Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danest

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2008
I just recently got a dropbox account and I have been using it to store my programming files, I am wondering what other uses you guys find it useful for?

Last edited by a moderator:

ender land

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2010
I know some people who store everything there. Makes syncing across multiple computers trivially easy. Probably more reliable in the event of hard drive crashes too to have an account with all your info there.

I mainly use it to coordinate project with with people and share documents a bit easier than svn or other things.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I also recently discovered how awesome Dropbox is. I've replaced my iDisk with Dropbox, because it's vastly superior. I turned off my iDisk's syncing feature a long time ago because it's horrible - repeatedly needs re-syncing, which is a huge pain in the ass, and sometimes I'd put a file on it, go to another computer only to find that my file wasn't synced.

Dropbox handles syncing vastly better, and is *much* faster and more reliable it's unbelievable.

Now that I can reliably sync my files, I now have three copies of my files - on Dropbox, on my computer and on Time Machine. That's how it's supposed to be.

Sorry for the gushing, I'll stop now :)

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
I share all sorts of media with my family, sync my 1password account, and access work files at home and personal files at work. It's so handy...

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
I bought 10 gigs and unlimited versioning. that is the most important part for me. I change files all the time but when you go back a month later and found out you goofed up your stuck.
the only time I have had problems with dropbox is redoing a system and re-syncing. I think it is best to just download the files off dropbox rather then restore your dropbox folder when it was originally and letting dropbox work it out. it has been messy at times. I lost everything in my important folder because of it. but when I got to work I unplugged my router booted up my win 7 computer copied my dropbox folder let it sync and wipe most things out then pasted the contents back in the right place.
so it is better to just re setup the account and let the files download.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I love it. I use it so I can save work on my school computer and not have to bring it home as I can acess all the files on my home computer

And to think I used to use cdrw's back in college for this very purpose!

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
how many people here purchase extra storage?

I have 50G and may go up to 100.

I have compressed/encrypted copies of my documents and library folders.

I have files that I'm sharing with family / friends.

I intend to start adding my best pictures. I'll export the best 10 or 20 shots of any 'shoot' from Lightroom into a DNG then store in Dropbox (I usually take upto 500 pictures in a day - which is >12G of files, so it's not practical to store everything).

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I finally got around to creating a drop box account after seeing this thread. Its been one of those things on my to do list for a while. I have to say it will come in handy if I forget to bring some stuff from school and in a pinch use it as a flash drive but school computer I would have to do the longer work around for drop box but it would still work.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
I use it to:

1) Sync my own files between portable/desktop. I use my laptop to take notes at volunteer Board meetings, but I like to work on the files on my desktop, and then have them available to the laptop at the next meeting. By setting up the doc folders inside Dropbox, it's seamless - and best of all, mindless. I don't have to "think" about synch the files back and forth, they're just there to be used regardless of where I am - and regardless of whether I'm connected or not.

2) To share common files needed for a committee on I'm on. It was easier to get the members to sign up for Dropbox (and bumped my free space allowance) than a Google Group. Plus, nobody has to change how they work to collaborate on a project. They're just doing what they've always done - saving docs to a folder. A Google Group requires people to remember to use it, to sign in, etc etc. It's not a big learning curve, but it's bigger than using a Dropbox folder. Plus I can share the folder to both my desktop and laptop, and work with the docs anywhere.

3) To send large and/or multiple photo files to people who need to work on them. No need to worry about who has a space limited in-box, managing which files you've attached and which ones you haven't, etc etc It's as easy as copying files to a folder, and then sharing that folder. Or, if you've worked with this person before.... just copying files. You can see at a glance which ones are there. You can see which ones they've worked on. I find it's easier than Send It, because - it's just a folder. And - the sharing between the desktop and laptop works still.

I'm thinking of paying for an upgrade so I can use it as a back up solution too.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I mostly use it to sync between my iPad and computer. I've also used the public folder to share a file when I was having some problems with an attachment going through on my email.

Hydrocity

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2010
Im trying to use it for a project I am doing with a friend. We need to exchange videos that size around 800mb and uploading to dropbox takes like 7-10 hours :(

Any way I can fix this?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Im trying to use it for a project I am doing with a friend. We need to exchange videos that size around 800mb and uploading to dropbox takes like 7-10 hours

Any way I can fix this?

You're limited by your internet connection. The only way to make it go faster is to get a faster internet connection.

Cancelled
May 21, 2009
The fastest home, non-commercial ISP upstream speed I've heard of is 30-35Mbps via FIOS.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I love DropBox, but the one thing I really don't like is the pricing.

Currently, I don't pay. I've only had Dropbox for a week, and out of curiosity, I checked the prices today. I figured there would be a large number of pricing tiers, as options are good. Instead, its either I get a 2 GB account for free, or I pay $100 per year and get far 50 GB. Why not offer smaller packages, like 10 GB for $30-40? Going from "free" to $100/year is too big, IMO.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I love DropBox, but the one thing I really don't like is the pricing.

Currently, I don't pay. I've only had Dropbox for a week, and out of curiosity, I checked the prices today. I figured there would be a large number of pricing tiers, as options are good. Instead, its either I get a 2 GB account for free, or I pay $100 per year and get far 50 GB. Why not offer smaller packages, like 10 GB for $30-40? Going from "free" to $100/year is too big, IMO.

if you know what you are doing its quite easy to get 18.5GB (iirc) for free ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.