Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

140522-the_daily_icon_reflection.jpg
News Corp. today is holding a media event to launch its tablet-focused news publication, The Daily, which will initially be made available for the iPad. The event is scheduled to kick off at the Guggenheim Museum in New York City at 11:00 AM Eastern Time, or just about 30 minutes from now.

The Daily is offering a live video stream of the introduction on its website, where it has also announced that the application will go live in the App Store at noon Eastern Time, following the event.Watch at 11 a.m. Eastern Time today as News Corporation unveils The Daily, featuring special guest Eddy Cue, vice president of Internet Services from Apple. Check back later today for our full web site. The Daily will be available on the App Store starting at 12 p.m. EST.Eddy Cue, Apple's vice president of Internet Services, will be presenting at the event, presumably to discuss Apple's behind-the-scenes work to develop support for recurring billing to users' iTunes Store accounts. The Daily has been reported to be priced at $0.99 per week, which would be automatically billed directly to users' iTunes Store accounts rather than using separate payment methods.

In addition to The Daily's video stream, we will be updating this article with coverage as the media event unfolds.

Event Updates

- Those present at the event note that the audience is relatively small, possibly due to weather issues in New York City.
- Gizmodo has published purported details on The Daily, confirming many of the rumored details including pricing of $0.99 per week or $39.99 per year.

- Event underway. News Corp. CEO Rupert Murdoch on stage. Thanking Steve Jobs for changing industries and developing the iPad. Welcomes Eddy Cue...we'll hear from him in a few minutes.
- "The iPad demands that we completely re-imagine our craft."
- There is a substantial market of people who do not read traditional newspapers but do consume media and expect it at their fingertips. We're going to bring the magic of newspapers to The Daily, and we must make the business of news gathering and editing viable again.
- The opportunity is enormous, and in the tablet era, there is room for a fresh and new voice.
- We can offer The Daily for only 14 cents per day, bringing a polished news magazine to our readers. The Daily's success will be determined by its utility and originality, and we will work tirelessly toward those goals.
- Congratulations and thank you to our friends at Apple and those involved with putting this project together.
- Introducing The Daily's executive team (Jon Miller, Greg Clayman, Jesse Angelo) to show off the publication.

- Discussing how the iPad allows different methods of telling stories...immersive 360-degree photos, audio, video clips. Showing off a live demo while discussing.
- Navigation utilizes "The Carousel"...tiles represent each story, swipe through like Cover Flow. Various options for auto-play, shuffle stories. Video anchors highlighting top stories, some stories available read aloud. Articles can be shared via Facebook, Twitter, email, etc.
- The Daily can pull in HTML5 content from the web and also link out to external sites. Built-in Twitter feeds can pull in content.
- Apps and games section, sports sections. Showing off Super Bowl feature, options for customizing favorite teams to follow.
- Publishes to iPad each morning, and can update throughout the day with breaking news.
- First two weeks are free courtesy of Verizon.
- Introducing Apple's Eddy Cue.

- "Thrilled to be here". In the last year, the iPad has defined a whole new category of device. Over 15 million iPads sold. Over 9,000 news apps available for iOS devices. Over 200 million news apps have been downloaded so far.
- Rupert has built an amazing team of reporters, editors, and designers, and leveraged News Corp.'s resources to develop something new.
- It's amazing that something of this production value can be done every single day.
- iPad customers can download The Daily today. One-click billing...your choice of $0.99 per week of $39.99 per year.
- We think iPad customers are really going to embrace it.
- Turning it back to Jon Miller for a photo op, and then Q&A.

Q&AQ: How is back content handled? Large filesizes?
A: Angelo: Everything is on the web through our sharing functions. We're working on search and archiving.

Q: When will recurring billing be available to other magazines?
A: Cue: Available today on the iPad, and we have a great relationship with other publishers. There will be an announcement soon.

Q: Advertising?
A: Miller: We're working on some really innovative ways to show off their brands.

Q: Metrics for success?
A: Murdoch: When we're selling millions. Ambitions are very big, but costs are low. So financially, the metric is quite low, but we're looking much bigger than that. We've invested $30 million that will be written off in our latest results. But we'll be running at less than $500,000 a week without subscription and advertising income.

Q: Can you talk about the recent developments regarding shifting content purchases to in app purchases?
A: Cue: You'll here from us soon, but we want customers to be able to get content either from us or from others' sites.

Q: Breaking news element? How do you break in real-time, and how do you decide what's worth breaking in for?
A: Angelo: We have a lot of different ways to handle it. We have tickers, can integrate Twitter feeds, can drop in a new front page whenever we want. But as a consumer I don't like pages that change every five minutes. So there will be a balance.

Q: Political tone of The Daily?
A: Angelo: We believe this a new era, and we want a new brand and a new voice. In terms of our editorial page, we're patriotic. We believe in free ideas, and free people. In terms of specific issues, read our editorial pages. You'll be surprised.

Q: Why focusing on The Daily rather than using an existing brand?
A: Murdoch: The Wall Street Journal was one of the first paid apps to be on the iPad, and it made me excited to pursue this project.

