Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tom80112

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
Hello all..

I bought a used iPhone and use it as a "home phone" making calls over
WiFi using Talkatone/gmail accounts. (IE: No simm card in the iPhone)

I am wondering if anyone has found a more reliable solution as I encounter
two problems with what I am using:

1. Call quality is not great with intermittent cut-outs during the conversation.
2. Talkatone seems to log itself out even when in background mode causing
incoming calls to go straight to voice mail instead of ringing my iPhone.

I know there are a lot of really smart people on this board and someone
has figured this out already... So what's the best solution??

Thanks
Tom

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I love Skype. It is not free for calls to phone numbers, but it is pretty cheap and has very good quality. It's even better if you can do Skype-to-Skype calls; the quality is far superior even to landlines.

Tom80112

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
I might end up paying the $30 per year and moving to skype for better voice
quality,

Can you use skype with a "simm-less" iPhone over WiFi?

When people call a "skyped" iPhone, do they dial a direct number or do
they need to dial a main number then enter an access-number?

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
TextFree with Voice. Hands down. No stupid apps or gimmicks are required on the other people's end. You can call "real" phone numbers - land lines, cell phones, etc. Real phone numbers can call you, etc. Completely FREE/UNLIMITED incoming calls, etc.

treyjustice

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
TX
google voice is hands down the best voip app. you get a free number with unlimited calls and texting and the app works just like the native phone app and is push. get it!

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
google voice is hands down the best voip app. you get a free number with unlimited calls and texting and the app works just like the native phone app and is push. get it!

What does he link his Google Voice number to if he's not using the iPhone as an actual phone? Google Voice does you no good unless you have something to link it to, and if you're using your iPhone as a glorified iPod then you don't have anything to link it to without another app.

He would have to do something like this.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1085271/

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA

Google Voice is *not* a VoIP app.

Acrobits Softphone is the best VoIP program for iOS. It's a SIP based client which works with a variety of VoIP providers.

iiaincorp

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2014
Vaani Voip App for cheap calling,sending voice messages and scheduling calls

Description

Vaani is a Voice over IP application that provides following functionality :-

— Make cheap long distance calls.
— Send pre-recorded voices to traditional landline and mobile phones.
— Schedule a call at later time and send pre-recorded voices to traditional landline and mobile phones.

Signup by specifying mobile number,password and email address.On successful signup, $0.10 free credit will be added in your account to test the services provided by Vaani. Once free credits are exhausted you can buy more credits using In-App purchases.

Vaani app provides easy user interface to navigate between various screens to make calls,record and select voices,buy more credits,check calling rates,check call reports,schedule calls etc.

For best voice quality and results, use Wifi as a preferred network to make calls and use other options provided by Vaani. While using Wifi please ensure that firewall is not blocking access of Vaani to its server for making calls and provide voice content.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.