Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Old Jan 31, 2011, 11:03 PM   #1
QuarterSwede
macrumors 604

Post [HOW TO] DIY iPhone 4 Swivel Car Mount

YouTube video

Sure it’s nothing to look at, as I haven't spray painted it yet, but I first decided to make my own iPhone 4 swivel car mount when I looked at what everyone considered to be the best mount out there. Apparently that was the ProClip system. I checked out their site and system and realized that on the low end I would be spending $60. That’s a wee bit expensive for someone who is currently unemployed so I decided to make my own based on their mount (PDF). Although this guide is for a 2000 Dodge Neon the basics could be applied to most of their mounts. The swivel and holder should work will any mount you can make.

These are all materials that I had on hand so it cost me nothing but my time to make this. I'm sure other materials could be substituted. What really makes this work cheaply is using a Teflon Tape dispenser as a swivel. They should be under a $1 at most home centers

Materials List:

1. Teflon Tape Container
2. Door Latch Plug (I'm not sure what it's really called. It came with an exterior door knob kit)
3. Command Strips (4) (or thin doubled sided foam tape)
4. Package Tape (Any thicker tape should do)
5. Xacto Knife
6. Straight Edge
7. OtterBox Commuter outer shell for iPhone 3G or 3GS
8. Heavy Duty Scissors
9. 2 ply Cardboard
10. Official iPhone 4 Bumper (Not Pictured)

Step 1: Cut Cardboard into one tall rectangle (pictured right) and one square (pictured left). I eyed the length of the mount and have no exact measurements. To figure out a good angle to mount I cut the rectangle, bent it where I thought it should bend (next step) and held the iPhone to the mount. This allowed me to see where any reflections would be. I wanted the mount's angle to be such that I had no reflections from the sun roof or the back windshield when driving.

Step 2: Bend cardboard where pictured above along arrows using straight edge. These are rough mask but they should get you in the ballpark. The perfect spot will depend on your height.

Step 3: Put Door Latch Plug into Teflon Tape Container. It does take some force. I just used my palm.

Regarding the Teflon Tape Container: I had three on hand and only one took just the right amount of force to move yet wouldn’t move on it’s own. This allows it to stay horizonal when in landscape and to not wiggle right and left when driving.

Step 4: Put Package Tape on top of Door Latch Plug to bridge the hold and create something for the Command Strips to adhere to.

Step 5: Trim Command Strips to fit Door Latch Plug with Xacto knife

Step 6: Trim Otterbox outer shell right above the protruding sides to create the Holder. You can use an Xacto knife but I went with my Cutco kitchen shears to make quick and accurate work of it. Then file down top edge if desired.

Step 7: Attach Swivel to Holder. If you’ll be using cables to connect to the iPhone’s dock connector then mount the Swivel closer to the bottom of the Holder so it will stay horizontal in when in landscape.

Step 8: Cut another piece of cardboard so that it fits like so. This will create an angled platform that will face the driver.

Step 9: Cut out a flap like so on either side

Step 10: Attach Angle piece with Packaging Tape

Step 11: Trim Command Strips to fit angled piece and mount Swivel.

Step 12: Attach Command Strips to top of long rectangle, then mount it to the underside of the dashboard. It’s hard to see here but the bottom of the cardboard mount goes into the top of the center stack.

I've been using this setup for a few weeks now and driven over all types of bumpy terrain and it works better than I had hoped. The only thing left to do is spray paint it black.

"Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world." -- Martin Luther
QuarterSwede is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2011, 11:15 PM   #2
andrewmon
macrumors newbie

[QUOTE=QuarterSwede;11822448]

Could I ask what case this is? If I am correct it is the Speck Candyshell?
andrewmon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2011, 11:16 PM   #3
QuarterSwede
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmon View Post
Could I ask what case this is? If I am correct it is the Speck Candyshell?
It's the official Apple bumper.

"Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world." -- Martin Luther
Old Feb 1, 2011, 04:42 PM   #4
SanFranKyle
macrumors regular

nothing like securing your 200 (or 500) dollar phone to your dash with a bunch of glued together garbage hahaha

some of you people just need to up and spend the 50 bucks on the right stuff.
SanFranKyle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 07:52 PM   #5
QuarterSwede
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFranKyle View Post
nothing like securing your 200 (or 500) dollar phone to your dash with a bunch of glued together garbage hahaha

Apparently you didn't notice that I am unemployed. I'm not about to spend $50 on a mount (on the cheap end) when I can make one for free. Also, this thing is surprisingly stable. It doesn't rattle around at all. Plus it was fun to make. *raspberry*

Last edited by QuarterSwede; Mar 8, 2011 at 01:22 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old Feb 1, 2011, 09:43 PM   #6
ac921ol
macrumors regular

Great job, nice pictures of the process man.
ac921ol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 09:48 PM   #7
psyduckiee
macrumors regular

Quote:

LOL I definitely say I have to agree. Most people won't realize until the mount cracks or falls off and the phone goes flying in the car.
psyduckiee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 10:59 PM   #8
barkingDog
macrumors regular

Thanks for taking the time to do a write up and supply step-by-step pix.

I can appreciate this fact in itself - the time involved in a DIY writeup isn't unsubstantial. I've done some of these DIY posts on other forums, and they're certainly more useful than just the result.

Not sure what's up with some of the remarks above; the OP had an idea and took the time to share it. If it doesn't suit someone -- either:

• Modify the process to your liking
  • Ignore the DIY method and buy a pre-made version
  • Or just step back and 'let be'.

Wait, the last suggestion would be paramount to me telling you what/how to post; so ignore it.
barkingDog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2011, 01:21 PM   #9
QuarterSwede
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyduckiee View Post
LOL I definitely say I have to agree. Most people won't realize until the mount cracks or falls off and the phone goes flying in the car.
I just wanted to chime in and say, over a month later and it's still rock solid.

You underestimate the stickiness of the command strip. I work in retail and have been around plenty of foam tape (what the command strips basically are) and can attest to how adhesive they are. Generally the foam rips apart before the glue gives.

Old Mar 7, 2011, 03:29 PM   #10
kicko
macrumors 65816

if you look over at sw-box.com they have many types of mounts for under $10, most are $5. I cannot speak for the quality but one of them might be ok. Even if they sucked it could be a starting point and may be further modified to become great!

I'm going to order one soon, one of these days. I will let you know when i get it.
kicko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2011, 04:42 PM   #11
MattZani
macrumors 68020

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/dpl-win...r-iphone-11689

Works great, little rattly, secure but bumpy, fine for displaying music etc though.

Just have to take the case off each time :/
Old Mar 8, 2011, 01:03 PM   #12
kicko
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattZani View Post
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/dpl-win...r-iphone-11689

Works great, little rattly, secure but bumpy, fine for displaying music etc though.

Just have to take the case off each time :/
looks the same as the one on sw-box
kicko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2011, 01:08 PM   #13
Capt Underpants
macrumors 68030

Quote:

There was a time in the world when do-it-yourself skills were necessary to survive. You should have some respect for people who choose not to purchase everything they own. It's impressive.

Great job OP. I wish I was half a handy as you.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 02:51 PM   #14
vincenz
macrumors 601

Gotta hand it to you for the effort!
vincenz is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Tags
bumper, how to, iphone 4