Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:59 AM   #126
Kilger
macrumors newbie

Well I'm sitting here staring at the white box housing my 21.5 imac, got here about an hour ago and a day early in fact..just waiting for the wife to get home cause she wanted to be here when I unboxed it, so excited to make the switch!
Kilger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2011, 12:11 PM   #127
Str8shvr
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilger View Post
Well I'm sitting here staring at the white box housing my 21.5 imac, got here about an hour ago and a day early in fact..just waiting for the wife to get home cause she wanted to be here when I unboxed it, so excited to make the switch!
Congrats! Mine arrives (supposedly) on Friday
Old Feb 16, 2011, 12:21 PM   #128
hpx
macrumors newbie

Unhappy first 24 hours owning brand new iMac 27inch i5

I got frustrated and whole experience that should be pleasurable went into bitter tears !
I turned out I have Hardware issue right on arrival!!! See more on

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1097467

Should I press sales point on that mater and get it replaced or swallow this pill and just get it repaired? I wanted to feel the excitement now i even regret spending money!!!!!!!!
hpx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2011, 12:33 PM   #129
ngenerator
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Please, share your secret, how are you so relaxed when you're stuck not being able to open it? I'm ordering my 21.5" 3.20GHz i3 refurb this weekend so it will (hopefully) be delivered next week. I'm getting it shipped to work since I won't be home, so I'll have to deal with not opening it for a few hours also.

I bought a MacBook from the Apple store at the mall on Monday to tide me over till then, and then I'll just return it when I place my order. Also, it's better having two computers running Handbrake 22 hours a day to get my movies ready for the iMac as opposed to just having my 3 year old Dell Gotta love no restocking fees!
Old Feb 16, 2011, 03:27 PM   #130
crusher372
macrumors member

Jumped the Mac Mini Ship

Well after receiving a very good offer for my 2010 Mac Mini I picked up my new Imac 27" Core i7

Good grief what a difference in handbrake speeds. Used to take all night to convert 3-4 movies via the mini. Typical dvd convert takes about 14 mins now. Gotta love multi core processing

I will miss the Mini. It was an amazing little workhorse but I can already tell there will be no buyers remorse with this new iMac, even with a refresh looming. Perfect screen. No Yellowing or grey spots. Well heres to quad core computing and a beautiful screen to watch it all on
crusher372 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2011, 07:40 PM   #131
Kilger
macrumors newbie

Haha well it wasn't easy I just kept staring at the box, but I have a 3 month old son that helped keep me distracted lol...was able to open and set it up and I am in love, the screen looks huge to me so no telling how the 27 would look...overall very impressed just have to get used to it, currently moving my itunes account over.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 09:52 PM   #132
shreeenergy
macrumors newbie

Just started my migration. Hour and 45 minutes to go. Ugh.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 12:25 PM   #133
Kilger
macrumors newbie

Day 2 of iMac ownership is going great, I love this machine..my additional 4gb of ram arrived this morning so I'm not rocking 8gb..super easy to add and I am in love with this screen.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 02:26 PM   #134
ngenerator
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Day 2 of iMac ownership is going great, I love this machine..my additional 4gb of ram arrived this morning so I'm not rocking 8gb..super easy to add and I am in love with this screen.
That's exactly what I'm going to do, but I'll wait a few months before I add 4GB of RAM. That'll give me time to get used to it in a "slower" state first
Old Feb 17, 2011, 02:31 PM   #135
skiltrip
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I unboxed mine when I got it, but I didn't power it on until it was sitting on my desk for about 3-4 hours. Had to go to the inlaws for dinner!
Old Feb 17, 2011, 04:08 PM   #136
Str8shvr
macrumors newbie

The printer arrived today, tomorrow I should have the computer.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 09:55 AM   #137
Str8shvr
macrumors newbie

The iMac is on the truck for delivery....now to stay awake so I won't miss them. I'm a diabetic and my blood sugar dropped, when it starts coming up I get sleepy.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 10:17 AM   #138
skiltrip
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8shvr View Post
The iMac is on the truck for delivery....now to stay awake so I won't miss them. I'm a diabetic and my blood sugar dropped, when it starts coming up I get sleepy.
Hang in there brother. Must be a tease to have gotten the printer first.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 12:44 PM   #139
Str8shvr
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip View Post
Hang in there brother. Must be a tease to have gotten the printer first.
It's here. Now to wait for the pc to finish formatting.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 01:34 PM   #140
Whidbey
macrumors newbie

Waiting for the iMac

I placed my order for a 21.5" iMac yesterday and delivery is estimated to be tomorrow! Saturday! Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow, that would be nice.
Our printer is a couple days behind it, and an Apple remote I added in is shipping from HONG KONG, so who knows when that will arrive.

