Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 29, 2011, 10:06 PM   #1
black743
macrumors 6502

Verizon iPhone - Sync before activating?

I'm not sure if this will work the same as the current version. But can you sync all of your itunes to the phone before you actually activate it for service? Given the issues that I've heard, I think the best plan is to let it sync through the evening, then let it activate overnight while I sleep...if that's possible that is.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 11:35 AM   #2
saving107
macrumors 603

Given that the Verizon iPhone hasn't even been released yet, what issues have you heard of?

But to answer your question, No, you can not sync your iPhone without first activating it. When you turn on the iPhone for the first time, it will show a "Connect to iTunes" image, that image will not go away until it has been activated, until then, you can not do much with the phone (other than to use it as a paper weight or make Emergency Calls).

Activating it will take you maybe 10 seconds (at the most) through iTunes, so I don't know why you would want to prolong that and let it activate overnight.

saving107 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2011, 12:36 PM   #3
saberahul
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by saving107 View Post
Given that the Verizon iPhone hasn't even been released yet, what issues have you heard of?

But to answer your question, No, you can not sync your iPhone without first activating it. When you turn on the iPhone for the first time, it will show a "Connect to iTunes" image, that image will not go away until it has been activated, until then, you can not do much with the phone (other than to use it as a paper weight or make Emergency Calls).

Activating it will take you maybe 10 seconds (at the most) through iTunes, so I don't know why you would want to prolong that and let it activate overnight.

Well said.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 03:48 PM   #4
black743
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by saving107 View Post

I'm actually talking about activating it for service with the carrier. With Verizon, you have to dial a number and go thru the steps....as opposed to inserting a sim card. So I guess what I'm asking is, with the AT&T version, did you have to insert the sim and get service before you were able to do anything?

And the issues I heard was the nightmare getting AT&T phones to activate on the first day or two.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 03:53 PM   #5
Intell
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by black743 View Post
I'm actually talking about activating it for service with the carrier. With Verizon, you have to dial a number and go thru the steps....as opposed to inserting a sim card. So I guess what I'm asking is, with the AT&T version, did you have to insert the sim and get service before you were able to do anything?

And the issues I heard was the nightmare getting AT&T phones to activate on the first day or two.
Apple and Verizon have most likely made the iPhone activation through iTunes. No need to dial numbers. The activation issues that plagued AT&T where resolved when the iPhone 4 came out and hardly effected the 3Gs. My guess, you'll have the most trouble trying to order one.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone