Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Hi

Just ordered Bioshock for my Mac, and yes I know I should really play it with mouse/keyboard, but sometimes
I just want to sit back and be lazy so was wondering if they have gotten the PS3 controller to work with it yet ?

I know it was spoken about to be done sometime back.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Hi

Just ordered Bioshock for my Mac, and yes I know I should really play it with mouse/keyboard, but sometimes
I just want to sit back and be lazy so was wondering if they have gotten the PS3 controller to work with it yet ?

I know it was spoken about to be done sometime back.

Not yet

Edwin

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Sorry to revive an old thread... I bought Bioshock 1 and 2 today. I successfully hooked my PS3 controller up to OS X (Mountain Lion), but it doesn't seem to do anything in Bioshock... Any help? Thanks!

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I have Bioshock 1....It's really designed to be played with the KB and mouse, and I find that works fine for me....moving around is easy, and the buttons and keys can be customised as in most games.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Sorry to revive an old thread... I bought Bioshock 1 and 2 today. I successfully hooked my PS3 controller up to OS X (Mountain Lion), but it doesn't seem to do anything in Bioshock... Any help? Thanks!

BioShock 1 - You need to enable pads in the menus first. It might say 360 pad in the menu but it will activate all pads.

BioShock 2 - The pad only works in game however it does not work on the menu system due to the fact the PC did not support gamepads at all, so we had to add it in as a Mac extra.

Edwin

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
If it' anything like Bioshock on the PC good luck getting it to run at all. Shocking they they're till charging €15 for a game which doesn't work at all.

Both games work fine on the Mac, we support them both and both games (unlike the PC) support multiple gamepads in game although with BioShock 2 it is limited to in level only and not the menu system as the PC version had no pad support at all.

Edwin

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Try Joystick mapper on the App store, it normally works a treat for games that don't have controller support.

MAXED OUT MID 2012 15" RETINA MACBOOK PRO

Please don't use this app with Feral games without contacting Feral first, our games have controller support (over 100 pads at last count) and installing apps like this will cause side effects and poor experience if used with a supported pad.

Cheers,

Edwin

lcmarquard

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2013
Getting Bioshock to recognize the controller

Any advice on getting Bioshock to recognize a gamepad (XBox360) that the computer recognizes? The game won't let me switch the pad on.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Any advice on getting Bioshock to recognize a gamepad (XBox360) that the computer recognizes? The game won't let me switch the pad on.

It needs to be recognised by the 360 drivers (Tattiebogle) not just USB. Have you installed the drivers? If the drivers are installed and pickup the gamepad then the game will pick them up as well.

At last count I have helped get over 100 gamepads wot work with Feral titles including the 360 and PS3 pads.

Edwin

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
May I just say that my PS3 controller has been working great with Bioshock!
Just some feedback...
- I'm not sure why the option in bioshock says "enable xbox 360 gamepad" ~ i get it that it's probably the most common, but it's confusing.
- I wish I didn't have to re-enable it every time.
- I wish the buttons on the screen were ps3 buttons

My complaints are MINOR, though. I'm totally loving the game!

And for the person who said it's designed to be played w/ KB + mouse, I mean it's really up to the player. Bioshock was a huge seller on PS3 + XBOX, and they weren't playing w/ KB + Mouse. My major complaint is that my MacBook Pro gets HOT when playing games... and so if i'm using KB + mouse, it feels like my fingers are on a furnace. The PS3 controller is great - I play on the airplane all the time!

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Thanks for the feedback, glad you are enjoying the game, here are a few answers to your points to give you some background. :)

Just some feedback...
- I'm not sure why the option in Bioshock says "enable xbox 360 gamepad" ~ i get it that it's probably the most common, but it's confusing.

The PC only supports the 360 pad and the menu system is hard coded and stores in a binary format inside a pre built data pack, it was not possible to over-ride it without risking unwanted side effects.

We do support about 100+ more gamepads than the PC version so that's something ;)

You shouldn't have to however as the PS3 pad is bluetooth sometimes Apple's BT stack will give the device a different ID to the game meaning the game cannot tell it is the same pad as before so cannot keep it enabled in game. 99% of pads it does remember the setting. As this is an OS issue it's hard to fix inside the game. Newer games we do have a few more tricks to attempt this but working around OS issues can be tricky.

That would require access to the PS3 assets and rebuilding the data which as mentioned above is not feasible for one gamepad.

My major complaint is that my MacBook Pro gets HOT when playing games... and so if i'm using KB + mouse, it feels like my fingers are on a furnace. The PS3 controller is great - I play on the airplane all the time!

I'd contact Apple about that if not us :) The game uses the CPU and GPU to the maximum and that causes the Mac to heat up, it's to be expected if you have a game that has been optimised for the Mac and uses multi threading to use all the cores available. :)

Edwin

emilyd

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2014
Just some feedback...
- I'm not sure why the option in bioshock says "enable xbox 360 gamepad" ~ i get it that it's probably the most common, but it's confusing.

And for the person who said it's designed to be played w/ KB + mouse, I mean it's really up to the player. Bioshock was a huge seller on PS3 + XBOX, and they weren't playing w/ KB + Mouse. My major complaint is that my MacBook Pro gets HOT when playing games... and so if i'm using KB + mouse, it feels like my fingers are on a furnace. The PS3 controller is great - I play on the airplane all the time!

hey, made an account just to reply to this! i just installed bioshock on my macbook air and was previously using my ps3 controller successfully with an n64 emulator... how in the world did you get it to work with bioshock? ive been trying everything i can think of/look up on google with no luck.

a step-by-step detail would be amazing!!! and extremely appreciated! thanks!

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
hey, made an account just to reply to this! i just installed bioshock on my macbook air and was previously using my ps3 controller successfully with an n64 emulator... how in the world did you get it to work with bioshock? ive been trying everything i can think of/look up on google with no luck.

a step-by-step detail would be amazing!!! and extremely appreciated! thanks!

1. Get the PS3 pad working/paired on the Mac via bluetooth or USB cable.
2. Make sure you have the latest version of BioShock 1 installed 1.1.x or later
3. Make sure you enable "use 360 controller" in the options menu.
4. Play the game using the controller :)

Simples!

Edwin

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
There's something I found using the PS4 dualshock in Mavericks that might also be relevant to the PS3 controller.

The first time I use the controller in a game, it needs to be paired and connected via bluetooth but it also needs to be connected via USB cable. I spent an enjoyable afternoon tearing my hair out over that!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.