Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 4, 2005, 09:18 AM   #1
Scarpad
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
I can't Believe Mac Central posted this Link

http://www.divisiontwo.com/articles/MacMini2.html

If this guy ain't Anti Mac I don't know who is, but why would Mac Central link this obvious distortion of details
Scarpad is offline   0
Old Feb 4, 2005, 09:53 AM   #2
emw
macrumors 603
 
emw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
If I actually thought someone would listen to this guy, I'd be more upset. But with an obvious lack of any real knowledge of Macs, or even general facts, it's easy to disregard this a pure uniformed blather.

I'm not saying everyone should love the mini, or Macs for that matter, but at least get your facts straight.

Quote:
...I could get a Mac mini computer for $499 and have no keyboard or mouse, no serial ports, no way to connect a printer, no PS/2 ports, no floppy drive, no 5.25" bays, no PCI slots, no speakers, and no Windows XP...

...or I could grab an equally stylish, full-featured eMachine at the gas station with a bag of chips for less than half the Mini's price, with the added benefit of being able to run Windows XP.* Decisions, decisions.
no PS/2 ports?! WTF is that? No way to connect a printer? Um, USB. But really - an "equally stylish" eMachine?

Oh, and the part about

Quote:
the new Mini is “smaller than most packs of gum” and weighs “less than four quarters”
would seem to be about the Shuffle, not the mini.

Moron.
__________________
Think. Then post.
emw is offline   0
Old Feb 4, 2005, 10:01 AM   #3
thequicksilver
macrumors 6502a
 
thequicksilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Birmingham
Send a message via Skype™ to thequicksilver
People… it's a JOKE. It's a satirical review of the mainstream's reaction to Apple.

Read some of the other stuff on that site, it's meant purely as entertainment.
__________________
Early 2011 MBP with Hi Res & 8 GB
"Poetry is a way for bad authors to get their work published" © Me, 1999.
Photos
thequicksilver is offline   0
Old Feb 4, 2005, 10:11 AM   #4
Alte22a
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: back in London
Send a message via AIM to Alte22a
read the first few paragraphs and it was all wrong, so wrong that I didnt want to red anymore.
__________________
Macbook Pro 15.4" 2.8Ghz Antiglare w/320GB 7200RPm, Mac Pro Quad core Xeon 2.8 w/ 4TB, iPod Touch 16GB
Alte22a is offline   0
Old Feb 4, 2005, 10:16 AM   #5
KCK
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Oakland, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad
http://www.divisiontwo.com/articles/MacMini2.html

If this guy ain't Anti Mac I don't know who is, but why would Mac Central link this obvious distortion of details
I don't know if it is a sadder fact that many Mac fans can't figure out this column is a joke or many Windows users can't figure out it is a joke.
KCK is offline   0
Old Feb 4, 2005, 10:19 AM   #6
emw
macrumors 603
 
emw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCK
I don't know if it is a sadder fact that many Mac fans can't figure out this column is a joke or many Windows users can't figure out it is a joke.
Yes, but I'm doped up on flu meds, so I'll use that as an excuse. I finally went to the divisiontwo.com website and it is apparent it's just a joke site.
__________________
Think. Then post.
emw is offline   0
Old Feb 4, 2005, 10:22 AM   #7
brap
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Nottingham
MR members are well known for not recognising satire when it's posted... kinda funny in itself. As for the article -- Hilarious and offensive!
Quote:
Think of it more as a first computer for your daughter or niece than as a machine to get any serious work done and you’ll get the point of the Mini and its target market. It might also be the perfect computer for grandmothers or autistic children, for example.
__________________
( just visiting )
brap is offline   0
Old Feb 4, 2005, 10:40 AM   #8
killmoms
macrumors 68040
 
killmoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Send a message via AIM to killmoms Send a message via Yahoo to killmoms
Do you guys never look at MacBytes or what? We were all over this mess of "satire" ages ago.

And yes, it's another "I wish I was as funny as The Onion but I'm clearly not" site.
__________________
thrillmoms.com - You know it.
Welcome to the family…
Mugi: Mid-2012 15" Retina MBP, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD
Azusa: 64GB iPhone 5, Nagato: 16GB WiFi Retina iPad Mini
killmoms is offline   0
Old Feb 5, 2005, 05:13 AM   #9
rdowns
macrumors Penryn
 
rdowns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
If you're going to post a thread, you might want to read the whole page you are referring to. How can you not get that this is satire.

