Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 2, 2011, 03:18 PM   #1
spotsphill
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
I jailbroke my ATV2, now what?

I'm brand new to the ATV2 JB scene, and all I've done so far is install XBMC (which is great!). What have you guys done with your modified ATV2s!?
spotsphill is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 12:39 AM   #2
Dobbs2
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

You have plex, nito tv and xbmc for now and that's it.

Last edited by Dobbs2; Feb 3, 2011 at 12:40 AM.
Dobbs2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 04:12 PM   #3
danielsmu
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
There's also "Groovy" a Grooveshark app for jailbroken apple TVs.

(I haven't tried it yet myself as I'm waiting for an untethered apple tv jailbreak.)
__________________
Please wait while we access your AT&T account information.
danielsmu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 04:25 PM   #4
BeachChair
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Now you're done. Enjoy XBMC.
BeachChair is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 09:15 PM   #5
Dobbs2
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsmu View Post
There's also "Groovy" a Grooveshark app for jailbroken apple TVs.

(I haven't tried it yet myself as I'm waiting for an untethered apple tv jailbreak.)
I thought groovy was a plugin when you installed Nito Tv.
Dobbs2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2011, 01:15 PM   #6
keschMoney
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotsphill View Post
I'm brand new to the ATV2 JB scene, and all I've done so far is install XBMC (which is great!). What have you guys done with your modified ATV2s!?
Purchased ATV Flash (Black) from firecore. 20 bucks for the beta program. Comes with Media player that finds shares very quickly, Couch Surfer Pro which is a basic web browser with trackpad support and an iPad user-agent, LastFM, Weather, a better installer, a fast way to install NitoTV, etc. I'm pretty satisfied with ATV Flash. Worth the $20. Media player is a little choppy on stuff streamed from my USB HD connected Airport EXtreme, but it's only like version 0.4. The plus side is, unlike PleX, you don't need any additional software running on your Mac/PC.

Installed PleX, but it's still buggy. Some movies stop playing, and when you go back into the app, your progress is gone. Also the desktop server is slow and unreliable, and not great with tagging media files. This would be so much better if other apps could tap into the PleX services.

Installed Rowmote Server... awesome, works with the iPhone and iPad apps. So much better than the official Apple Remote app.

Installed RemoteHD Server... cool, supports VNC view on the iPad app with overlay buttons for controlling stuff. Works well with Couch Surfer Pro and XBMC. VNC access is quite slow.

Installed BTStack for using a bluetooth keyboard. Rowmote is still more useful.

Installed Main Menu Weather to get the weather forecast on my Top Shelf. Removed the Top Gradient. Very convenient and looks great.

Installed updateBeGone to get rid of those pesky update dialogs from Apple.

Installed netatalk so that I could visually access the ATV's filesystem via Finder, and add support for Folder Actions and Hazel automation from my Mac (auto copy media files, screensaver photos, etc.)

Installed groovy - very happy with it.
keschMoney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2011, 04:01 PM   #7
Che Castro
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: May 2009
Ice******


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x7URWDGI3U
Che Castro is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2011, 09:37 AM   #8
sim667
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsmu View Post
There's also "Groovy" a Grooveshark app for jailbroken apple TVs.

(I haven't tried it yet myself as I'm waiting for an untethered apple tv jailbreak.)
Mines untethered. Probably not the latest firmware though.

There's a new version of plex out, a lot less buggy.
__________________
Mac Pro, Macbook Pro, G4 Powerbook, iPad 4, iPhone 6, 2X TV, Nikon D800, ACSP Trained - Photography and Mac tech
Music and UK festival Blog
sim667 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2011, 09:40 AM   #9
ashman70
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
I JB my ATV2 with Seas0npass, works just fine. Can you install Plex when you already have XBMC installed, will the two conflict at all?
__________________
Iphone 6 64GB, iPad Mini 32GB wifi
2013 iMac 27" 16GB RAM, 1TB fusion drive, Nvidia 780M, 2xDell 23" monitors, 4x3TB Thunderbay IV enclosure.
MacBook Air 13" mid 2014, 128GB, 4GB RAM.
ashman70 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2011, 09:54 AM   #10
OmegaRed1723
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Waste
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashman70 View Post
I JB my ATV2 with Seas0npass, works just fine. Can you install Plex when you already have XBMC installed, will the two conflict at all?
No conflicts and both can be installed concurrently, though depending on how large your media collection is, all the metadata, posters, etc. stored for XBMC can eat up a lot of space on the device. The Plex app has a very small footprint on the Tv2.
OmegaRed1723 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2011, 01:06 PM   #11
S-Man
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston
Send a message via AIM to S-Man
I'm in the same position as the OP. I JB'd the other day, installed NITOTV but don't know what to do next. I also installed XMBC but don't know how to use it. Where do I play movies from? Does PLEX allow for a Hulu app?
S-Man is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2011, 09:17 AM   #12
kjenyg
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotsphill View Post
I'm brand new to the ATV2 JB scene, and all I've done so far is install XBMC (which is great!). What have you guys done with your modified ATV2s!?
Install icefilms (streaming movies,tv shows etc) :http://code.google.com/p/anarchintosh-projects/

Install navi-x (streaming movies, tv-shows etc) :http://website.navi-x.org/downloads.html

Navi-x is less pretty, but more userfirendly imo.

Here`s how to install them:http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title...n_Repositories
kjenyg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2011, 11:23 AM   #13
Dustman
macrumors 65816
 
Dustman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjenyg View Post
Install icefilms (streaming movies,tv shows etc) :http://code.google.com/p/anarchintosh-projects/

Install navi-x (streaming movies, tv-shows etc) :http://website.navi-x.org/downloads.html

Navi-x is less pretty, but more userfirendly imo.

Here`s how to install them:http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title...n_Repositories
Do these work in Canada or is it tied to the US?
__________________
iMac 27" i5 2.8Ghz Mavericks; Dell 5150 P4 3.8Ghz Win2000; Samsung Galaxy S5; ATV2 4.1 J'b; MacBook 2.1Ghz Mountain Lion via MLPostFactor
Dustman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2011, 12:38 PM   #14
Che Castro
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: May 2009
Lets be honest

If you dont download music or movies for free

Jailbreaking the atv2 is not for you

The point of xbmc is to play mkv's 720p & 1080p without dealing with iTunes & mp4 or m4v

Along with add-ons that let you stream movies & tv shows for free


So OP unless your into all the above you wont find it useful to jailbreak



This is not like the iPhone where good Christians can feel good about jailbreaking because they pay for cydia apps


There are no cydia apps to buy on the appletv2
Che Castro is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2011, 05:47 PM   #15
VPrime
macrumors 68000
 
VPrime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: London Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Che Castro View Post
Lets be honest

If you dont download music or movies for free

Jailbreaking the atv2 is not for you

The point of xbmc is to play mkv's 720p & 1080p without dealing with iTunes & mp4 or m4v

Along with add-ons that let you stream movies & tv shows for free


So OP unless your into all the above you wont find it useful to jailbreak



This is not like the iPhone where good Christians can feel good about jailbreaking because they pay for cydia apps


There are no cydia apps to buy on the appletv2
This is oretty wrong. A lot of people rip their physical media and store it on the comouter to stream to the TV. One less DVD, CD what ever to deal with.
The beniofit of dong this with XBMC is that it has a content scraper where it will sort your content find images, ratings and various other information. It is actually quite useful and makes the whole process more enjoyable.

So instead of having to find the correct DVD or blue ray, you can sit comfotably on your couch and browse your library and select a movie or show.
__________________
@MurtazaSaadat
VPrime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2011, 06:27 PM   #16
jamesdmc
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cittagazze
Quote:
Originally Posted by VPrime View Post
This is oretty wrong. A lot of people rip their physical media and store it on the comouter to stream to the TV. One less DVD, CD what ever to deal with.
The beniofit of dong this with XBMC is that it has a content scraper where it will sort your content find images, ratings and various other information. It is actually quite useful and makes the whole process more enjoyable.

So instead of having to find the correct DVD or blue ray, you can sit comfotably on your couch and browse your library and select a movie or show.
This.

I'm taking my macbook pro to the Genius Bar tomorrow for a random shutdown problem. I'm pretty sure I'm going to walk out of the store with an AppleTV in tow for the purpose of streaming my ripped blu ray and TV collection on my mac pro to the TV upstairs (using xbmc or Plex). And that's about all I want it to do. As long as it does this well, it will be worth it for me.
jamesdmc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2011, 09:05 PM   #17
Che Castro
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: May 2009
when keeping it real goes wrong
Che Castro is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
jailbroke iPhone 4 streaming? Jasper84 iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 0 Apr 9, 2013 08:08 PM
iPad: Since I jailbroke, some issues.. firestone12 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 22 Feb 12, 2013 02:20 AM
iPhone: Jailbroke No More :( hakr100 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 4 Oct 11, 2012 03:16 PM
ATV2, Harmony One, + Original ATV2 Remote canuckle Apple TV and Home Theater 1 Sep 25, 2012 12:11 AM
Just received and jailbroke my ATV2! Question about installing plugins. mrat93 Apple TV and Home Theater 5 Jul 19, 2012 09:03 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:18 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC