Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tstirling22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
I was recently given an iPhone 4 from a friend of mine, but it has no sim card. When i plug it into iTunes, there doesn't appear to be a way to check the storage capacity (16gb or 32gb). Is there any way that i can find out the storage capacity of this phone?

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
If the phone is working, go Settings > General > About.
A 16GB model should show about 14GB in the capacity, and I'm guessing the 32GB would show around 30GB.

tstirling22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
I'm sorry I must be missing something. Where is settings located?

EDIT: Never mind. The iPhone is in recovery mode. Is there any way i can check the storage capacity on my mac?

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
The Settings app?

EDIT: oops, I see you are having other troubles, don't know how to help there sorry.

Attachments

• iphone.jpg
    iphone.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 1,552

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Ummm.... did you turn it over and look at the back? My 3GS shows that it is a 16GB model, printed right on the backside.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Ahhhh, ok I didn't know that. I wonder why Apple removed that.

So then they don't need to make the distinction between the back plates. Instead of specifically making one for each capacity, they just make one so it can fit on any iPhone 4 and if they make an 8GB iPhone 4 later, then I guess they wouldn't need to worry about the extra 16 and 32gb back plates they might have (but then again, those can go for refurbs)

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
The OP sounds like a troll. Seriously, you dont know where the settings button is?

tstirling22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
Restore the iPhone then you'll find out what the GB capacity is. If you have the original box that will of course also tell you.
I can't restore the phone because I don't have a sim card. Nor do I have the original box

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
If this is an AT&T iphone, go to the AT&T store and tell them you need a pay as you go SIM. Put the minimum on it and have it activated. If they ask for the phone, tell them it's at home (don't be dumb and tell them it's an iphone). Cut the SIM to size and pop it in.
I can't restore the phone because I don't have a sim card. Nor do I have the original box

tstirling22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
If this is an AT&T iphone, go to the AT&T store and tell them you need a pay as you go SIM. Put the minimum on it and have it activated. If they ask for the phone, tell them it's at home (don't be dumb and tell them it's an iphone). Cut the SIM to size and pop it in.
Hmm ok. Sounds like the only option at this point. The iPhone 4 uses a microsim though. That shouldn't be a problem though right?

Get the serial number off the sim tray in the top and enter it here:
go to here https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do
That will tell you what size the iPhone is. :)

I just did this with mine, and it simpley tells me that it is an iPhone 4. I broke my 8gb iphone 4 earlier this year and went to the Apple Store and paid the $150 to trade out for a refurb. I now have a 5 and am planning to sell this one. According to iTunes AND the settings, this has a capacity of 13.7gb. Are there any errors that could cause it to show the wrong capacity? I was thinking itunes might have somehow been showing the specs for one of our iphones, but I can't imagine how the settings in the phone would show the wrong specs.

I came here to ask for help in making sure this is correct. I don't want to misrepresent anything on ebay. I believe I have instead convinced myself that this is correct. Good day to you. :D

macsrwe

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2006
Arizona
I just did this with mine, and it simpley tells me that it is an iPhone 4. I broke my 8gb iphone 4 earlier this year and went to the Apple Store and paid the $150 to trade out for a refurb. I now have a 5 and am planning to sell this one. According to iTunes AND the settings, this has a capacity of 13.7gb. Are there any errors that could cause it to show the wrong capacity? I was thinking itunes might have somehow been showing the specs for one of our iphones, but I can't imagine how the settings in the phone would show the wrong specs.

I came here to ask for help in making sure this is correct. I don't want to misrepresent anything on ebay. I believe I have instead convinced myself that this is correct. Good day to you. :D

Came here looking for an answer to this question without success. Someone else gave me exactly the answer I needed:

https://sndeep.info/en

Type in the IMEI number (printed on the back of my model, hopefully yours as well) and it will tell you precisely what you have. Also attempts to tell you if it is lost or stolen. Joy!

Reactions: FractalSystems

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Came here looking for an answer to this question without success. Someone else gave me exactly the answer I needed:

https://sndeep.info/en

Type in the IMEI number (printed on the back of my model, hopefully yours as well) and it will tell you precisely what you have. Also attempts to tell you if it is lost or stolen. Joy!
The thread you replied to is 5+ years old. I’m sure the OP figured it out by now or got rid of the phone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.