Q: How long do you anticipate exclusive distribution for the iPad? Does this marry News Corp and Apple?
A: Murdoch: As other tablets get established, we will develop the technology to get on them. We expect to be on all the major tablets. This year, and maybe next year, belong to Apple, but that's just a market judgment.

Q: Has Steve Jobs said anything to you in the last few days about the project?
A: Murdoch: He did call me last week and said that he believed the app was really terrific.

Q: Discoverability? Apps aren't indexed on the web, so how will people discover it?
A: Cue: People have downloaded 10 billion apps, so they're not having a hard time discovering these things. Miller: We wanted to make a really great experience

Q: Will stories be available on the Web?
A: Miller: It will be mirrored on the Web, but we expect the main consumption to be through the app. Angelo: You can't do everything you do in the app on the Web. So we'll do what we can on the Web, and we do want to be there.

Q: Will Web content be free?
A: Angelo: No, we don't expect that. If you share a link with someone, they'll be able to see that free of charge, but you won't be able to go to thedaily.com and just browse.

Q: Demographics?
A: Angelo: Our demographic is everybody.

Wrapping up. iPads preloaded with the demo available for attendees to view.

The Daily is now available in the App Store.

Article Link: Live Coverage of Launch of 'The Daily'

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
IMO, the masses are not ready to pay for their daily news. I think they're fighting a long, uphill battle here. They should give it away for at least the first week. Try and get people hooked.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
I will probably try it out with the free trial - but it must be really magical, amazing and unheard off to make me buy a subscription - must be better than the subscription free offers.

Also: Live coverage? Couldn't care less - I will just look for the summary once it's out, no need to sit through live coverage.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I guess nobody here subscribes to any magazines? You can get basically the same info scattered all over the net too...for free.
I see this as a good thing for Apple's iPad. This type of thing will help bring forth more publications offered for Tablet device(s). If built/designed well and with easy to read/scan info and charts/links/video/etc this will be a good move and see how far people are willing to go with news.

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
IMO, the masses are not ready to pay for their daily news. I think they're fighting a long, uphill battle here. They should give it away for at least the first week. Try and get people hooked.

I not only agree but I'd suggest they would be better with a free / ad paid model period. If not then at least a free light version and a paid fuller maybe? There is simply too much free content out there for what at the end of the day is news.

The other problem these kind of products suffer from is they embrace this technology but frequently still think in terms of print ... in that the data is not continuously updated. If I bought this at 11 a.m. and the news changed by 2 p.m. the same day I would expect the article to update, I could be wrong but I seriously doubt this product will do that. I hope it does but I wouldn't bet on it.

mohrt

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2008
Too bad I can't watch the coverage live from my iPad, since it is a FLASH video. The irony.

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
What does this get me that Flipboard doesn't? I have a great mix of feeds that tailor the news to my interests.

Launching a whole new platform for news is cool, and all, but I'm not wowed by the offering. I'll check it out. But I'm coming with some low expectations.

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
I pay for the WSJ, and it is well worth it, as do I for Scientific American, Aviation Week and Space Tech, and Car and Driver. They are all digital for me. So depending on the quality, organization and presentation, I certainly would be game for paying for a high quality, interactive product, not flooded with adds and pop-ups. But I certainly would need to have a demo period to check it out. And I think, depending on content, its price should be no more than $1.00/week.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Breaking news about breaking news. Doesn't this cause some type of antimatter that gobbles up the Universe? :p

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
watch rupert murdoch introduce what will be another one of his disgusting media prducts, NO THANKS!

Get over yourself already. This has been played out to death. This is more or less about the technology and the fact that Newscorp PARTNERED with Apple in developing this. You love Stevie J right??? Well he and Rupert seem to be in a partnership.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Too bad I can't watch the coverage live from my iPad, since it is a FLASH video. The irony.

I'd fire the marketing manager over that. Just inexcusable.

EDIT: You can view it on the iPad. Never mind. :D

Last edited:

hfletcher

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2008
UK
Looks like it's been delayed slightly. The countdown jumped back up again on the video stream. 4 minutes to go, but it's saying 8...

Gen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008

You don't even know what they are about to announce and you're already dismissing them and giving your valuable-opinion?

Boomchukalaka

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2009
Like most people, I'll probably try the free trial of The Daily. I am interested to see what this product, the first of it's kind I believe, designed specifically for a tablet does differently. If I find that the delivery of this content is in some way superior to the websites of newspapers I read on my ipad, I'd consider it.

My biggest fear, since Murdoch is involved with this, is that it'll have the same "fair and balanced" editorial slant as Fox News. In that I have zero interest.

dball4

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2010
Illinois
The same statements

Everyone is stating the same statements like they always do, stating that it is a failure before it is even launched. They said it about the iPhone, and the iPad and look where it's at now. Murdoch only invests in products that he can make a profit out of in 10-20 years, he thinks in the long term and that is what he is doing with this.

franswa za

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
south africa
Get over yourself already. This has been played out to death. This is more or less about the technology and the fact that Newscorp PARTNERED with Apple in developing this. You love Stevie J right??? Well he and Rupert seem to be in a partnership.

strangest, kinky gay setup iHave seen............ who's the daddy then?

:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.