Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 1, 2011, 05:14 PM   #1
SeanAppleDude
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Looking to Share a Netflix Account

Hey guys,

Why the hell doesn’t Netflix accept PayPal?!?!?

I was just wondering if anybody wanted to share their Netlfix account with me. I just want to be able to watch the instant movies online, and am not looking to get DVDs in the mail. I would be willing to pay $4 per month.

Thanks!
__________________
twitter
My Website
Macbook Pro 13" 2.26 Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 160 GB HDD
SeanAppleDude is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 05:26 PM   #2
karsten
macrumors 6502a
 
karsten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanAppleDude View Post
Hey guys,

Why the hell doesn’t Netflix accept PayPal?!?!?

I was just wondering if anybody wanted to share their Netlfix account with me. I just want to be able to watch the instant movies online, and am not looking to get DVDs in the mail. I would be willing to pay $4 per month.

Thanks!
they probably don't want the unreliability of paypal to deal with. cutting off people's accounts and such
karsten is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 09:25 PM   #3
cuestakid
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Fran
I will mention this simply because I had a similar dilemma(I have a PS3 and my parents just got a wifi blu-ray with netflix) and contacted netflix to ask - You can have up to 5 or 6 devices tied to a single Netflix account for streaming-that is you could, theoretically, have your mac, pc, PS3, xbox and iPad all set-up for streaming-keep in mind that you could only have one Cue.


So if you can find someone wiling to share their cue with you that may be easier
__________________
Mac Mini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7,16GB RAM, 1TB HD Apple TV Hockey PuckiPhone 5S 32GB Verizon iPad3 WiFi 32GBSeagate ThunderboltDell U2711
cuestakid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:05 PM   #4
petebkrdude
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Really?!?

A Netflix prepaid card can be found at any:
Major grocery store
Major gas station
Major hardware chains
Walmart
Kmart
Khols
Target
Best Buy
Home Depot
...
..
.
petebkrdude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:26 PM   #5
Shanewilliams
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by petebkrdude View Post
A Netflix prepaid card can be found at any:
Major grocery store
Major gas station
Major hardware chains
Walmart
Kmart
Khols
Target
Best Buy
Home Depot
...
..
.
Im not sure what the OP issue is exactly other then not being able to use paypal, but if its lack of a credit or debit card....a prepaid netflix card will be useless! Even with a prepaid card a credit card is still required to be on file unless something has changed recently.
__________________
iPhone 6, iPad Air, Apple TV 2's everywhere, 2014 15" rMBP 2.5/16/512
Shanewilliams is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:45 PM   #6
Cartaphilus
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
No one outside your household is permitted to use your streaming Netflix subscription, as set out in the Netflix licensing agreement:

3.1 Content. Title and intellectual property rights in and to any content displayed by or accessed through the Software belongs to the respective content owner. Such content is protected by copyright or other intellectual property laws and treaties, and is subject to terms of use of the third party providing such content. Apart from your right to view the third-party content, this License Agreement does not grant you the right to copy, distribute, prepare derivative works, publicly display, or make other use of such content. You are prohibited from engaging in or facilitating the unauthorized P2P file-sharing of third-party content, such as the unauthorized posting, making available, uploading, downloading or other distribution of such third-party content.

Further:

Unless otherwise specified, the Netflix service, and any content viewed through our service, are for your personal and non-commercial use only and we grant you a limited, non exclusive, non transferable, license to access the Netflix service for that purpose.

I'm sure a board with the integrity of MacRumors would not appreciate their servers being used to facilitate a violation of intellectual property rights. And living in Philadelphia I doubt you'd want to have to travel to California where the Netflix agreement allows them to sue you either in Federal or state court. If you fail to appear (in person, or by a California lawyer you hire), a default judgement will likely be rendered against you which can be executed in Pennsylvania to levy on your bank accounts, real or personal property, or to garnish your wages, if any.

For a lousy four bucks more a month you can avoid these risks, and in the bargain avoid making yourself a thief. You may have heard that Santa Clara County, where you will have consented to personal jurisdiction, doesn't look kindly on people who steal from tech companies, and, frankly, neither do I.

Last edited by Cartaphilus; Feb 2, 2011 at 12:07 AM.
Cartaphilus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:57 PM   #7
petebkrdude
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
CC or gift

Check out these links...
http://www.netflix.com/Gift?gctrkid=67041862

http://www.netflix.com/TermsOfUse#membership

No cc is required unless you opt for a DVD/BluRay account.
petebkrdude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 12:02 AM   #8
petebkrdude
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Cc or not

Or go to Walmart and purchase a prepaid Visa and use it....
There are many options for those who wish it.
petebkrdude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 09:59 PM   #9
SeanAppleDude
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Thanks for the help guys.

I actually figured out that you can add PayPal as payment method.
Crazy right?! Did they just add this feature, because I could never find it?
__________________
twitter
My Website
Macbook Pro 13" 2.26 Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 160 GB HDD
SeanAppleDude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:29 PM   #10
BigYellow
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartaphilus View Post
No one outside your household is permitted to use your streaming Netflix subscription, as set out in the Netflix licensing agreement:

3.1 Content. Title and intellectual property rights in and to any content displayed by or accessed through the Software belongs to the respective content owner. Such content is protected by copyright or other intellectual property laws and treaties, and is subject to terms of use of the third party providing such content. Apart from your right to view the third-party content, this License Agreement does not grant you the right to copy, distribute, prepare derivative works, publicly display, or make other use of such content. You are prohibited from engaging in or facilitating the unauthorized P2P file-sharing of third-party content, such as the unauthorized posting, making available, uploading, downloading or other distribution of such third-party content.

Further:

Unless otherwise specified, the Netflix service, and any content viewed through our service, are for your personal and non-commercial use only and we grant you a limited, non exclusive, non transferable, license to access the Netflix service for that purpose.

I'm sure a board with the integrity of MacRumors would not appreciate their servers being used to facilitate a violation of intellectual property rights. And living in Philadelphia I doubt you'd want to have to travel to California where the Netflix agreement allows them to sue you either in Federal or state court. If you fail to appear (in person, or by a California lawyer you hire), a default judgement will likely be rendered against you which can be executed in Pennsylvania to levy on your bank accounts, real or personal property, or to garnish your wages, if any.

For a lousy four bucks more a month you can avoid these risks, and in the bargain avoid making yourself a thief. You may have heard that Santa Clara County, where you will have consented to personal jurisdiction, doesn't look kindly on people who steal from tech companies, and, frankly, neither do I.
Waaaaaow settle down there cowboy! Did someone find **** in their cheerios this morning?

And OP, yes I believe that's a new thing.
BigYellow is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beware: Offers to "Share" Your Cable Account robbieduncan Apple TV and Home Theater 10 Oct 4, 2014 06:09 PM
My air video on netflix doesn't look good as iPad 2 netflix hthomas MacBook Air 2 Aug 15, 2013 12:19 PM
Is it me or I cannot photo stream share with friends over iCloud account! aziatiklover iOS 6 7 Sep 20, 2012 12:54 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:32 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC