Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAndrew92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2011
Oporto, Portugal
Hello, I'm new in this forum.
I've a kinda noob question xd, I've got a powermac g5 dual with 2 gb ram. Its running 10.4.11 should I upgrade? I only use that computer for web browsing, photoshop cs4, itunes msn etc...?
Am I the only person in the world using tiger cause i really Don't wanna to upgrade :p

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
If it does the job for you, then there is no need to. Many PPC Mac users still use Tiger. The price of Leopard is astronomical at the moment since it's not officially available anymore.

Nov 28, 2010
located
If it still works, why upgrade?
And you are not the only person still suing Tiger, there are even people using lower versions, even non X versions of Mac OS.

But if you thing upgrading to Leopard would improve things and it is worth the money (129 USD), then go for it. It introduced QuickLook and Spaces and Time Machine, maybe they are very valuable functions for you.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
no need to spend all that money for leopard , give the cash a good purpose and add some more ram instead of throwing it unnecessary out of the window for a scratched used leopard retaildisc , tiger still flies especially on a PowerMac g5

walterwhite

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2011
South Central PA
10.5.x and higher is also still supported... 10.4.11 doesnt get the updates or support anymore from apple so surfing the internet with 10.4.11 will become more and more limited as time progresses.

MacAndrew92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2011
Oporto, Portugal
Last edited:

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
yes dashboard items definitive ,if you dont want dashboard you can disable it, spotlight is taking its fair share too and can be disabled too

but if you keep activity monitor open you will find that your Mac can handle that , so nothing that should concern you

Last edited:

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
ok a dual 2.7 great Mac ,but watch inside regular for leaks something that should concern you more then the ram usage of each app or widget , but could you be specific about why you are so concerned , ok 2 gb ram is not a huge amount , but usually more then sufficient for tiger to run smooth , and you will always spot activity when the Mac is on, i mean there is nothing unusual happening in your activities

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.