Here's a hint, this was at the bottom of the page.

Mattel's BarbieOS challenges Microsoft Windows for the Hearts of Adolescent Girls

Here's the thread on it:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthr...threadid=108552
__________________
If you say you're leaving Apple because Tim Cook announced he's gay, don't let the door hit you in the ass.

Last edited by rdowns; Feb 5, 2005 at 05:20 AM.
rdowns is offline   0
Old Feb 5, 2005, 12:02 PM   #10
daveL
macrumors 68020
 
daveL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCK
I don't know if it is a sadder fact that many Mac fans can't figure out this column is a joke or many Windows users can't figure out it is a joke.
Maybe that's because the author didn't do a very good job. If you're not very up on Macs, why would you conclude that the information presented in the article wasn't fact?
__________________
-daveL
daveL is offline   0
Old Feb 5, 2005, 02:53 PM   #11
MadMacs44
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Western Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to MadMacs44
Talking

People please...think about this...its an odd and moronic tale...LAME!
__________________
If you talk to God, you are praying. If God talks to you, you have schizophrenia!
MadMacs44 is offline   0
Old Feb 5, 2005, 02:55 PM   #12
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601
 
BornAgainMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Florida Resident
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveL
Maybe that's because the author didn't do a very good job. If you're not very up on Macs, why would you conclude that the information presented in the article wasn't fact?
Perhaps this part..."So is the mini a maxi value?* For me, clearly, no.* When I consider that a good deal of my time is spent running applications like Disk Defragmenter, Scandisk, Norton AV, Windows Update and Ad-Aware--none of which are available for the Mac platform--it doesn't make sense for me to "switch" to a Mac at this time."

But a newbee PC user will think they need to run Windows Update and Scandisk on a Mac and not switch because it isn't available yet. The knowledgeable PC users will get a good laugh out of that and it won't affect them trying the Mac in their homes. The Mac Mini real market is the knowledgeable PC user that has all the tech toys.

Grandma and Joe Average probably won't be interested in the Mini because it won't have a keyboard or floppy drive. The concept of having a computer that small isn't in their grasp of understanding. I wonder what percentage of PC users fall into that category.
BornAgainMac is offline   0
Old Feb 5, 2005, 03:48 PM   #13
arf
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Some people are too stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad
http://www.divisiontwo.com/articles/MacMini2.html

If this guy ain't Anti Mac I don't know who is, but why would Mac Central link this obvious distortion of details
Please, I despair with you guys......

When are you all gonna recognise a joke?
arf is offline   0
Old Feb 5, 2005, 07:38 PM   #14
solvs
macrumors 601
 
solvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: LaLaLand, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveL
Maybe that's because the author didn't do a very good job. If you're not very up on Macs, why would you conclude that the information presented in the article wasn't fact?
Maybe some people won't get it, or will think it's true... but how many of them would be reading this site. Or any of the geek sites that mention it. If you're dumb enough to agree with any of that, you're either already a Mac hater already or you wouldn't understand the article anyway.
__________________
True love never dies
The only thing more dangerous than a woman scorned, is a man with nothing left to lose...
solvs is offline   0
Old Feb 5, 2005, 08:56 PM   #15
jemeinc
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: South Jersey
< "So is the mini a maxi value?* For me, clearly, no.* When I consider that a good deal of my time is spent running applications like Disk Defragmenter, Scandisk, Norton AV, Windows Update and Ad-Aware--none of which are available for the Mac platform--it doesn't make sense for me to "switch" to a Mac at this time.* But will Apple's famous marketing team be able to sell the the emperor an invisible computer anyway and turn the mini into a maxi hit?* That’s the question that remains to be answered.">

This was the part that really made me belly laugh- I guess the rest of it could have been mistaken for serious, but at this point everyone had to have realized, right?...
jemeinc is offline   0
Old Feb 5, 2005, 09:12 PM   #16
Bozola
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: So close to Redmond, I can smell it!
Powerbook G5

Funny....

http://www.divisiontwo.com/articles/appleweek1.html
__________________
Bozola
Proudly 100% Mac. No PC's ever!
Bozola is offline   0
Old Feb 5, 2005, 09:19 PM   #17
mikeyredk
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alte22a
read the first few paragraphs and it was all wrong, so wrong that I didnt want to red anymore.
wow i think your IQ dropped
__________________
You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public.
Scott Adams (1957 - ), The Dilbert Future
mikeyredk is offline   0
Old Feb 5, 2005, 09:50 PM   #18
williamsonrg
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Denver, CO
You'd think the bit about a lack of 5.25" bays would have given it away...
williamsonrg is offline   0
Old Feb 5, 2005, 11:37 PM   #19
Demon Hunter
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsonrg
You'd think the bit about a lack of 5.25" bays would have given it away...
Or maybe this line...

Quote:
By using cheap Asian child labor to assemble the units, costs have been reduced even further.
ROFL.
Demon Hunter is offline   0
Old Feb 6, 2005, 12:19 AM   #20
dornoforpyros
macrumors 68040
 
dornoforpyros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Calgary, AB
Send a message via AIM to dornoforpyros Send a message via MSN to dornoforpyros
lol that's a good read if your looking for a laugh...although the point about the one button mouse is valid...*ducks from sniper fire*
__________________
Pointy metal guitars.
dornoforpyros is offline   0
Old Feb 6, 2005, 01:45 AM   #21
dswoodley
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
It is indeed a joke, however, i didn't realize it until after I emailed him telling him what a complete puke he was...boy do I feel silly.
dswoodley is offline   0
Old Feb 6, 2005, 07:25 AM   #22
Kreamy
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
ROFL that was amazing

Before i realised that it was a joke though i thought the guy was just dumb lol
Kreamy is offline   0
Old Feb 6, 2005, 11:04 AM   #23
munkle
macrumors 68030
 
munkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: On a jet plane
As already mentioned, there is already a pretty healthy thread on this article but as some people seem to be suffering from irony deficiency this article from 'As the Apple Turns' may help:

Quote:
Since things are a little slow right now, it's time once again for an AtAT public service announcement, and today's topic is a doozy: Recognizing and Appreciating Irony. Longtime viewers already know that we've had our share of problems with irony over the years, which we can only assume is our own fault; after all, contemporary U.S. society is increasingly irony-free, so it's only to be expected that a wide cross-section of AtAT's viewership might be ill-equipped to process excess doses of the stuff, particularly if it's mixed with another outmoded ingredient known as "subtlety." We use less (a lot less) of the latter than the former, so we usually stay out of trouble, but every once in a while people take us just a hair too seriously about Apple-commissioned ninja attacks, sellouts to Microsoft, or foreign anatomical spellings.

Why are we bringing this up now, you ask? Well, it's because dozens-- no, seriously, dozens-- of AtAT viewers wrote in demanding that we incorporate Divisiontwo Magazine's unfavorable Mac mini review into our plotline and proceed to rip the author at least six new orifices. The only problem, of course, is that Divisiontwo's review is quite clearly a work of satire already. If you didn't recognize it as such, don't feel bad; we all get fished in now and again. Heck, we ourselves crank this junk out for a living (such as it is), and even we frothed good 'n' hard when we first encountered Dr. Richard Paley's insane rants about Apple's insidious conspiracy to "heed not the message of the Lord Jesus Christ." By the time we had done the research and realized that the whole thing was a work of satire, we'd already cranked out a whole scene about it, which we decided to go ahead and broadcast anyway-- with an addendum, of course.

Unfortunately, there's no magic formula when it comes to recognizing irony, but absurdity is usually a helpful earmark-- especially in suspiciously high concentrations across several instances in a single article. In the Divisiontwo piece, for example, you might note the apparently-earnest suggestion that Apple "strike a deal with China to use inmates to assemble the mini" because it's not cheap enough yet, or the straight-faced claim that the mini "might be the perfect computer for grandmothers or autistic children." Note also that the "reviewer" purports to be "a DeVry graduate with an MCSE certification," which is, of course, the most useless qualification imaginable for an unbiased review of a Macintosh (or, for that matter, for just about anything else).

