Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Great Boony

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
I work for a company that does a lot of work for Apple, not sure if anyone will believe me as there seems to be a lot of WUM's on here... But I'll tell you anyway.

I've been informed that there will be no hardware updates to the iPhone this year and the iPhone 5 will launch in the summer of 2012.

Apple want to do a universal launch for the next iPhone and due to the release of the Verizon iPhone, and they think the iPhone 4 is a strong product, they will wait until 2012.

The white iPhone 4 will come out this summer.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Okay thank you for the information. Its nice that you are a genuine informant and not some sad lonely bored loser spreading mis-information.

Please supply any other above top secret information you may have.

Kthnxbye :D

iPhoneCollector

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2010
Home
I work at apple right next to steve jobs. While he was on the toilet i secretly read his emails to tim cook he said that he will ship the next iphone with android and that ne next macbook pro will have no physical kayboard but touch surface which is simipar to the keyboard in the ipad. But the way the computer steve had had ubuntu istalled on it. This is of cource all real information and i wich you wont leak it anywere

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
I actually think that externally, the Verizon model is the iPhone 5, but I see the internals and the iOS getting upgraded this summer.

Karnivore

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
I find it hard to believe. The competition is heating up quickly and Apple will be a fool not to reposnd accordingly. Since AT&T lost exclusivity they'll be pulling all stops and releasing the best Android phones to compete with Verizon. For proof look no further then Moto Atrix which handily beats iPhone 4 in just about evey category.

unknown0

macrumors member
May 16, 2010
I could see Apple making internal changes (fix notifications and other changes) this summer. But it would make sense to not release the Iphone 5 this summer. The Iphone 4 is a great product and with some internal updates can be made even better. Let's face it there isn't an app I can think of that NEEDS a dual core processor or something to run, everything is running smoothly with the current hardware.

Also, why would Apple release the white Iphone 4 so late in the game. Rumor has it coming out near the end of February. So it would not make sense to have the Iphone 5 come out 4/5 months later.

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
Woz came to me in a dream as a bearded, bespectacled centaur. He had a shiny white polycarbonate bow and a quiver full of CNC-milled aluminum arrows. I was knee-deep fly-fishing for meatballs in a river of pomodoro sauce when I heard him approach.

He spoke with a bellow that was both geeky and frightening. "YOU THERE, STANDING IN THE RIVER. DO YOU KNOW OF THE IPHONE?"

"Of course, I've owned one of each," I said.

"WELL THERE WILL BE A NEW ONE THIS SUMMER, AS WITH ALL SUMMERS BEFORE. GO FORTH AND SHARE THE WORD WITH THE BELIEVERS."

"Thanks, Mr. Woz," I said, "I'll do that." And then I hooked a nice 5-lb ground veal meatball.

So, I don't think this was a random premonition. Can we put this on page 1 please?

charliecc

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
What utter baloney. The Verizon launch is early enough for them to sell stacks of iPhone 4s. The iPhone 5 won't be out until June/July, giving them over 5 months to shift a shed load.

There's no way apple can risk not releasing a new phone, too many people would jump ship to android if no new iPhone came out.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
not sure if anyone will believe me

No, not until you present your "proof".

Keeping the same model on the market for 24 months with just the addition of a new colour would be stupid with Android phones already outselling the iPhone 2:1.

Do you think they would have sold 16 million iPhones last quarter if the 3GS was still the current model?

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
There is no way that Apple will give up millions and not release an updated iPhone this year.

They could give it a minor update (new colors, new OS, protected glass, antenna improvements etc.) and sell millions of these things. They have no reason whatsoever to sit and do nothing. There is too much competition and too much money to be had. There is no a single business reason to not offer a new model. Apple is a public business and has to please it's stockholders and not just some customers that don't want an upgrade. No one is forced to upgrade!! :confused:

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
this doesnt make sense for a number of reasons.

- namely the first reason, what about the millions of people who are expecting an iPhone 5 this summer

- secondly, what about the millions of people whos 2 year contracts will be up this summer (me included), and are wanting to get the iPhone 5 as an upgrade? personally i wouldnt want to be a year late to the party if i was a 3G owner and suffer with an iPhone 4 knowing it had already been out for a year.....

i am bookmarking this thread to either

a) laugh at you if you are wrong

b) admit defeat and congratulate you

we shall see!

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
I can believe that they may decide to wait until next year for a new iPhone on Verizon.
I can believe that they could possibly alter their normal June release date by a couple of months or so.
I cannot believe for a second that they will not release a new iPhone this year!

If there were no other competition in the market, then perhaps they could get away with this. But with Android flooding the market with phones of all shapes and sizes, HP/Palm getting ready to jump back into the market, Microsoft trying hard to reinvent itself, Blackberry finally waking up, and Nokia getting ready to announce a shift in software (perhaps adopting Android as well)..... there is NO way Apple will wait until next year to release a new phone.

The iPhone is Apple's bread and butter now. It's their main platform, despite the introduction of the iPad and continued increases in Mac sales. The iPhone is their flagship device and they WILL release a new one this year. It may be an incremental update or it may be a major revision, but it will happen.

vocabdude

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2011
I work for a company that does a lot of work for Apple, not sure if anyone will believe me as there seems to be a lot of WUM's on here... But I'll tell you anyway.

I've been informed that there will be no hardware updates to the iPhone this year and the iPhone 5 will launch in the summer of 2012.

Apple want to do a universal launch for the next iPhone and due to the release of the Verizon iPhone, and they think the iPhone 4 is a strong product, they will wait until 2012.

The white iPhone 4 will come out this summer.

lol next thing you're going to say is that the iPhone 5 will use android apps :p

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England

Have you got a new job because I don't believe working in an Apple Store gives you access to Apple's inner secrets?

I work in the Apple Store in Brighton England, and we've just had a staff meeting that we are having a Shopping Event on the 26th.

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=11470284

BriChi

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
maybe thats why Steve took a leave now, no new **** to announce anytime soon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.