Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Feb 1, 2011, 10:35 AM   #1
MrMister111
macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have an aTV 1 with ATV Flash on, purely for the airplay and NAS and USB support. All my movies are MP4 iTunes compatible anyway.

So thinking of getting an aTV 2, I know ATV flash is progressing but will I be able to do this..as I know aTV 2 is streaming only now.

I basically want to be able to stream from a NAS on my network. As I say all my video files are in MP4 iTunes compatible. How will it show on aTV 2? ie will it show under the computers tab if streaming from a NAS?

I basically want it as factory default but with NAS streaming so I don't need my iMac running on all the time.
MrMister111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 12:28 PM   #2
rusty2192
macrumors 6502a

I don't believe ATV Flash does thus for the ATV2 yet, but I could be wrong. XBMC, which was just released for the ATV2 does stream directly from an NAS. There are threads all over here and on XBMC's site explaining how to set it all up.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 04:00 PM   #3
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMister111 View Post
I basically want to be able to stream from a NAS on my network. As I say all my video files are in MP4 iTunes compatible. How will it show on aTV 2? ie will it show under the computers tab if streaming from a NAS?

I basically want it as factory default but with NAS streaming so I don't need my iMac running on all the time.
You still need a running computer to manage the iTunes library. The ATV will not connect directly to the media on a NAS.

You can connect the ATV to the iMac, and still allow the music/video to reside on a NAS (with the iTunes library on the Mac pointing to it), but it won't work without the computer.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 06:29 AM   #4
MrMister111
macrumors 65816

Ah I see, so even if I Jailbreak the aTV 2 then I wont be able to stream as it needs a direct connection from iTunes on a Mac to stream from a NAS.

I keep my video on my NAS as its too large for internal HDD on my iMac, and just "pointed" to within iTunes.

I was hoping that I could use an ATV Flash'ed aTV 2 to be able to go direct from a NAS to aTV 2.

This works for me with aTv 1 as I sync, so I dont need imac running iTunes on al the time.
MrMister111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2011, 04:56 PM   #5
Yorch82
macrumors newbie

Thumbs up Maybe now it's too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMister111 View Post
Ah I see, so even if I Jailbreak the aTV 2 then I wont be able to stream as it needs a direct connection from iTunes on a Mac to stream from a NAS.

I keep my video on my NAS as its too large for internal HDD on my iMac, and just "pointed" to within iTunes.

I was hoping that I could use an ATV Flash'ed aTV 2 to be able to go direct from a NAS to aTV 2.

This works for me with aTv 1 as I sync, so I dont need imac running iTunes on al the time.
MrMister111 It is completely possible to stream directly from your NAS to the ATV2 without having the computer on.
You just need to jailbreake it and install aTV Flash (black) and then instal the XBMC or with the integrated media player that comes with the aTV Flash.
I did it and now I have in my home network connected thru an airport extreme base station 2 hard drives (one of 2tb and the oher with 3tb) and they are working perfectly.
aTV Flash is really great.
Yorch82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 04:03 AM   #6
Fatal1ty
macrumors newbie

Bottlenecking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorch82 View Post
MrMister111 It is completely possible to stream directly from your NAS to the ATV2 without having the computer on.
You just need to jailbreake it and install aTV Flash (black) and then instal the XBMC or with the integrated media player that comes with the aTV Flash.
I did it and now I have in my home network connected thru an airport extreme base station 2 hard drives (one of 2tb and the oher with 3tb) and they are working perfectly.
I know this is slightly off topic, but with this setup do you experience any stuttering or otherwise poor performance? I had concerns with using USB Hard Drives with an Airport Extreme over WI-FI for high bitrate video on the ATV2.
2G TV
Fatal1ty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 04:46 AM   #7
GTJ
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorch82 View Post
When doing this are you able to stream 720p mkv's or is it only Atv accepted formats? I thought that for xbmc or plex to work directly the server had to be running on the nas if a computer was off.
GTJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2011, 05:08 PM   #8
gimmeiphone
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtj View Post
when doing this are you able to stream 720p mkv's or is it only atv accepted formats? I thought that for xbmc or plex to work directly the server had to be running on the nas if a computer was off.
+1
gimmeiphone is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater