Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aslakege

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Hi,

I have a VPN connection from Strong VPN set up on a Mac Mini.

I would like to specify that Boxee uses this connection, but no other traffic from or to my computer should use it.

Is this possible?

Sincerely,
Aslak Ege

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
No, because VPNs operate at a lower level in the OSI stack. VPNs run between layer 3 and layer 4, well below layer 7.

aslakege

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Thanks for responding so quickly, belvdr.

I am (vaguely) familiar with the OSI stack, but is there no way to differentiate on level 3/4 then, e.g. IP addresses and routes?

Put differently, what is the actual impact of unchecking the "Send all traffic over VPN connection"? With reference to for instance

http://blog.liip.ch/archive/2006/01/07/changing-default-routes-on-os-x-on-vpn.html

it seems that if the VPN service is below the Ethernet service in the ordered list in Network, the default route is not through the VPN connection. Does this not mean that I should be able to add a new route, include the IP ranges which Boxee, Hulu and Vudu access, and then have de facto differentiation between applications (although it actually happens on level 3/4)?

Looking forward to your response. I am definitely on thin ice here.

nemanjaj

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2010
If you specify the addresses/networks you want to route - that can work. Of course, all applications will go through VPN for those IP's.
You can't specify applications which you want to go through VPN.

aslakege

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
..and that is exactly what I did.

1. Move Ethernet on top in the ordered list
2. Uncheck the "Send all.."
3. Create an /etc/ppp/ip-up file
4. Add a route for the IP range used by Hulu
5. Save the file and make it executable
6. Pop some popcorn and enjoy the shows. :)

Can't really see situation where traffic to these sites should not go via VPN, so the solution is fine for me.

The challenge now is to identify all IP ranges used by Netflix, but that should be doable.

Thanks for the help.

daredewil

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2011
Address list(s)

Hi,
Mind to share the hulu address list?

I'm trying to gather hulu and vudu lists.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.