.

@r0k
I do. I have a widescreen MacBook and every "vertical" pixel counts. I turned off the toolbar of every app I use, and none of them reverts the setting. Except Finder.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X