Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sackboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
UK
Hi all,

Long time visitor of this forum which proved very helpful in my decision and persuasion of finally converting from a PC to a Mac!

I bought the base 21inch i3 model along with Aperture 3, MS Office and the extended AppleCare with student discount. I couldn't be happier with my purchase, I was so impressed with the service I received from the Apple guys on the phone and delivery was in no time at all.

Is there any 'golden' tips I need to know? I've had it for 8 weeks now so I'm getting to grips with it although I only use it for photo editing, MS Word and the internet so nothing too heavy. I have also bought a 1TB external hard drive running with time machine.

Anywho thats enough about me, just wanted to say howdy!:)

Sackboy

silvo

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2010
Hello

Hello sackboy, and welcome. I too have been a long observer, and new iMac owner.
I am slowly getting the hang of Mac, finding it quite different to Windows, but enjoying every day.

You will find, as you know, the people on this forum are extremely helpful, and their humour is something else!!

Although I am a long way from helping, I hope you enjoy your Mac as much as I do.

Silvo

ArisFlackerbee

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2011
I did it!!!!!

Refurbished iMac 27-inch 2.93GHz Intel Quad-Core i7 processor

27-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
4GB memory
1TB hard drive
8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
ATI Radeon HD 5750 graphics with 1GB memory
Built-in iSight camera

Ordered last night. Says it'll ship any day next week!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO FREAKIN EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!

iMaccore2

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
Boston, MA
Refurbished iMac 27-inch 2.93GHz Intel Quad-Core i7 processor

27-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
4GB memory
1TB hard drive
8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
ATI Radeon HD 5750 graphics with 1GB memory
Built-in iSight camera

Ordered last night. Says it'll ship any day next week!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO FREAKIN EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats on a great computer! I'm sure you will be happy with it.

ArisFlackerbee

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2011
Thanks!!!!!!!

I’m a filmmaker, so I was encouraged to buy this model to help with faster rendering and processing times. I can’t wait to start working!!!

joek71

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2011
I too made the jump from PC to iMac, I had Apple IIc in 1984 that was my only Apple till now. I got the iMac i7 / 27" and I totally love it. Not going back to PC. Now considering on getting the iPad2 and maybe iPhone so everything will be centralized.

ArisFlackerbee

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2011
I definitely want the iPad, but I'm weary of the iPhone...even still with the new Verizon stuff...I still can't justify paying $100 a month for cell phone service. I only pay $60 with my Motorola Cliq (runs on Android with a data plan).

MacMojo1

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2006
Thanks!!!!!!!

I’m a filmmaker, so I was encouraged to buy this model to help with faster rendering and processing times. I can’t wait to start working!!!

Congrats, pick up the iPad and start using it as a control surface for Final Cut using touchosc.

Zetas

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2011
I definitely want the iPad, but I'm weary of the iPhone...even still with the new Verizon stuff...I still can't justify paying $100 a month for cell phone service. I only pay $60 with my Motorola Cliq (runs on Android with a data plan).

My AT&T bill is $75/month for the iphone, i have the cheapest available of everything, 450 minutes, unltd nights and weekends, 1500 txt messages, no tethering, 2gb data/month max.

ZilogZ80

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Congrats, pick up the iPad and start using it as a control surface for Final Cut using touchosc.
Wow, not seen that before. Completely useless to me, but looks like a great piece of software for those in the music biz! :D

T-bag

Jan 20, 2011
Congrats on ordering it! I just got mine. Can't believe that I'm typing this on my new flawless 27"! :D:D

precator

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2007
Just ordered new Imac

And looking to increase the memory. Looking to go from 4gb to 12 gb by installing 2 x 4gb chips. Can anyone recommend which place to get the chips one and which chip? It is confusing. I got the 2.8ghz i5 guad core..

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
MacSales and Newegg if you live on the North American continent.
You need 204-pin 1333 MHz PC3-10600 DDR3 SO-DIMM modules.

100% agree - those are the two places where I get memory (and other hardware) from. They always have good prices and fast shipments ... OWC (MacSales) also has always good tests and recommendations - I found there a way to put more memory in my small MacBook than officially supported - you can put your specific model in for advice.

precator

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2007
if someone could recommend a good brand name that is 2 x 4gb so i could go up to 12gb total I would really appreciate it and thank you kindly

Nov 28, 2010
located

No, as that is desktop RAM with 240 pins, you need laptop RAM with 204 pins.

Example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820349035 and http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/iMac/2010/DDR3_21.5_27

As to brand, Kingston and Crucial are often recommended.

Btw, to quote someone, just press the
quote.gif
button.

To quote several posts, use the
multiquote_off.gif
button (multi-quote).

To edit your posts, use the
edit.gif
button.

All these buttons are on the bottom right of the posts.

Minor Problems

6. Sequential posts.
Combine your comments into one post rather than making many consecutive posts to a thread within a short period of time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.