Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

On the evening before the launch of the Verizon iPhone, the embargo for early review units have been lifted. This early set of reviews provides a look at the early verdict on the Verizon iPhone. Reviews and some highlights are listed here.

Macworld
- "With a few minor variations, it looks, feels, and works just like the AT&T iPhone 4"
- iOS 4.2.6
- Good distance on mobile Hotspot
- "if you’re using the Internet and your phone rings, your Internet connection immediately drops"

TechCrunch
- "This Verizon version of the iPhone 4 seems to have none of the same antenna issues [as the AT&T model]
- Much better with signal / lack of dropped calls than the AT&T model (in San Francisco)
- "the iPhone 4 can give you a solid 4 hours of hotspot/tethering time"

All Things D
- "the Verizon model did much, much better with voice calls"
- "AT&T’s network averaged 46% faster at download speeds and 24% faster at upload speeds."

Article Link: Early Verizon iPhone Reviews

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
In the area where I am AT&T is much faster than Verizon's 3G network.

I average about 3-3.5 mbps down and 1-1.5 up. My VZW mifi will get <1.5 mbps down and up!

To me, data speeds are way more important than an occasional dropped call so I'll be sticking with at&t.

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Engadget said they noticed the same signal loss in bad areas. TechCrunch says it is fixed? What gives!

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
A 12 terabit connection don't mean so much if you have no signal where you live. ;)

I would GLADLY take a 50% speed hit for coverage and no dropped calls...

However - the data OR voice bit - not as easy to swallow.

I shall wait for LTE IP5/6 on Verizon. :)

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Engadget said they noticed the same signal loss in bad areas. TechCrunch says it is fixed? What gives!

You need to re-read Engadget's. They said they saw occasional issues on Verizon, but it was much better than AT&T.

arn

reezer

macrumors member
May 17, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I don't get any dropped calls in Atlanta on my AT&T iPhone4, but occasionally data will switch from 3G to Edge.

I'd like to see the speeds benchmarked in locations other than SF.

Zwopple

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2008
CDMA = better for voice
GSM = better for data

CDMA is a much narrower radio band and hence the range is longer and Verizon has better coverage and less dropped calls because of it.

GSM is a wide band capable of more bandwidth at the cost of less coverage.

It's not surprising that Verizon's network is much slower in the data area. It also extremely sucks that you can't use Data + Voice on CDMA.

The mistake AT&T made was unlimited data plans sadly cellular technology is not like wired technology and there is very limited space on those radio waves.. Verizon will eventually suffer the same problems if they don't adjust their bandwidth plans after this initial offering.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
AT&T might be faster, but it's not faster if you can't even connect!

So how many people will ask for a handout from Apple when they release a 4g LTE iPhone 4g this summer and want to get compensation for buying the older model only 4-5 months before the new one comes out?

How likely is it that the next iPhone will feature 4g LTE? And how likely is it that Verizon would get it right away?

If it doesn't feature 4g technology then I am less likely to switch to Verizon as the speed and simultaneous voice is somewhat important to me. Unless the upgrade is significant in other ways then I might not upgrade my iPhone for the first year ever. This will save money on the termination fee the following year as well. Although when I go home to KC the service on AT&T is terrible with many dropped calls and data dead zones, especially on the Kansas side.

macuzer123

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2010
Haha, I use data in wi-fi most of the time...but I do use data for facebook, email, etc. when I'm away from wi-fi. But dear sweet Verizon "discontinued" their 150MB plan :( That was my soul mate!

fox777

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
USA
- "if you’re using the Internet and your phone rings, your Internet connection immediately drops"

Whahaha...All you Verizon fanboys fail epicly..

1. You are talking to someone on Skype, MSN any other social program and then your iphone rings and you LOSE your call on your laptop... "Verizon dropped call" anyone??
2. 50% SLOWER than AT&T - another epic fail.. I could understand if it would be 5-10% slower but FIFTY? No thanks..

Overall total waste. I am fine with SINGLE bar on ATT in my apartment and can still hear everyone perfectly (and they can hear me as well). The only way I lose signal is if i do death grip while talking.. Otherwise in school and in town I have amazing 5 bar reception

WickedRabbit

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2009
I'm not one to doubt Verizon's network (I dumped my 3GS listed below... which reminds me that I need to remove that) a while ago because of bad AT&T service and have had Verizon for a while now.

But, these reviews are being done BEFORE Verizon's network gets hammered on the 10th and subsequent months. So, I'd be a little cautious because they will no doubt be hit pretty hard over the next few months and that is technically when these reviews should be done. Not before because of course it's going to work fine now when there's probably less than a hundred iPhone's in the hands of media and personnel.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
No data during a call? Isn't that a huge step back?

For once I'm glad for our mobile phone networks in the UK!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.