Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skihigh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2011
OK, I guess I have to admit it...I dropped my MacBook. Not from an tall height, but a good 4.5 feet. Since that, well it's been acting a little funny.
It is a Macbook 2.2ghz white. Immediately after, I opened the computer to check for a broken screen, no broken screen. When I opened the computer to start working on it, it was extremely slow.

I restarted it and it got stuck on the blue screen (screen after the gray screen). I had to enter it in Safe-Mode. It went through but was VERRY slow again. Rebooted it and it opened up into regular mode, and yes VERRY slow.

I was doing some reading and read that it might possibly be that the hard drive is failing. Could that possibly be the issue? I did NOT have the computer backed up (stupid me, considering the computer is truly worth its weight in gold). Is it still possible for me to back this baby up?

I just connected an external drive and turned on Time Machine. (i've never used Time Machine before, is that going to be an issue?) It seems to be backing it up through there, but I'm worried if it is going to get stuck or stop in the middle of the backup. It is backing it though, surely but slowly.

And just one final question- if the backup goes through...and then the computer's hard drive dies, will I be able to just hook up the backup and be able to have everything I had before on another mac or this macbook with a new hd?

THANK YOU :)

upinflames900

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
If the backup finishes then you can restore your computer's state on any mac... it seems like it is the hard drive that is messed up in my opinion. There are some ways of testing it... but I would back up everything if you can first... then stress the hard drive to see if it will fail... you can check read and write speeds somehow too.

columbiamdbob

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2011
Disk is on its way down ...

OK, I guess I have to admit it...I dropped my MacBook. Not from an tall height, but a good 4.5 feet. Since that, well it's been acting a little funny.
It is a Macbook 2.2ghz white. Immediately after, I opened the computer to check for a broken screen, no broken screen. When I opened the computer to start working on it, it was extremely slow.

I restarted it and it got stuck on the blue screen (screen after the gray screen). I had to enter it in Safe-Mode. It went through but was VERRY slow again. Rebooted it and it opened up into regular mode, and yes VERRY slow.

I was doing some reading and read that it might possibly be that the hard drive is failing. Could that possibly be the issue? I did NOT have the computer backed up (stupid me, considering the computer is truly worth its weight in gold). Is it still possible for me to back this baby up?

I just connected an external drive and turned on Time Machine. (i've never used Time Machine before, is that going to be an issue?) It seems to be backing it up through there, but I'm worried if it is going to get stuck or stop in the middle of the backup. It is backing it though, surely but slowly.

And just one final question- if the backup goes through...and then the computer's hard drive dies, will I be able to just hook up the backup and be able to have everything I had before on another mac or this macbook with a new hd?

THANK YOU :)

If the backup finishes and the hard drive dies your the luckiest person ever. Similar story but I didn't drop mine it kind of got mad but the system stayed up for a while but the backups couldn't finish -- the computer booted and ran well but backup, disk copy nothing worked -- disk recovery folks could recover anything. I hope you have a backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.