Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Jan 30, 2011, 06:23 AM   #1
Sossity
macrumors 6502a

using external monitor & macbook pro battery

I read that one can use clamshell mode or have the mac laptop display on & an external monitor, but one should have the AC power cord plugged in.

how would one use an external monitor with a macbook pro, & at the same time maintain the battery as per directions from apple. Apple stats that one should run off the battery & then charge every other day, would this battery maintenance routine work when one is using an external display with a macbook pro?
Sossity is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2011, 06:26 AM   #2
Hellhammer

Send a message via MSN to Hellhammer
Unplug it from the AC adapter every other day. You can use InsomniaX to keep the Mac awake when you close the lid.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 02:56 PM   #3
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sossity View Post
Apple stats that one should run off the battery & then charge every other day, would this battery maintenance routine work when one is using an external display with a macbook pro?
It's not exactly every other day, but you do need to run on battery every few days to keep your battery healthy. As Hellhammer said, you can use InsomniaX to keep it awake while using the external display, or just unplug the display and run it on battery for several hours every few days.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2011, 03:02 PM   #4
Transporteur
macrumors 68030

I'm not exactly sure why Insomniax is recommended here.

Just disconnect the power plug from the book and be done with it. Not really a need for third party software here.
Transporteur is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2011, 03:03 PM   #5
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transporteur View Post
I'm not exactly sure why Insomniax is recommended here.

Just disconnect the power plug from the book and be done with it. Not really a need for third party software here.
If you unplug the AC adapter with the lid closed and an external display attached, your MBP will immediately go into sleep mode. It's not designed to run on battery power while in clamshell mode.

Apple Portables: How to use your computer in closed clamshell (display closed) mode with an external display
Quote:
1. Make sure the computer is plugged in to an outlet using the AC power adapter.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2011, 05:15 PM   #6
Transporteur
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
If you unplug the AC adapter with the lid closed and an external display attached, your MBP will immediately go into sleep mode. It's not designed to run on battery power while in clamshell mode.
Oh I see, we're talking about clamshell mode. I missed that. I was just wondering, cause unplugging the AC with the lid open and an external display connected doesn't force the book to sleep.

Well, I was never a friend of the clamshell mode anyway, wasted screen real estate.
Transporteur is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2013, 08:33 AM   #7
RedGemini
Banned

I know this is an old thread, but I'm so glad I found it.

Odd bits: my 2010 MacBook Pro 15" 2.4GHz Core i5 never had an issue with running my external monitor while unplugged... until I upgraded the hard drive. Unplugging the power cord would turn off the external monitor briefly until I pressed a key on my external keyboard. It would reconnect and work fine (I'm on 10.9 Mavericks). (Almost sounds like it shouldn't work that way to begin with according to what is posted above.)

I used CCC to clone the original drive to the new Seagate 1TB SSHD Hybrid drive. Everything seemed to work as usual, except for this issue. The monitor would pop back on for about 20 seconds then stop. Nothing I did would turn it back on until I plugged it back in.

I had no idea about InsomniaX until now. After first installing it, it appeared it wouldn't work. I checked Disable Lid Sleep, then Preferences>Disable Lid Sleep>Battery, and Start At Login and Save States on Exit. After a reboot, it seems to be working like a charm.

Now I can finally do an occasional battery cycle rundown and keep working. Awesome! Thanks guys/gals!
RedGemini is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals