Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
I've got a playlist in iTunes which I'm going to burn to a CD. I would like to be able to have it randomly shuffled up for me. The 'shuffle" function in iTunes isn't the right thing, it just plays songs in a random order instead of actually randomly moving the songs around in the actual playlist. Any help would be very much appreciated :)

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
OK, found a fairly simple solution. Not ideal but it still works.

I created the playlist I wanted, then made a smart playlist and told it to match all songs that were equal to the playlist that I had made in the first place.

Then I told it to limit it to X amount of songs selected by random. Once that was done, the smart playlist was full of my songs randomly ordered. I could also then rearrange songs myself.

phairphan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Reject Beach
You can randomize and reorder songs in a regular playlist. Just make sure to sort by playlist number (usually the left-most column) which will order the songs by the order in which they were added to the playlist, then toggle the shuffle "button" at the bottom. Each toggle on and off mixes them up again. You can also reorder by dragging. The trick is making sure to sort by track number to enable these options.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.