Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Feb 1, 2011, 04:59 PM   #1
Jethryn Freyman
macrumors 68020

iTunes: How do I randomise a playlist?

I've got a playlist in iTunes which I'm going to burn to a CD. I would like to be able to have it randomly shuffled up for me. The 'shuffle" function in iTunes isn't the right thing, it just plays songs in a random order instead of actually randomly moving the songs around in the actual playlist. Any help would be very much appreciated
Jethryn Freyman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 05:04 PM   #2
Jethryn Freyman
macrumors 68020

OK, found a fairly simple solution. Not ideal but it still works.

I created the playlist I wanted, then made a smart playlist and told it to match all songs that were equal to the playlist that I had made in the first place.

Then I told it to limit it to X amount of songs selected by random. Once that was done, the smart playlist was full of my songs randomly ordered. I could also then rearrange songs myself.
Jethryn Freyman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 05:42 PM   #3
phairphan
macrumors 6502

You can randomize and reorder songs in a regular playlist. Just make sure to sort by playlist number (usually the left-most column) which will order the songs by the order in which they were added to the playlist, then toggle the shuffle "button" at the bottom. Each toggle on and off mixes them up again. You can also reorder by dragging. The trick is making sure to sort by track number to enable these options.

Last edited by phairphan; Feb 1, 2011 at 05:49 PM.
phairphan is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Tags
itunes, playlist, randomise, randomize, shuffle