Furthermore, every one of the author's complaints is a criticism that only the most insular Wintel user could make; he bemoans the mini's lack of "a defragmenter or a registry cleaner" (but not the lack of a Registry), rails against claims that the Mac can run Office when he couldn't even get his Windows Office 2003 CD to install, and whines that Mail "can't execute scripts or open attachments without user intervention" right before noting that "in today's climate of non-stop worms, trojans and viruses, releasing a computer with no virus removal software is irresponsible on the part of Apple." There are a ton more-- practically one in every sentence. Notice how most of the complaints about the mini's "shortcomings" actually highlight serious flaws in the Windows architecture instead? Hey, neat-- that's irony!

We know what you're thinking: ignorant reviewers, analysts, and "journalists" make mistakes just like these all the time, so how can you tell when they're intentional and used for satiric effect? Well, consider the degree; the presence of one or two of these howlers might indicate a clueless author with a chronic case of lead poisoning, but there comes a point where you have to assume that anyone brick-stupid enough to have made this many errors would be too imbecilic to have figured out how to use the crayon to write the review in the first place. Of course, problems often arise when the satirist fails to gauge the irony-savviness of its audience and uses an inappropriate degree of subtlety. The problem is compounded in cases involving emotionally-charged subject matter (like, say, ignorant and unfair Mac reviews); just ask master 18-century satirist Jonathan Swift, whose brilliant A Modest Proposal practically caused riots when people thought he was seriously suggesting that the problems of hunger and overpopulation in Ireland could easily be solved by letting people eat babies.

So what can you do when you're not sure? Well, context can help immensely; if you put aside the Mac mini review for a second and scope out the rest of Divisiontwo, you'll find a ton of other articles, most of which you'll identify as obvious satire after the most cursory review. Read things twice, look for excessive absurdity, and consider whether what's said might actually be praising that which it criticizes and vice versa. If, after all that, you're still not sure whether what you're looking at is irony, you may be able to hire a Brit on a consultant basis to help; it's not a guaranteed solution (remember A Modest Proposal), but in general, the UK population seems less irony-deficient that those of us here in the colonies. Must be all those babies they eat.
I'm sure quite a few of the Brits on MR would be willing to offer their services as a consultant, for a small fee of course, and for anybody who's wondering...those babies are darn tasty

Last edited by munkle; Feb 6, 2005 at 11:06 AM.
munkle is offline   0
Old Feb 16, 2005, 03:28 PM   #24
feakbeak
macrumors 6502a
 
feakbeak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Michigan
ROFL

This is one of funniest articles I have ever read. I love this part:

"When I consider that a good deal of my time is spent running applications like Disk Defragmenter, Scandisk, Norton AV, Windows Update and Ad-Aware--none of which are available for the Mac platform--it doesn't make sense for me to "switch" to a Mac at this time."
__________________

~ Athlon 3800+ X2 / 2 GB / ATI HD 4850
~ 1.42 GHz G4 Mac mini / 1 GB / AE & BT / Super Drive
~ 8 GB iPhone

Last edited by feakbeak; Feb 16, 2005 at 03:31 PM.
feakbeak is offline   0
Old Feb 16, 2005, 03:31 PM   #25
KCK
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Oakland, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by feakbeak
I looked at the main page of the site and it doesn't seem to be a satirical site. The article could be a joke. I don't care, either way, it is one of the funniest articles I have ever read. I love this part:

"When I consider that a good deal of my time is spent running applications like Disk Defragmenter, Scandisk, Norton AV, Windows Update and Ad-Aware--none of which are available for the Mac platform--it doesn't make sense for me to "switch" to a Mac at this time."
I like the latest column from the same person.
http://www.divisiontwo.com/articles/...yshootout.html

The "review" is for utilities that have popped up on their on in the writer's computer in the last week.
KCK is offline   0


 
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Making the all-new Mac Pro" video posted on Apple's site mtmac Mac Pro 1 Dec 9, 2013 03:44 AM
How to see an embedded link in a .me/.mac email crazypeter Mac Basics and Help 1 Jun 12, 2013 06:27 AM
How do I use an image to link link to another page in app? twn2 iPhone/iPad Programming 2 May 17, 2013 04:08 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC