Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Hi Guys, I normally hate should I buy threads but I have done a lot of googling and could do with some hindsight from like minded mac minds.

Well I've decided to treat myself to a macbook air and can not decide which to get. Hard Drive size is not an issue so 64gb is fine 128gb will probably remain 80gb free so as I say it's a non issue.

However reading some sites in regards to benchmarks.

All are comparing the 1.6 4GB model to the stock 1.4 2GB model.

What I would be interested to know is what is the base 1.4 4GB like in comparison to the 1.6 4GB.

The reason I ask is the 1.4 4GB is €929 and the 1.6 4GB is €1129 albeit with the addition of the bigger HDD as well, which as I say is a non issue.

€200 is a good 20% more cost wise.

If we are to presume that the 10% benchmark difference posted all over in regards to the 1.6/4gb to 1.4/2gb - this is reduced/negated somewhat when the 1.4 has 4GB ??

At this stage I'm veering towards the 1.4 but would be happy to hear from users of either and especially the 1.4 4GB. Thanks

Jezak

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2008
I have now owned both with 4GB or RAM and can tell you from experience that I noticed no performance increase from the 1.4 to the 1.6 in my usage pattern. I use the 11in air to surf the web, write code, build websites, blog, email, and play some games (WoW, Emulation stuff).

The extra harddrive space of the 1.6 was worth the price for my wife when we bought the second 11in air and I agree with her.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Thanks Jezak :) appreciate your feedback :)

Pretty much what I plan to do with it. I have a main machine (mac pro) and a 64GB 3G ipad - but need somthing just to tinker away on writing code for a new side project I'm working on, the couple of nights I don't have access to my main machine, as well as edit the odd photoshop file etc.

I love my ipad, but there are somethings you just can not do with it.

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
Everything I had read about the 1.4GHz 11" was that the ONE drawback was the very weak processor...I figured that I would upgrade to the highest I could to try and counter that weakness as much as possible...I do a lot of Handbrake converting and it is reasonable on the 1.6GHz...I'm glad I did the upgrade...After reading the AnandTech article that BlackMax so kindly posted, I see that it isn't just my imagination :D

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Ihave read the article previously and for the most part its very informative however it was exactly because of articles such as this that I phrased my question.

The article is written really as a comparison to the stock model, it doesn't really address the situation of the 1.4 if it had 4gb of Ram initially, and I wonder would they have been so critical of processor if it had.

macproguy77

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2009
Here is a pretty good article on this topic from AnandTech.

Apple's 11-inch Upgraded MacBook Air: Do 1.6GHz and 4GB Make a Difference?

This article recommended the CPU and Memory upgrades.
However, it had the opposite effect on me.
It confirmed that my decision to buy the 11" base model (1.4 / 2Gig ) was the correct one.

The upgraded cpu and memory resulted in a measly 15% increase in speed at best.
So a task that took 100 seconds, now took 115 seconds with the base model.

Who can't wait 15 more seconds for a 300+ dollar savings?
Or better yet, a task that takes 30 seconds would take 34.5 seconds on the base model.
Not to mention I'll get sightly better battery life.
I'm so glad I read this article.. you guys all had be convinced I needed the upgrades, but I found a 920.00 deal on a base model and bought it because it was cheap. I had some doubts and remorse today, but those are now gone.
SWEET!!!

This is usually a secondary device anyway, so it doesn't need to be lightning quick.. Difference is negligible for me.. Glad I saved the money.. And, look on the bright side. I'll be quicker to upgrade next refresh since I saved 400 bucks this time around.

Last edited:

rrl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2009
You're over thinking this, so I'll make it easy: Max it out and don't look back. This device will be a relatively long-term work horse for you; don't leave any performance on the table. There. No regrets. Done.

Enjoy!

ccsicecoke

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
This article recommended the CPU and Memory upgrades.
However, it had the opposite effect on me.
It confirmed that my decision to buy the 11" base model (1.4 / 2Gig ) was the correct one.

The upgraded cpu and memory resulted in a measly 15% increase in speed at best.
So a task that took 100 seconds, now took 115 seconds with the base model.

Who can't wait 15 more seconds for a 300+ dollar savings?
Or better yet, a task that takes 30 seconds would take 34.5 seconds on the base model.
Not to mention I'll get sightly better battery life.

The faster CPU would result in more battery life if both of them are based on same architecture. While in idle state, the 1.4GHz and 1.6GHz CULV have the same power consumption. But if computer deals with heavy task, faster CPU would finish the task and go back to idle state more quickly, hence consumes less power

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
You're over thinking this, so I'll make it easy: Max it out and don't look back. This device will be a relatively long-term work horse for you; don't leave any performance on the table. There. No regrets. Done.

Enjoy!
This was my thinking...I had the extra money to spend, I wanted the best possible performance in the 11.6" form factor...I went for the 1.6GHz, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD version...couldn't be happier...:D

bmat

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2004
East Coast, USA
I have a 11.6 ultimate, and my wife has a 11.6 1.4 with 4GB RAM. I've noticed no difference between using her computer versus mine.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I have a 11.6 ultimate, and my wife has a 11.6 1.4 with 4GB RAM. I've noticed no difference between using her computer versus mine.

That is what I suspected and appreciate the first hand feedback. Thanks bmat :)

Enjoy!

Not really. I'm rationalising spending €200 more on a product that I don't necessarily need to spend if it makes only a nominal difference. The MacBook air will do some work but not really a work horse :)

Last edited:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I was debating between the 1.86GHz 4GB and 2.13GHz 4GB version and went with the 2.13GHz primarily for psychological reasons (I already had a 1.86GHz Rev B). I'm happy with my purchase and would probably do it again. That said, I'd readily advise others to stick with the "base" configuration if that's all they need. The difference is not likely to be that noticeable.

Since it's not a "workhorse" I'd suggest the 4GB 1.4GHz model. Put the rest toward your next MacBook Air. I'm likely to skip the Rev E, but will seriously look at the Rev F assuming it has the Ivy Bridge chip and its IGP represents a step up from the NVIDIA 320M (the move to Sandy Bridge is looking more lateral since the CPU is a boost, but the IGP is a slight downgrade).

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
This was my thinking...I had the extra money to spend, I wanted the best possible performance in the 11.6" form factor...I went for the 1.6GHz, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD version...couldn't be happier...:D

I agree 100%! Upgrade to the maximum unless you are really strapped for cash. You will never have the someday question "I wonder if I should have upgraded the...". It is such an awesome computer!

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Here is a suggestion.

1. If you planning to keep it long period of time like 3 years or more, go for max. Don't look back.

2. If you are not, then go for slower processor. However, everything gets outdated these days as soon as you buy them.

Also, I don't understand why it's such a big deal to spend extra 100 dollars on a laptop. The processor upgrade is just merely 100 dollars. If you are worrying about cashing out 100 dollars more on a laptop that costs 1000. Then, perhaps, you are so cheap and you shouldn't even get this laptop.

ditosou

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
hummmm

merely my opinion:

if you plan a "short" usage for the machine (e.g. 1,2 years) get the base model. Otherwise... get the ultimate model.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
merely my opinion:

if you plan a "short" usage for the machine (e.g. 1,2 years) get the base model. Otherwise... get the ultimate model.

I think, though, that it also depends on what you are planning on using it for during the period of time you plan on keeping it. I would pay the extra $100 for a 14% increase in speed for processor intensive things because some of my programs do some heavy number crunching (yet I still wanted the 11.6" form factor).

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Also, I don't understand why it's such a big deal to spend extra 100 dollars on a laptop. The processor upgrade is just merely 100 dollars. If you are worrying about cashing out 100 dollars more on a laptop that costs 1000. Then, perhaps, you are so cheap and you shouldn't even get this laptop.

In the OP's case, since the 64GB SSD is sufficient, going up to the 1.6GHz model would also require purchasing a bigger SSD than what he or she needs.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
The faster CPU would result in more battery life if both of them are based on same architecture. While in idle state, the 1.4GHz and 1.6GHz CULV have the same power consumption. But if computer deals with heavy task, faster CPU would finish the task and go back to idle state more quickly, hence consumes less power

While I agree, that what you said * theoretically* makes sense, which it does, it is incorrect.

Even though the SU9400 and SU9600 draw the same amount of volts, that extra 200mhz in clock speed results in more energy being used, which in-turn results in a slightly less battery life.

This anandtech article explains it: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4000/...air-review-do-16ghz-and-4gb-make-a-difference

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
I think, though, that it also depends on what you are planning on using it for during the period of time you plan on keeping it. I would pay the extra $100 for a 14% increase in speed for processor intensive things because some of my programs do some heavy number crunching (yet I still wanted the 11.6" form factor).
We must be of "The Borg"...:eek::D

borg.jpg

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
In the OP's case, since the 64GB SSD is sufficient, going up to the 1.6GHz model would also require purchasing a bigger SSD than what he or she needs.

Please save me from that 64GB storage story. If you buying a laptop and if you have any serious intent to use it, anyone would know that 64GB storage is a joke. How much space will it be left after Snow leopard has been installed, hmmmm?

People complain the storage on 64GB iPad is too small.

If you are worried about 200-300 dollars, then perhaps, this laptop is too much for the OP, period. Go buy yourself a refurbished unit.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Please save me from that 64GB storage story. If you buying a laptop and if you have any serious intent to use it, anyone would know that 64GB storage is a joke. How much space will it be left after Snow leopard has been installed, hmmmm?

People complain the storage on 64GB iPad is too small.

If you are worried about 200-300 dollars, then perhaps, this laptop is too much for the OP, period. Go buy yourself a refurbished unit.

Indeed. A refurbished machine could be a great way to go.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Indeed. A refurbished machine could be a great way to go.

From reading these forums early on, it sure sounded like a lot of people bought one version and them changed their mind and got a different one. I'm sure there are plenty of refurbed units that are in pretty good shape. (Although I'm pretty happy to have gotten a brand spanking new one). :)

ccsicecoke

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
While I agree, that what you said * theoretically* makes sense, which it does, it is incorrect.

Even though the SU9400 and SU9600 draw the same amount of volts, that extra 200mhz in clock speed results in more energy being used, which in-turn results in a slightly less battery life.

This anandtech article explains it: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4000/...air-review-do-16ghz-and-4gb-make-a-difference

I believe the battery shortage is mainly caused by extra 2GB ram. No evidence though. To be fair, Anandtech should compare between 1.4/4GB and 1.6/4GB, not 1.4/2GB and 1.6/4GB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.