Anyway... I do have a question. When my iMac arrives, should I let it acclimatize to the inside of my house for a few hours as it's been sitting in a cold truck for a couple days?

James
Whidbey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2011, 06:01 PM   #141
rkaufmann87
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whidbey View Post
Anyway... I do have a question. When my iMac arrives, should I let it acclimatize to the inside of my house for a few hours as it's been sitting in a cold truck for a couple days?

James
That probably wouldn't hurt it at all. I live in California where the climate is pretty mild, a cold day here is in the mid 40's. If you live in a similar climate you can start using it right away, but if you live where it's 10 below, then yup let it sit inside for a couple of hours before turning it on. You can always take it out of the box and set it up to kill some time.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 06:03 PM   #142
Str8shvr
macrumors newbie

the new iMac is up and running, now to have FUN!
Old Feb 18, 2011, 06:12 PM   #143
ngenerator
macrumors 68000

I finally placed my order this morning for my 21.5" 3.20GHz i3 refurb I also have a nice little 4 day weekend to get my desk and external HDs ready for their new friend. I just had a quick question since I'm getting everything ready and didn't want to start a new thread. (I also searched and couldn't find much to help me.)

I'm debating installing my Windows 7 ultimate edition on my i3 via Boot Camp. I'm not going to be doing any gaming on it, and I'll be downloading Pages and Numbers once I'm up and running on the Mac App store. Would there be any other reason to install W7 if I'm not gaming or installing my Office 2007 discs? Let me know if you can think of any other reason
Old Feb 18, 2011, 07:45 PM   #144
skiltrip
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Mines going back too because of the FireWire issues. I'm getting a Mac Pro. No more messing around.
I said on page 5 that I was returning it. And I did Plan to. I got the return authorization from Apple. But i really wanted to keep this iMac cause it's gorgeous. So I put in some time, some research, and ive worked out my FireWire troubles. So I'm keeping the iMac!
Cool story, right bros?
Old Feb 18, 2011, 08:36 PM   #145
Str8shvr
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I said on page 5 that I was returning it. And I did Plan to. I got the return authorization from Apple. But i really wanted to keep this iMac cause it's gorgeous. So I put in some time, some research, and ive worked out my FireWire troubles. So I'm keeping the iMac!
Cool story, right bros?
I think you made the right choice. I'm lovin' mine!
Old Feb 18, 2011, 09:32 PM   #146
skiltrip
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8shvr View Post
I think you made the right choice. I'm lovin' mine!
Yeah. These things are amazing. No need to upgrade for a very long time with this i7 either.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 09:36 PM   #147
skiltrip
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whidbey View Post
I placed my order for a 21.5" iMac yesterday and delivery is estimated to be tomorrow! Saturday! Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow, that would be nice.
Our printer is a couple days behind it, and an Apple remote I added in is shipping from HONG KONG, so who knows when that will arrive.

James
I waited till mine warmed up. I unboxed it, put it on my desk, then went to the inlaws for dinner. When I got back I got my kid ready for bed, then I turned on the new iMac. It probably was sitting in my house for 3 hours or so before I powered on. I like to play it safe. It was pretty cold the day it came.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:02 PM   #148
ScrewTheDaisies
macrumors regular

I just ordered a 27" 3.6 GHz i5 with the SSD. I'm upgrading from a 24" 2.44 GHz C2D (which was also a refurb). Really looking forward to it. I have some desk cleaning to do to make room for it.
ScrewTheDaisies is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2011, 09:25 AM   #149
beeman07
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusher372 View Post
Well after receiving a very good offer for my 2010 Mac Mini I picked up my new Imac 27" Core i7

Good grief what a difference in handbrake speeds. Used to take all night to convert 3-4 movies via the mini. Typical dvd convert takes about 14 mins now. Gotta love multi core processing
Last week I replaced my four year old 24" iMac with a refurbished 27" Core i7 iMac and I, too, am amazed at how fast Handbrake can encode a movie. My average time dropped from two (or more) hours per movie to 13 minutes. I think the time is right to finally digitize my entire DVD collection!

Now to drop the old iMac off at my parent's house and convert them so I don't have to support their ancient XP system anymore. :-)

-Fred.
beeman07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:28 PM   #150
ptdavidson87
macrumors newbie

Picked up an 27" I5 2.6 late 2009 from the refurb store. Love the machine, loaded in 16GB of ram, had it two days.

And now it won't eject discs very well. About 1 and 3 discs get stuck ejecting. Discs have no problem going in and out of the 24" Imac that it was replacing. Looks like the super drive isn't quite centered.

Taking it to the apple store on Monday, hopefully they can swap the drive out.
ptdavidson87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Tags
imac 2011, thunderbolt