Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 29, 2011, 10:54 AM   #1
SydneyJunkie
macrumors regular

Is there anyway to see what date and time a photo was taken?

On the iPhone itself, this is a flaw
SydneyJunkie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2011, 12:13 AM   #2
eagleglen
macrumors 6502

One app that I use frequently and is free, is called Koredoko. It can access your album and shows the time and date, gps coordinates, and the location the photo was taken on a map. It's a nice simple app that let's you quickly see photo locations but you may also find useful.
eagleglen is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2011, 12:26 AM   #3
lsvtecjohn3
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleglen View Post
One app that I use frequently and is free, is called Koredoko. It can access your album and shows the time and date, gps coordinates, and the location the photo was taken on a map. It's a nice simple app that let's you quickly see photo locations but you may also find useful.
I just downloaded that. It's a good app that's free. I hope that Apple intergrades this feather in iOS 5
lsvtecjohn3 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2011, 01:10 AM   #4
Apollo 13
macrumors 6502a

wow didn't know it didn't have this feature.
Apollo 13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2011, 04:04 AM   #5
seajay96
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyJunkie View Post
On the iPhone itself, this is a flaw
Yes, definitely leap to the conclusion that it's a flaw, that Apple screwed up, that the world is going to end. Look, there are literally thousands of features that Apple didn't include on the iPhone that they could have but the bottom line is that someone made decisions based on things like market research and consumer reviews. Being able to review EXIF data just simply did not rank high enough in the desired features list to include on the phone itself. The data is there, you just have to find a third party program that will show it.

Go into the app store and search for EXIF. There are two or three free apps that will do what you want.

Last edited by seajay96; Jan 30, 2011 at 04:11 AM.
seajay96 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2011, 04:23 AM   #6
ValenR
macrumors member

Instead of using thousand of apps just to do something, I'd still prefer the Stock Photos app to be able to show me the picture's "info".
Yes sure it's not as important to some people, but it sure is nice when you have lots of pictures you'd like to organize depending on date/event.

Last edited by ValenR; Jan 30, 2011 at 04:28 AM.
ValenR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2011, 01:01 PM   #7
SydneyJunkie
macrumors regular

Quote:
This app is fantastic thanx
SydneyJunkie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2011, 06:02 PM   #8
DDustiNN
macrumors 6502a

I like how my Android phone just names the pictures by the date/time... IMG_20110129_230417.jpg would be a photo that was taken on January 29th, 2011, at 11:04 PM (23:04 military time) (and 17 seconds). It's simple and doesn't require anything extra.

How does the iPhone name and organize photos? Can you create albums and move photos around and stuff?
DDustiNN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2011, 06:02 PM   #9
Gjeepguy
macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenR
Instead of using thousand of apps just to do something, I'd still prefer the Stock Photos app to be able to show me the picture's "info".
Yes sure it's not as important to some people, but it sure is nice when you have lots of pictures you'd like to organize depending on date/event.
Apple does make a product For that. It's called iPhoto. It organizes all your photos by event so you can put them back on your phone.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 01:03 AM   #10
Jason B
macrumors regular

Quote:
This app is awesome!!! Just tried it and it's amazing to me all the detailed info you can get! It knows the actual "address" where any pic was taken, the date, lat/longitude, and 30 other details.

Wonder if cydia has anything to tweak the stock photo app
Jason B is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 04:23 PM   #11
NECHELLE35
macrumors newbie

Thank you so much. This app is incredible!! Had a car accident today, took photos and could not tell when I took them. Not only did this app give date and time but it also gave location!!! WHOO HOO!!!
NECHELLE35 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 04:50 PM   #12
darricksailo
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDustiNN View Post
I like how my Android phone just names the pictures by the date/time... IMG_20110129_230417.jpg would be a photo that was taken on January 29th, 2011, at 11:04 PM (23:04 military time) (and 17 seconds). It's simple and doesn't require anything extra.

How does the iPhone name and organize photos? Can you create albums and move photos around and stuff?
It just names it IMG_XXXX.jpg or with file extension png

You cannot organize the camera roll pictures, it's organize chronologically (or when you added the pictures to the camera roll)

You can sort of of organize but it's highly inefficient. You can make a folder and "move" your pictures from camera roll to the folder but the file that gets moved in the folder is just a shortcut to the picture

So now you have one picture file but have it shown up in the camera roll and the album folder you made

You just can't access the files itself on the device itself like with android OS unless you jailbreak. It's pretty locked down when not jailbroken
darricksailo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 04:54 PM   #13
mikeydeezy
macrumors 6502a

There's a Cydia app called Dater that does exactly this.
mikeydeezy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:45 PM   #14
kenetic
macrumors regular

Just tried Koredoko. The app is great! Now I don't need to load the pictures into iPhoto to get more info.
kenetic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:41 AM   #15
SoLongAndroid
macrumors member

You could probably also use an EXIF data viewer.

Jefferey's Exif viewer

http://regex.info/exif.cgi
SoLongAndroid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2013, 08:15 PM   #16
hottoxik
macrumors newbie

Smile Fantastic relief,,,

Quote:
This app is amazing,its come at a perfect time,i have been to numerous phone shops,asked untold people for help,and i discovered you and this app, thank you sooo much for you help..its great
hottoxik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2013, 03:52 AM   #17
esskay
macrumors 6502

I too am irritated that you can't check time/date of photos on the device. Thanks eagleglen for the tip on Koredoko!
esskay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2013, 08:06 AM   #18
iapplelove
macrumors 68000

The stock photo app does provide date info when you select years to view and group your photos. It does not provide time neither does iPhoto, however like others have said there are plenty of free apps in the App Store that exist.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 10:19 AM   #19
zorinlynx
macrumors 68030

iPhoto for iPhone, though not a very useful app for other things, does give you this information. It even shows you the location you took the photo on the map, ISO, shutter speed, etc...

It's a worthwhile purchase just because it's a powerful photo browser.
zorinlynx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2013, 11:47 AM   #20
garysauctions
macrumors newbie

Not only can you tell the date and time a photo was taken but in most cases you can tell ....

Camera Model
Camera Serial Number
Exposure Settings

All kinds of information can be found in an images metadata.
garysauctions is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:12 AM   #21
B.A.T
macrumors 6502

I use photos plus. It gives you what you asked for with a quick tap at the bottom of the screen

Untitled by Angel of Depth, on Flickr

and it will show you your location on a map with another tap.
Untitled by Angel of Depth, on Flickr
B.A.T is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone