Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Feb 2, 2011, 11:03 PM   #1
amnost
macrumors regular

Unhappy 11.6 inch MacBook Air display does not turn on when I open it

Just bought an 11.6 inch MacBook Air. Today I started having an issue with the display.

On the first day, when I lift the screen of the computer it comes on like it's supposed to (instant-on). But, as of today, when I lift the display the screen does not come on. Sometimes I have to restart using the power button to get the display back on. Other times I have to push a button on the keyboard, which makes a slight buzzing noise somewhere, and then it comes on after a couple seconds. Sometimes pushing a keyboard button doesn't work at all. Maybe this is related to the screen problems they've been having, because the display did flicker one time when I opened the computer, and then went back off. But, I thought that was already fixed in the most recent software update.

Any help?

Last edited by amnost; Feb 2, 2011 at 11:11 PM.
amnost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 11:49 PM   #2
BeyondtheTech
macrumors 65816

It's been a hit or miss for me too, even after the Software Update. Luckily, it hasn't happened all that often (come to think of it, I haven't experienced it at all in the last couple weeks).

For me, it appears that the backlight does not come on. I simply close the Air, wait a few seconds, then reopen and it usually does the trick.
BeyondtheTech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 02:13 PM   #3
richard371
macrumors 65816

Had this happen the first time today. It was the backlight that didn't turn on. I could still barely see the screen. Closed and reopened and it was fine. Sounds like a software and not a hardware issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheTech View Post
It's been a hit or miss for me too, even after the Software Update. Luckily, it hasn't happened all that often (come to think of it, I haven't experienced it at all in the last couple weeks).

For me, it appears that the backlight does not come on. I simply close the Air, wait a few seconds, then reopen and it usually does the trick.
richard371 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 02:42 PM   #4
poobear
macrumors 6502

If I understood you correctly you have http://discussions.info.apple.com/th...30327&tstart=0 this issue.
People have had success by not using Safari, some also put the blame on Flash.
poobear is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Tags
display, macbook air 11.6